★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Dungeon of the Damned HD (iPad Only) $1.99 -> $0.99

01-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Dungeon of the Damned HD (iPad Only) $1.99 -> $0.99

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
01-25-2013, 12:06 PM
I just wanted to leave these here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Alrighty then...what can I say? I'm very pleasantly surprised!

First off, yes...this is a GameSalad game, but I'm glad to say that it doesn't hinder the experience one bit. There's frequent loading between areas, and it's unbelievable how quick the loading is considering this is made with GS. If the only reason you're NOT picking this up is because of GameSalad, you can rest assure it isn't a factor AT ALL.

Retina? Pretty damn sure it isn't, but it looks great on a retina screen. If you go through my posts, you'll know how anal I am about retina...so me not minding with this game is pretty impressive. Atmosphere is very closed and claustrophobic with tight corridors. I'm really digging it so far.

I haven't exactly played all that much, but I can safely say this one's a keeper for now. I have no idea how long the game is, but I know I wanna see this one through. The controls are perfect for this type of game and it all feels very natural. If the app description isn't clear enough, I just wanna point out that this is not a dungeon crawler, but an adventure game first and foremost. It is NOT an RPG and if you're thinking of holding out on this because Grimrock may come out at any time, you're a poopyhead. This is not Dungeon Master.

Even though the animations for the undead are alright (I'm not gonna say they're impressive or anything), that scare/jump/whatever factor has been nailed. Every single time I've bumped into a zombie, I've been unnerved. That...is a good thing.

Hmmm, what else can I say? Best played with headphones, definitely worth 2 bucks, hopefully a nice, long, pant-wetting journey and...yeah...pick this up. For sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
This game is what happens when you combine a developer with a strong vision, absolute commitment, and an impeccable work ethic, with a severe lack of technical resources. (If you want to know what happens when the opposite factors combine, pick up any adventure/RPG by Gameloft.)

In Señor Casket's impressions above, one thing jumped out at me above all: "This is not Dungeon Master." Right, I thought. That's pretty much all I need to know. How is it then, that this game reminds me of playing Dungeon Master more than any other I've played in the last couple of decades? In three words: attention to detail. This game is positively bursting at the seams with it. It feels like no corridor, no wall, has simply been randomly put in place. The game creates a truly cohesive world through the combination of its level design and narrative, a very deliberately paced experience, that so easily transcends its technical limitations that it's almost astounding.

Very highly recommended.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

Last edited by metalcasket; 01-25-2013 at 12:09 PM.