★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Wrestling Games?

07-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Wrestling Games?

I did a search of the app store and only found 2 wrestling games, TNA and WWE Legends. Are there any that are in development? I could really get into a old school type of wrestling game like the arcade classics Wrestlefest or Main Event.
07-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares4life View Post
I did a search of the app store and only found 2 wrestling games, TNA and WWE Legends. Are there any that are in development? I could really get into a old school type of wrestling game like the arcade classics Wrestlefest or Main Event.
You found TNA? What region are you in? I thought it was pulled about 2 or 3 months ago.

Anyway, besides that and WWE Legends of WM, that's about it for wrestling games on the iPhone. WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010 was out for about 2 days back in December or January, but was pulled for controls or some other issue and never actually came back to the app store. Nothing like Wrestlefest or Main Event. I only wish.

07-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I got TNA over a year ago and didn't know it was pulled. It wasn't really my cup of tea though. I guess I can only hope that some developer comes out with a good arcade type of wrestling game.
07-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares4life View Post
I got TNA over a year ago and didn't know it was pulled. It wasn't really my cup of tea though. I guess I can only hope that some developer comes out with a good arcade type of wrestling game.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I actually quite liked TNA (well, moreso than Legends of Wrestlemania or SVR 10 for iPhone), but I hear ya about wanting a good arcade wrestling game. Been looking for one of those since I came to the app store.

I think the chances of Wrestlefest getting re-released are pretty slim considering the licensing problems there would be with some of the wrestlers, but as far as I know, Konami still owns "Main Event", and they're active on the app store, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Personally, I'd love to see "Mat Mania", or a port of one of the Fire Pro Wrestling games, but I think the chances of either of those ever happening are pretty slim.

Last edited by Ouisch; 07-28-2010 at 03:50 PM.
07-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't know any wrestling games in development, but I know there's a UFC game being made.

Hakuna Matata
07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
I don't know any wrestling games in development, but I know there's a UFC game being made.
Heh, is it weird to be a big fan of wrestling... and not like UFC?

I've never been much of a fan of "real" fighting, guess I just like the flash, acrobatics, and over the top characters of wrestling. Though if drop-kicks, suplexes, and enzuigiris start showing up with great regularity in the UFC... I might become a convert.
07-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
Heh, is it weird to be a big fan of wrestling... and not like UFC?

I've never been much of a fan of "real" fighting, guess I just like the flash, acrobatics, and over the top characters of wrestling. Though if drop-kicks, suplexes, and enzuigiris start showing up with great regularity in the UFC... I might become a convert.
Yeah, I can understand that. Wrestling seems more entertaining than UFC and boxing. Especially Mexican/Lucha libre wrestling with the masks. Midget wrestling is pretty cool too

Hakuna Matata
07-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Is the WWE game any good? I've been thinking about buying it for months, but ever since I played the abomination that is Legends of Wrestlemania for PS3, I get second thoughts every time my mouse hovers over the "Buy" button...
07-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwhatever View Post
Is the WWE game any good? I've been thinking about buying it for months, but ever since I played the abomination that is Legends of Wrestlemania for PS3, I get second thoughts every time my mouse hovers over the "Buy" button...
No, not really. Since they updated the controls to a pad and buttons, it's a lot better than it was. Still a smallish roster, some glaring exceptions for a "Legends of Wrestlemania" game (no Hogan?), pretty crummy looking character models, a lack of variety of moves, generic entrances, etc etc. It seems like they spent more time on the "create a wrestler" side of the game than they did on the actual game itself (which doesn't really appeal to me).

If it was cheaper, maybe, but for the $4.99 price tag, I haven't played it enough to really justify it. I liked the TNA Wrestling app a lot better, but it was more of an RPG (and is now pulled).

However, at this point in time, if you want a wrestling game on your iPhone, you don't really have any other choices.
07-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Wait... how did you find TNA? What country do you live in? That game was the best RPG in the App Store for quite some time. In fact, I still find myself playing it here and there now, even after beating it twice and having games like Final Fantasy 2 and Chaos Rings. If there's any way you can buy it, get it before it gets pulled.

I also heard about another TNA game being made for the DS and iPhone, but unfortunately it won't be another awesome RPG like the original TNA wrestling.