Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

This morning, I had the opportunity to play (never played the original) and I was extremely impressed. The game reminds me of Draw Race 2, but it's hard to explain why. If you have the hardware that supports this game, it is definitely worth a free download. I am pretty sure this will make the New and Noteworthy today. I hope that Slotz Racer does not end up being a sleeper hit. You at least owe it to yourself to download and try one race...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

I downloaded it and tried it out. To me it feels like more of the same. I don't really see any big differences, although maybe they are there and I'm just not remembering how the original was, because it has been a while. Which is not to say that it isn't a good game. It is.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I downloaded it and tried it out. To me it feels like more of the same. I don't really see any big differences, although maybe they are there and I'm just not remembering how the original was, because it has been a while. Which is not to say that it isn't a good game. It is.
The only problem with the original IMHO is no retina/native iPad resolutions. We still play it (although that might be changing soon! )
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
The only problem with the original IMHO is no retina/native iPad resolutions. We still play it (although that might be changing soon! )
That's part of the difficulty with updating a game people already like

If you compare the two side by side though, apart from the upgraded graphics and sound, I've completely reworked the editor (especially on the iPad) to make it easier to build tracks and add scenery and the track manager/browser that we experimented with in the otherwise ill fated external SlotZ Racer Track Editor (an app which just caused confusion as people assumed there wasn't a track editor built into the actual game when there was) is now built into the game, with an online track server.

I've avoided messing with the gameplay and controls too much, other than adding features for newer car types like bikes etc. so they can wheelie and have different cornering characteristics from the cars but we completely reworked the championships, added in a trophy points system (and decals for winning races) and of course added all the Game Centre bits (and iCloud). One other minor feature that was requested a lot in the original is that you can now mix car types in a race. F1 cars vs bikes and a commuter car? no problem. Very handy for balancing against skill levels when playing friends who are just a bit too good

There's also the Car Editor and Pro Tunes options too of course.

Essentially, my main task with the 2.0 build was to relaunch the game so the fans of the original could still play it and new players could join in. Hopefully you're all still enjoying it as there's more to come
Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 AM

Here's a short track editor tutorial I've prepared for you all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXHiE...layer_embedded
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
Just thought I'd post in case anyone else is like me and likes their slotcar racing a little slower with some drifting.

I set up my options so its
10% scale speed
0% grip
And 75% throttle
(And trails off)

I couldn't wait so went ahead and downloaded it from the NZ store to have a play around with it
Can't wait until midnight hits and I'll be buying the extra IAP's
Brilliant game.
Thanks for this!! The game is SO much better with a lower scale speed...
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot5 View Post
Thanks for this!! The game is SO much better with a lower scale speed...
I agree, it goes so fast as default that it might put some people off. And with it being hidden inside options, player options, advanced. There's going to be people delete it without even figuring out how to lower the speed.

I'm loving it so far though, just about to start making a track today. I can't stop playing quick race, all I've done so far is the first three championships and loads of quick races.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Thanks to a player emailing us to let us know, we've fixed a glitch that could cause a problem with the Caterham Pack. If you buy it on its own, without the Race Pack, you unlock the cars, but not the extra features such as the Car Editor etc.

If you've bought the Race Pack, or you've got SlotZ Racer, the other features will already have unlocked.

The good news is I've eliminated the little blighter and I'm testing an update now that fixes that, as well as a couple of minor tweaks.

Firstly, I've managed to trim 1mb off the download size

Secondly, I've added a button for "Relaxed" mode. This changes the car speeds, grip and acceleration to something similar to what oooooomonkey has been using so the cars are all a bit slower and slippier (and it's on the main page of Game Options, not an advanced option I've moved Player Setup to the "more settings" page to make room on the iPhone/iPod).

I'll be submitting the new version tonight after some very intense testing and then I'll be taking a step back to plan the first proper feature update.

Thanks for the input and feedback everyone!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

Default Championship mode?

How can you play in the Championship mode??

Every race (including the first three Junior ones that are needed to advance) are greyed out.

It'd be nice if this info was included in the game.

CT
Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts125 View Post
How can you play in the Championship mode??

Every race (including the first three Junior ones that are needed to advance) are greyed out.

It'd be nice if this info was included in the game.

CT
They're grey if you haven't won them yet. If you tap on them, they should pop up a panel where you can set a difficulty and start that championship.

One other minor bug that's getting fixed in tonight's update is that on the iPhone 5, the hit zones around the buttons can be a little offset, so you have to tap around them a little (one of those last second UI tweaks that backfired), so if you're playing on an iPhone that might be the issue.