★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Prune - A tree pruning game

05-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Prune - Cultivate What Matters [beta]

Hi! I'm working on Prune, an upcoming iOS game all about cultivating trees. With a swipe of a finger, grow and shape each tree into a unique piece of art while avoiding the dangers of a hostile world.

Here's the recent teaser I released:

And a couple semi-out-dated screenshots.

Last edited by noethis; 06-18-2015 at 09:48 AM.
05-21-2015, 10:14 AM
That's something my kid might like as well . Depends on the "dangers of a hostile world" you mentioned. Will this be suitable for an almost 4-year old?
I really like the Japanese woodcut style of the screenshots, makes it interesting for me too.

05-21-2015, 08:31 PM
This looks amazing! I can't wait to play it

Working on DARTHY
Games currently playing - Goblin Sword, Electronic Super Joy, BF4, Super Meat Boy,
05-22-2015, 01:38 AM
Looks really interesting. Great job with the teaser trailer!
05-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
That's something my kid might like as well . Depends on the "dangers of a hostile world" you mentioned. Will this be suitable for an almost 4-year old?
I really like the Japanese woodcut style of the screenshots, makes it interesting for me too.
Yeah, my 4 year old plays it and loves making crazy trees with it.
05-22-2015, 09:50 AM
I was talking to this guy yesterday about his game Zen Koi. This seems in the same genre. Liked by small children and older people who want to relax.

I like the game concept and I like that it's called prune. Not sure I dig the tagline. It's kind of redundant. Just from the title, I already assumed that it either involved the fruit or trimming of trees. Taglines arent bad but your game is about simplicity itself.
05-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noethis View Post
Yeah, my 4 year old plays it and loves making crazy trees with it.
Nice, thanks for the info! Will take a look for sure then once it's released.
I forgot you made Zen Koi too, as CharredDirt reminded me.
We both liked to just let the fish swim around, but the IAP-heavy restrictions (e.g. on available fish slots) and the repetitiveness/grind turned me away from the "game" part of it. My son really liked the fishes, the more colorful the better

If you have children in your (potential) audience, either do not include any IAP from the start; or make an IAP-free, price-upfront version as well. A single "unlock all" IAP is just borderline acceptable, but also gets minus points. And not only from me; e.g. MomswithApps has these as first 4 search exclusion criteria:
Works without internet, No in-app purchases, No links to social networks, No advertising.
05-22-2015, 03:42 PM
CharredDirt: Interesting point about the tagline. You're referring to the one on the website, right ("Cultivate what matters. Cut away the rest")? I partly added it because I think not everybody instantly knows what prune/pruning is. It's probably not going to show up anywhere other than on the website though.

RE: Zen Koi - Interesting looking game, I'll have to check it out! I'm not going to be putting any IAP into Prune, btw.
05-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Oh oops, totally misread Charred's post, blame it on being tired.
I interpreted "talked to this guy" as "talked to noethis", way off the mark
Very nice to hear that you'll be IAP-free, my kid's iPad says hi to Prune (and mine too).

Hhmm, even as a non-native English speaker I know what pruning is. But then I like bonsais, so maybe that's not as common as I'd guess.
06-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Hey, if anybody is interested I'm going to be doing a short beta test of Prune here in the coming days. Looking for general feedback as well as any issues/bugs that crop up. It'll probably be through TestFlight. Pretty much any iOS device should be fine.

Shoot me an email if you want in! joel@prunegame.com