★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: In order to become a Higher Spheres University student every
challenger has to show his skills in a special card game, which requires to think wisely, to benefit from natural and magic forces and to see opponent's weaknesses. Battle Mages liked this game so much that for their fights they changed battle sticks for cards.

The dusty University archives store separate fragments of the Shortki's diary describing the lost world completely ruled by magical towers. The most advanced graduates of the battle ontology chair endeavor to conquer the Land of Towers. Well now it's your turn!

* simple game mechanics where playing one card after another one has to lift its tower skyhigh or to precipitate the opponent's tower to the ground. But you can achieve significant victories only taking specifics of cards and of their creation into account;
* a vast map of magical towers, plan the strategy of conquering;
* a lot of valuable medals and awards to improve your abilities;
* special quests with special awards for their completion;
* the cunning Lord standing in your way;
* the mystery of the Land of Towers from the Shortki's diary
are waiting for you.

"It has a compelling, strategic overworld element, combined with tactical battles, achievements, alternate win conditions, upgrades, and a beautifully rich and thematic world." djflippy, Senior Member of touchArcade forum.

"Basically if you play Strongholds and want more depth in the battles and a more strategic long-term campaign mode... then you will LOVE this game. I've been playing non-stop personally." writingsama, Senior Member of touchArcade forum.

"It's definitely a great game, and I'm still figuring out nuances of the gameplay. Believe me, this will not be a game that you can just zip through in a few hours." Big Albie, Senior Member of touchArcade forum.

07-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Looks very nice !

Too much for my wallet tho

07-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Damn, looks good... I just spent the last of my money earlier today... >.<

No Sig
07-03-2009, 10:08 PM
[add to cart]

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
07-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Looks great, I invited the dev to the forums.

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper
07-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
Looks great, I invited the dev to the forums.
cool, would like to see the dev here...the game looks interesting, but I'm not really sure exactly what's going on
07-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I wonder if it's anything like Strongholds?

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper
07-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
I wonder if it's anything like Strongholds?
It kind of sounds like it from the game description...I was also thinking of Castle Conflict but with spells instead of knights, etc.
07-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Midevil Strongholds ... with more Polish

The game's directions are confusing when first beginning this offering. The narrative seems cryptic and incomplete, however once you start playing the game, it becomes clear that this is the same exact rule set, with the same set pieces as Strongholds.

You have a Tower, and a Wall with X amount of Hitpoints. You have three types of resources, that have their own levels. And then you have your choice of fire cards in your hand to either take down the enemies wall and/or tower, and manipulate one of three types of resources.

The game itself is very polished and the graphics are top flight, well produced. The macro game has you trying to take over towers on a map so you can get to the "Lord's" tower, the end boss. During this race across the map, you gain experience points and earn approximately 15 different achievements and 15 different medals.

When you begin your campaign you can pull in a picture from your photo library to represent you, and then add your name. The game then rolls in to a tutorial that you read before you start.

All in all, a very nice game, however the core play mechanics are the exact same as Stronghold, just wrapped in a campaign and achievement wrapper that will give this game a reason for you to keep poking at it. Add multi-player as the developer indicated and you can have keeper on your I Device.

If I was to pick a page on my iPhone as a rating, one being front page, and page eight being the island of misfit apps, I would put this on my 3rd Page.

TowerLand
"Page 3 Rating"

Munkie!

Looking for a cool sig.
07-04-2009, 02:00 AM
Simply gorgeous

First and foremost, the most striking thing you'll notice when you boot this up is how gorgeous the artwork is. The illustrator has painstakingly addressed every little detail of each piece and it shows. The world map looks just like a map from medieval times and a nice one, at that. It's several screens tall and wide, so the player can freely pan around with a swipe. The background of the battle view has tiny blue waves that float back and forth and very stylish line art clouds and symbols that float through the sky. Definitely top-tier work.

The game itself consists of moving from location to location on the overworld map and then attacking enemy towers. This happens on a separate battle screen, upon which you'll spend most of your time. As shown in the screenshots, you have a tower on the left and the AI opponent has a tower on the right. Each tower consists of an outer wall and an inner keep, each with a separate armor value. The end-game condition is destroying the opponent's tower or building your own to a predefined height. I like having two different victory conditions and have won battles using both methods.

Battle consists of the two combatants alternating cardplay, to damage the opponent's tower or fortify their own. You are dealt a random assortment of 5 cards, at the beginning of the match, as is the opponent (although his are not visible). The card is played, the effects trigger, and then it is discarded and replaced with a new one. Each card has an arrow to indicate whether it is defensive or offensive, a resource cost, and the amount and type of damage or repair that does.

Some cards also provide Resource Points or Source Points; Resource Points are the cost to play the card and Source Points are the multiplier for when points are obtained. Each turn you get additional points added to your Resource Pools, which are then multiplied by your Source Points. There are three types of Resource Pools; Magic (blue), Spirit (green), and Material (red). They utilize a rock, paper, scissors mechanic, in which a certain color is more effective against the next one in line; Matter > Spirit > Magic > Matter (it wraps around to form a circle).

All of the aforementioned factors are interrelated, and because the cards are dealt randomly, the battles can be quite interesting and even contain some tactical decision-making. There is some amount of strategy with how you move across the overworld map, as well, because different towers have different numbers of neighboring nodes. The game has a good number of Quests, which are the equivalent of an achievement system, there are ability upgrades that you purchase with experience points, you have a player rating and can upload your own icon art, a thorough explanation of each card, and even the instructions are beautiful.

As you can tell, I was impressed, partially due to the fact that it came out of nowhere and also because it is polished to almost to perfection. I say almost, because the story isn't properly translated and I had some other minor quibbles. It may seem like I am gushing about this game, so I want to be perfectly clear; this is not Orions: Legend of Wizards level cardplay. It's just a few simple variables, with no deck-building, no special abilities, and no card combos. I say this because the gameplay may not be for everyone, but for me, it was well worth the asking price and I look forward to playing through the entire campaign.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL