Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-22-2010, 03:53 AM
iPad

Default Oddy Smog's Misadventure - v1.5.1 (99)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Old 06-22-2010, 04:02 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

...You know this is gonna be one of those itches that just needs to be scratched.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

WOW. Those screenshots look extremely inviting. I think I may have to try this out.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:57 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Yeah, the game looks excellent from the trailers. Need impressions ASAP so I can get buying it
Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

The screens for this game do no justice for the game. The video gives a much better feel.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Bought. Impressions later.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Love it. It plays a lot like Jump'O'Clock. But honestly, the real star of the show is the stunning, dark visuals. I absolutely love the unique environmental interactions, i.e. Power ups/increasingly difficult obstacles etc...

It's a jumping game, so if you dislike them, avoid.

On strength of the style alone, I'd say it is a very good one.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Okay, first off. WHY DOES THIS GAME NOT HAVE ONLINE LEADERBOARDS???

Okay, sorry, just had to get that one off my chest. Seriously, for this kind of game, why are the scores limited to the user's device or to be feebly twittered out. Hoping that the developers sort this out ASAP!

"Is there a way out? If you don't look for it, you'll never know"...

...hah, thanks. That's one of the many messages that you'll be seeing after falling back in the all-encompassing black smog that's constantly advancing to envelop you, making you one of their own. Oh, and just so that you know, I think you'll be seeing a lot of these messages because it's so damn hard and there is a knack you'll have to get down. Luckily, perhaps, the developer has anticipated this by giving you a practice mode to hone those skills. Now, I'm not a bad player, but goddamnit, I needed that mode...

"Some say there is white smog up there."

...one day, maybe not one day soon, I'm gonna find it. And isn't that the point of these kinds of games? If the gameplay, the incentives, the music, the game mechanics, the extra little twists and turns are pitched just right, the player will want to come back and find out... I think, a lot of players will want to find out.

"You will grow wiser after each failure."

...which there will be a lot of, but I think it's because of the control system. Two buttons, luckily not visible, left and right of the screen. The right side is pressed to get Oddy to hold onto a spinning disk, releasing it will send it off in whatever direction he (?) is spinning. Note, I said spinning, and NOT facing, this will catch you out and, thus, require the practice. Watch the video if you're not getting this, but you fly out at a tangent and not directly. Trust me, it'll come to you, eventually, after failure, after failure, after.. ahem.. The left hand-side of the screen is for an extra hop. Meaning, well, during mid-flight, you can press it once to jump extra far, but only once per hop. Just one, not two, not three, not four... don't keep smashing it in desperate hope... you were warned. Once you land on a spinning disk and lift off again, you can perform the extra jump again. There's a knack. You'll get it. You have to. Otherwise you'll be throwing your device against the opposing wall.

"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try. (Yoda)"

...clearly the developers have a sense of humour.

...along you painfull and hastened ascent, you'll be given a chance to rescue a few more of your smog buddies... and these act as multipliers that can significantly boost the score which, incidently, is measured in metres... But Oddy fear not, because as you go up, you'll be presented with a wide range of platforms and other contraptions that will help, watching the video will give you a better idea! Go. Watch. Oh yeah, before someone asks, ahem... I wonder who? No, it's not scripted, so each time you try, the platforms are all be mixed up fine'n'dandy for your jumping pleasure.

"The smog must not leave the island!"

...okay, thanks, I'll add that to my to-do list.

Options include "music", "sfx" and training. That's it. For some this may be a problem as there appears to be no way to switch the controls. Oh, and the orientation of the screen is fixed, no way to flip which is gonna bug some iTouch owners... sorry... maybe drill a hole in your hand? Okay, scratch that...

Think Dizzy Pad, think Jump o'clock, and then think, well, how much harder could this game be made, and you're somewhat there. Yet, despite all of this, I think it's a great game for $0.99, hell, I've had more expensive dumps in my time that result in less satisfaction. This game is very well put together and, at least for me, such a welcome relief from a very stagnant genre. The music doesn't grind, it's well thought out and I'm plain 'ole enjoying it. I think a lot of other players are going to agree.

now... one final point. PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF THE SMOG, LEADERBOARDS???

"Break free, defy the system, defeat the smog."

Great
Game

Last edited by ataloss; 06-22-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Old 06-22-2010, 12:01 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

NICE essay friend.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataloss View Post
Oh yeah, before someone asks, ahem... I wonder who? No, it's not scripted, so each time you try, the platforms are all be mixed up fine'n'dandy for your jumping pleasure.
Yeah, who the heck would ask that kind of nonsense?