Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Jailbreaking and Installer Apps

Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen)

Default Use console controls on iPad? Possible in theory?

OK, I don't mean the Wiimote when I ask this. I mean, for example, Xbox 360 pads and controllers, or PS3 etc.

Is it theoretically even possible to use them?

For example, could a port connector be made, or a bluetooth attachment to transmit control input to iOS?

I have an iCade and iControlpad, but they are not nearly as good as the pads and arcade stick I have for my XB360.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Xbox and ps3 controller can't be connected to ipad because of propietary codes. Which means they are licenced and can not be used by diffirent systems. I.e. Xbox360 controller can't be used on a ps3, even though both are wireless.

There are a few ways, but they aren't very usefull and doesn't work on ios games. They do work however on pc games and even ps3 games, yep thats right you can play ps3 games on your ipad....in theory. I'll explain it later. First things first.

How to play pc games on your pc:

Things you need:
- ipad
- pc ( not a mac)
- xbox360 controller (optional)
- dongle adapter (optional)

1 - For pc games al you need is an xbox360 controller and an app called 'splashtop'. Splashtop is an legal app and can be purchased in the app store. Once downloaden follow instructions and download splashtop on your pc. (links will be given through the app).

2(optional) - After you got splashtop you can connect the xboxcontroller to your pc. Use google to see how, its not that hard as long as you have a microsoft pc instead of a mac.
If you want full control with the xbox controller and also control the mousecursor with it download a program on your pc called ControlMK. This lets you remap the controls of the controller. If you want wireless control use a 'dongle addapter'.
Although i'm not completly sure if this works

3 - Run splashtop to control your pc via ipad. Start up a game. (the game MUST be run in windowed mode, otherwise the game won't work. And as long as the controller has a connection with the dongle addapter you should be able to play pc games with an xbox controller on your ipad.

IMPORTANT: i have tried splashtop and i can play games like WOW, Diablo 3 and Spacecraft 2 on the ipad. The thing is, its still a bit laggy. Unfortunatly i haven't got an xbox360 but a ps3. When i had an xbox (which i sold to buy a ps3) i could connect my xbox controller to the pc. So as long as you have a connection or wire you can use the xbox to control the pc while watching your ipad. Thus playing pc games with an controller on ipad.

How to play ps3 games on your ipad:

Things you need:
- ipad
- pc
- ps3
- ps3 eagle eye
- ps3 capture card
- usb keyboard
- usb mouse
- every air app (i'm not sure if it works with splashtop, and no i wont tell you where to get the every air app)

1 - again download the everyair app (or splashtop, if it works...) and start it up like i explained above. So that the pc screen is transferred to the ipad. So you can control you pc via ipad again.

2 - now comes the tricky part. You'll need to start up your ps3 and insert the game you want. Now use the capture card to send everything thats happening on your ps3 screen to your pc (who in turn will send it to your ipad).

3 - you still can't controll the game, this is why you need the eagle eye for ps3, this will let you play your ps3 games with a keyboard and a mouse (usb not wireless). Everyair understands the button gestures, im not sure if splashtop does that too. Although splashtop also comes with a build in keyboard.

IMPORTANT: i havent tried this myself because capture cards are redicilously expansive and its very hard to find an eagle eye or anything like it where i live. You probbably spend around 250+ bucks for both items. A bit expensive for testing something out. And i'm not entirely sure if you can use the ps3 controller, but i think you can as long as you are in range of you ps3.

In theory its possible and there are some movies on youtube. Bassicly you start up the ps3 game with the usb keyboard and mouse connected and send the video data to the pc by using the capture card. Everyair wil translate the button you presses and send the video data from the pc allong with the button presses to your ipad.
In short the data will be send: ps3--->pc--->ipad.

Short answer: no you cant use a xbox360 or ps3 controller on your ipad, although you might be able to use it using methods i described above.
And yes this was quite the store and a pain in the *ss to type.
Sorry for spelling and grammar btw, im Dutch so English isn't my native language.

Last edited by Duss321; 07-08-2012 at 11:57 AM..
Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 PM
iPad 2

I actually think it might be possible and not with a fake way either. Since on the computer you can use the PS3 controller as a controller device it should technically be possible on an ipad. Someone just has to create the proper drivers so the PS3 controller can sync to the ipad and the ipad recognizes the inputs from the controller. Whether someone has done that yet I don't know.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Yep but creating those drivers is harder then it might seem. Not saying it's impossible. But it is very difficult to do. And i know they are fake, but the ways i described are they only way to control a game with those controllers on Ipad.
Don't get me wrong because i would love to play some games with a decent controller!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:45 PM
iPad 2

I understand. If one person was willing to create drivers I'm sure there is some other madman out there willing to create some for the ipad.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:56 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

True. But on the other wouldn't have people already this before using the wiimotes? I mean in 3 years time there should be at least some info on this if it could be done.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:08 PM
iPad 2

Well blutrol said they would have ps3 sixaxis controller support. At least that's what someone said in the other thread that is exactly the same as this, "can you use ps3 controller"
Old 07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Not saying its impossible, just saying its unlikely.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:56 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

If the code is proprietary then why can android use ps3 controller? Not like there's official support from Sony. Just wondering.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:57 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Thats true it can be done using a pairing tool, but you'll need usb acces to do that. Therefore its impossible on IOS devices. You need to wire the PS3 controller to your android phone or tablet by usb.

Check this site for more info:
http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/09/use...sing-this-app/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ringtool&hl=nl

There are also a lot of vids on youtube and info on google telling you how to do this and that it's not possible for ios devices. Maybe in the future it will be possible. I hope so.

Last edited by Duss321; 07-13-2012 at 07:00 AM..