Giving away an app query

02-12-2013, 01:39 PM
#1
Giving away an app query

Hi


Say you have a successful app but want to give away your app to specific people, what is the best way so that the app stays on the app store at the same price for everyone else?


Edit: on IOS

Last edited by Gandalf; 02-12-2013 at 01:42 PM.
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
#2
deleted

Last edited by zooom18; 04-21-2014 at 07:15 PM.

02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooom18 View Post
Promotional codes are the only way to do this. You can download 50 per app version from iTunes connect.
thanks for the swift reply


is there no way of paying apple for additional codes for the lost 30% they would normally receive?

how do apps like appgratis freeappaday do it? ive never used them but i assume the apps they give are only free in their app
02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
thanks for the swift reply


is there no way of paying apple for additional codes for the lost 30% they would normally receive?

how do apps like appgratis freeappaday do it? ive never used them but i assume the apps they give are only free in their app
You can gift it to people. For things like FAAD, the developer drops the price to free for everyone.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And a bunch of other games you've never heard of!
02-12-2013, 02:08 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
You can gift it to people. For things like FAAD, the developer drops the price to free for everyone.
Thanks for the info


Alternatively instead of gifting the app what if i built in a log in page so staff can log in to my server for full access?
What do you think would apples take be on this?

Last edited by Gandalf; 02-12-2013 at 02:17 PM.
02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
You can gift it to people. For things like FAAD, the developer drops the price to free for everyone.
When you say "gift it to people" is that tied into your 2nd sentence? so gift as in make the price $0 or gift as in able to link to their account without promo codes?

sorry if it seems like a stupid question
02-12-2013, 02:27 PM
#7
anyone any idea how this promo works, it appears to give a lot of codes and was on a popular subreddit for a few hours

http://uk.ign.com/prime/promo/needforspeed

Last edited by Gandalf; 02-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.
02-12-2013, 02:48 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
When you say "gift it to people" is that tied into your 2nd sentence? so gift as in make the price $0 or gift as in able to link to their account without promo codes?

sorry if it seems like a stupid question
No - Gifting is one thing, price dropping is another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
anyone any idea how this promo works, it appears to give a lot of codes and was on a popular subreddit for a few hours

http://uk.ign.com/prime/promo/needforspeed
Since NFS is an EA game, I'd assume it's a special deal with Apple.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And a bunch of other games you've never heard of!
02-13-2013, 07:07 AM
#9
You can also make a free version with full features unlock by in-app.
And you can add a special code to unlock the full version without using the in-app.
(code can be unique and verify on your server).
02-13-2013, 08:53 AM
#10
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
anyone any idea how this promo works, it appears to give a lot of codes and was on a popular subreddit for a few hours

http://uk.ign.com/prime/promo/needforspeed
I assume they used the App Store Volume Purchasing for Business scheme.

http://www.apple.com/business/vpp/