Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Can you either flip the controls or position them yourself?
I'd much prefer to have the virtual controls on my left hand.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:55 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Properly looking forward to this one.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
The Game would be probably great if the Control System wouldn`t be such a huge pain in the a**.
The control system is excellent; it just takes a little getting used to. Try thinking of your skier as an actual person with real world physics applied instead of "Mario." (i.e. You can't alter inertia or halt momentum in mid-air so well, so plan ahead and use subtle inputs.) In any case, the game is clearly built around its control method specifically.

One thing that is required is the option to resize and reposition the controls on the iPad. Personally, I'd like the "circle" to be smaller.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to say "ass."
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Kudos to whoever did the design on this game. It looks really cool. Hoping the gameplay equals this - if so, could be a top game!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
The Game would be probably great if the Control System wouldn`t be such a huge pain in the a**.
Hey Sanuku,

Well you're definitely not the first or last, I'm sure, to get frustrated by the controls. :-) I completely understand the frustration.

I got to thinking about this today at work. (It's very hard to work when you just released your first game on iOS.)

I came up with the following analogy that I may put right in the iTunes description for the game:

Regarding Krashlander Controls:

If you were to plot the learning-curve for Krashlander against the curve for learning to ride a bike, I think you'd find they match up pretty well.

When you first attempted to ride a bike you most likely wobbled and over-steered alot. You also probably fell on your butt more than a few times. Learning to play krashlander is a lot like that.

I doubt anyone looks back and thinks learning to ride a bike wasn't worth the trouble. I think (hope) you will feel the same way about krashlander.

Take your lumps, tune your motor skills, and I believe you'll be happy that you did.

-Jeff
Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I'm with Gabrien on one point, the game IS the controls. Change those and you're left with something far more average and unexciting. I'm fine with the size of the circle though as I play with my index finger, playing with thumbs on an iPad is always asking for trouble. Still, options don't hurt anybody.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshW66 View Post
Kudos to whoever did the design on this game. It looks really cool. Hoping the gameplay equals this - if so, could be a top game!
Thanks Josh,

Always good to hear. Graphical design is always a struggle for me. It's why I tried to keep things simple and minimalist.

-Jeff
Old 02-06-2013, 04:56 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
The control system is excellent; it just takes a little getting used to. Try thinking of your skier as an actual person with real world physics applied instead of "Mario." (i.e. You can't alter inertia or halt momentum in mid-air so well, so plan ahead and use subtle inputs.) In any case, the game is clearly built around its control method specifically.

One thing that is required is the option to resize and reposition the controls on the iPad. Personally, I'd like the "circle" to be smaller.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to say "ass."
Thanks for posting tips on the controls... there is a certain mind-set you have to get into really get good at the game. When it clicks, the game really isn't that difficult.

I'll copy/paste your controls suggestion into my list of possible updates. No promises, but it does sound like a good idea.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
Can you either flip the controls or position them yourself?
I'd much prefer to have the virtual controls on my left hand.
Gabrien suggested the same thing... it's going into my backlog of things to consider... Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWeber View Post
Hey Sanuku,

Well you're definitely not the first or last, I'm sure, to get frustrated by the controls. :-) I completely understand the frustration.

I got to thinking about this today at work. (It's very hard to work when you just released your first game on iOS.)

I came up with the following analogy that I may put right in the iTunes description for the game:

Regarding Krashlander Controls:

If you were to plot the learning-curve for Krashlander against the curve for learning to ride a bike, I think you'd find they match up pretty well.

When you first attempted to ride a bike you most likely wobbled and over-steered alot. You also probably fell on your butt more than a few times. Learning to play krashlander is a lot like that.

I doubt anyone looks back and thinks learning to ride a bike wasn't worth the trouble. I think (hope) you will feel the same way about krashlander.

Take your lumps, tune your motor skills, and I believe you'll be happy that you did.

-Jeff
One thought I had: it might be worth focusing on making it clearer that the control input is really an analog stick, and that subtle input is not only possible but required. Because of the graphic representation on screen, I think the impulse is to "press" on the displayed images as opposed to sliding your thumb around.