★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Bike or Die 2, too bouncy?

12-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
Bike or Die 2, too bouncy?

Just been playing this game and keep getting so frustrated because the bike is so bouncy! In my experience, there really is just as much dying as there is biking, and it's so frikkin annoying!
Anyway was just wondering if this was just me or if anyone else was thinking this too. I guess I'm comparing to the old game (and I have sneaky idea this is where the concept was stolen from) Elasto Mania which is a much better game, and I challenge people to download it and try it so they too can compare the two.
Well if you agree with me, kick up a fuss in this thread and hopefully it will then be attended to by the devs.

--Paul

Edit: Elasto Mania is not on iPhone but on PC. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by Paulio; 12-04-2008 at 11:53 AM.
12-04-2008, 11:13 AM
I agree the bike is a little to bouncy and they need to fix it I don't mind the dying so much though as the bounciness makes the game challenging and also if they change it then all the levels would have to be re-evaluated which makes it an extremely complex more to make.

12-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! The game is perfect how it is! This is what makes the game SO FREAKING HARD, but SO fun!!!

I hope they don't change it but I wouldn't mind if they had an option for a sturdy, heavy bike or a bouncy, rubber one

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
12-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Well I've spent a lot of time playing Elasto Mania, and trust me it is almost exactly the same, except bike or die is mixed in between with jelly car. This isn't a good thing. Think about it, jelly car does not die when you flip it, it never dies (unless you truly squish it) so you can not and should not apply its concept to a completly different game where you do die. It makes it impossible.
And no it won't be extremely complex to change it. I can guarantee that I can do every single track I have seen on it with better speed, more precision and a better success rate with the Elma bike engine. You can also do more things to advance levels like catch you front/back wheel on land to get to different places and use the suspension system to launch yourself off the ground. If you try to do these things in BoD2 you die. Why? Because the suspension is too soft and the recoil is too strong. I really reccommend giving Elasto Mania a go because it really makes you think of the potential BoD2 has, and that's why I posted in the first place.
12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
Well I've spent a lot of time playing Elasto Mania, and trust me it is almost exactly the same, except bike or die is mixed in between with jelly car. This isn't a good thing. Think about it, jelly car does not die when you flip it, it never dies (unless you truly squish it) so you can not and should not apply its concept to a completly different game where you do die. It makes it impossible.
And no it won't be extremely complex to change it. I can guarantee that I can do every single track I have seen on it with better speed, more precision and a better success rate with the Elma bike engine. You can also do more things to advance levels like catch you front/back wheel on land to get to different places and use the suspension system to launch yourself off the ground. If you try to do these things in BoD2 you die. Why? Because the suspension is too soft and the recoil is too strong. I really reccommend giving Elasto Mania a go because it really makes you think of the potential BoD2 has, and that's why I posted in the first place.
Is Elasto Mania available on the iPhone? I don't see it on the app store.

Also, Jelly Car's controls are just ridiculous compared to BoD2's. It's too hard to get the car to stay up. :P

I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I personally hated Jelly Car, but love BoD2.
I completely agree that it's ridiculously hard, and my completion ration is 0.01% which is stupid. I have to admit that it's getting to the point that it's so hard, that I can't complete anything. There's something about trying one level 100 times, 200 times, maybe even 300 times, but there comes a time where you have to be realistic and just wonder will you ever by able to complete the level...
And if you do, it's almost more luck than anything else.
I am getting to the point where I am coming back to this game less and less as it's just not fun to keep dying over and over and over and over and over (you get the point)

I'm however on the fence at this time. I think I could enjoy actually trying to go fast and pull off stunts on a regular basis in order to complete a level...
I don't know anymore...kind of like how I feel about the Big Cheese level and so many other levels....just don't think I can do them with the current physics of the game unless I totally luck out, and if I do, I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to replicate it

Edit:
Ok, after re-reading my post, I think maybe I would be ok with some option that makes this game more achievable...I kind of like the different bike options...use the one that suits your style and level...interesting!

Last edited by Mr. Charley; 12-04-2008 at 11:48 AM.
12-04-2008, 11:51 AM
K I see your point, you think that it's impossibility makes it awesome. Well It is. I do love the game, don't get me wrong, but just because Elma is sturdyer doesn't mean it's easy. It too can be so close to impossible it's not funny, but.. It's hard to explain. I beg you to test it out, get an opinion on it and then tell me what you think. I guess what mostly annoys me is just how much slower you have to do everything and you die from something that would actually cause you (or should) no harm in RL.

Anyway I quite like your idea on having two bikes, one hard one soft. But I was thinking of possibly having a suspension softness and recoil adjuster just like on real MTBs. Tho I have no idea how hard this would be to code.
Seriously tho, check out Elasto Mania for PC. Even if you love you unrealistically soft suspension it's such an awesome game, just like Bike or Die 2.
12-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree, the bike is too bouncy. Also, it's way too easy for the rider to die. If his foot or hand touches a rock, he shouldn't keel over. That should be remedied in an update.

I understand that the game should be challenging, but this seems a little too extreme. Worse case, there should be a setting to adjust the difficulty or something so that the rider doesn't die so easily.
12-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Yay someone who completely agrees ^^

Well I'm guessing some people probably don't have PCs (lucky) so here are the main advantages of Elma over BoD2:

Only way you can die is by hitting your head on solid object or by hitting a tire onto a spiketrap.
The kicking is much more controlled and harder/faster response.
The suspension system, although also unrealistic, is at a much more controllable tension. You have to fall from a pretty big height to go through you bike and die. (but not too high)
You can hook one wheel onto a thin piece of 'land' so that you can access areas hard to reach areas.
You can hit small/decent sized bumps at speed without dying.
Replays (is this an option in bike or die??)
Oh and it's a motorbike..

Umm.. Well that will do for now I guess. They are some of the things that I think should be considered in the update. Sound good. I think most should be optional tho as it's a good game as is, plus the options are amazing in game so why ruin that?
12-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtleknife View Post
I agree, the bike is too bouncy. Also, it's way too easy for the rider to die. If his foot or hand touches a rock, he shouldn't keel over. That should be remedied in an update.

I understand that the game should be challenging, but this seems a little too extreme. Worse case, there should be a setting to adjust the difficulty or something so that the rider doesn't die so easily.
I love the game. The only thing I hate about it is that it isn't native to iPhone... which USUALLY means the dev really doesn't give a crap about updating it.

I think the bike needs to be customizable. It should have options for:
- Heavy/light bike
- Sturdy/bouncy
- Rider dies easily/on rare occasions (only when landing on head or something)

-