★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Cytus $1.99 -> $0.99

02-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Cytus $1.99 -> $0.99

IMO the best gameplay in a music game on iOS. It just updated last night with 10 more songs. If you like rhythm games, this is definitely is a must.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cytus/id485246824?mt=8

02-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Buy this game people! This game is like a chain letter...the more dl's it gets, the more songs everyone gets

This is my second favorite rythm game; Tonesphere is probably #1 for me...but it's a close call.

02-08-2013, 09:28 AM
My top two rhythm games are this (#1) and Fredric The Resurrection of Music. The gameplay and sheer amount of content in this one is what makes it my favorite but Fredric has oodles of charm in the story telling and the gameplay is solid though it takes longer to figure out where as Cytus is so natural. Rhythm Control 2 is also pretty solid for the gameplay side of things, I'd probably lock that in as my #3. I'll give Tonesphere a look.

It is true, the more people that get this game the more music the devs unlock. The goal is 1million customers. But as it is the game is packed to the rafters with content (62 songs). Even if they never update it again it's got more than enough to do.
02-08-2013, 09:55 AM
I didn't know this game, looks good!
Bought.

P!
02-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Totally forgot about Frederic...surprising, considering I was quite an evangelist for that game. I'm not a big fan of J and K pop, Frederic has the best original score for a rythm game, that's for sure...well, original as in remixes.

Tonesphere has as much if not more content than Cytus, and, IMO, seems to have the least input lag and the best beat detection. Beat detection is probably the wrong term to use; what I mean is that the tapping and sliding matches the actual rhythm of the music most accurately. You can ignore the timing cues and play to the music and score well.

Also, IMO, Cytus is best on an iPad (by far), Tonesphere is best on an iphone/ipod (the tap/slide elements are grouped closer together).
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Grabbed it. Convinced by the YouTube videos and no Iaps

Though it looks like the harder levels would be impossible on an iPhone 5 @_@
02-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Yeah... one of my favorite rhythm games on the iOS right beside Demons Score and Tone Sphere.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Played some more of this today to try out the update and just make sure the game is still my favorite rhythm game on iOS.

No doubt. I love this game. It's fantastic. It's challenging, yet completely intuitive in how you tap the circles as the scan line passes over them. The music... I love the music in this game. One song can be hard rocking and the next sounds like some Japanese anime intro or something... then something completely instrumental and haunting.

I'm going to have to consider Tone Sphere considering how much it's been mentioned. My only concern is that the music is downloaded separately from the app from some server right? Or is it just for score keeping or whatever that you need a persistent net connection? Bandwidth isn't an issue for me... but I do like to have games that have all the content built into the app so if I want to backup the game in iTunes on my PC then I can later restore it even if the app isn't being sold and the servers are long gone.
02-08-2013, 03:23 PM
This is a good game, highly recommended. But I kind of like music games when they have musical instruments like a guitar or drums, or you can dance like a freak like in Dance Dance Revolution.

My favorite beat game is Groove Zero by Taito, rocking Japanese techno music, a simple interface, and a lot of fun.

Last edited by Connector; 02-08-2013 at 09:47 PM.
02-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Played some more of this today to try out the update and just make sure the game is still my favorite rhythm game on iOS.

No doubt. I love this game. It's fantastic. It's challenging, yet completely intuitive in how you tap the circles as the scan line passes over them. The music... I love the music in this game. One song can be hard rocking and the next sounds like some Japanese anime intro or something... then something completely instrumental and haunting.

I'm going to have to consider Tone Sphere considering how much it's been mentioned. My only concern is that the music is downloaded separately from the app from some server right? Or is it just for score keeping or whatever that you need a persistent net connection? Bandwidth isn't an issue for me... but I do like to have games that have all the content built into the app so if I want to backup the game in iTunes on my PC then I can later restore it even if the app isn't being sold and the servers are long gone.
Tonesphere seems to connect to servers for persistant high scores (if you enter a user name). It also has GC. I don't think the music is tied to a server.

Last edited by Greyskull; 02-09-2013 at 12:00 AM.