Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
Final Fantasy I-IV (really unsuitable if you have limited time to play as they are not bite sized)
Um, how are they unsuitable? I have completed and absolutely loved Final Fantasy III and it has a suspend autosave anywhere. You can shut it down at a moment's notice and not lose anything when you start it up again. My first Final Fantasy and a great game, IMHO.
FF1, which I picked up after this, I didn't like, personally.

I second The Bard's Tale - it is a pretty streamlined action RPG, but if the humor works for you, it is very entertaining. Excellent voice-acting, too, and of course, being a port, it is fully-featured, with lots of content.

I'd also recommend The Shining Force by Sega, with a cave-out that it is a Genesis port and that I have no clue how it looks on an iPad. But the gameplay is great and made me a fan of SRPG genre.

With the same cave-out that I don't know how they look on an iPad, The Quest and it's myriad expansions and Undercroft are homages to old first-person WRPGs. The first has a Lite, IIRC and the second is free now, check them out.

Quote:
Adventures:
Broken Sword series
Monkey Island series
All the TellTale games series
The Last Express
Yea. Also "Ghost Trick". A very unique game, with great presentation and an interesting take on puzzle design. Excellent port. You can play the first 2 chapters (from 20, I think) for free, but keep in mind that the first chapter is pure tutorial.

There is also, arguably, "Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney", which is a bare-bones port of a great DS game, but Capcom has been promising a HD port of it for a long time, so I don't know if it is worth it picking it up.

There is also "Beneath a Steel Sky" from the same studio that made the Broken Sword games. A very good game that, IIRC, wasn't optimized for iPad, but may still look well enough. I think that there may be a Lite, so you can check.

Re: Telltale games, apart from the Monkey Island ports, personally, I really enjoyed the "Hector" trilogy, published, but not made by them. It has rather crude, but IMHO very funny humor and I like the puzzle design.

I also really liked the story and presentation of the 2 "Puzzle Agent" games. They are more Layton-likes than pure adventure games and the puzzles themselves are mediocre, IMHO, but for me they were still very worth it.

Further, I liked the first episode of "Back to the Future", though it did stutter a bit on iPad 2 and I have played and enjoyed a couple of episodes of "Sam and Max" on PC.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:54 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Lunar silver star saga ( old school RPG with amazing in game videos)
Knights of Pen and Paper ( pixel indie RPG )
Another world ( excellent old school adventure remake )
Metal slug 1,2,3 , Dragons Lair, Road blaster (if you are into arcades )
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Lunar Silver Star I've been thinking about
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
Lunar Silver Star I've been thinking about
Do yourself a favor and buy it if you are into SNES/ PSX rpgs.
Or read couple of last pages ( after updates ) from this thread : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...t=Lunar+silver
Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
So you recommend Arcane Legends over Order & Chaos?
What's the pros & cons of both?
They are very different, so there's deffinitely an apples/oranges thing when comparing them.

O&C is the closest thing there is to WoW for iOs, so if that's what you're looking for then definitely give it a look. Some of the things that really turned me away from the game are that all the different platforms (iOS, android, PC) are on their own servers, so you won't be able to play on an iPad while your friend plays on his android device or PC. There are chunks of each of the questing zones that are PvP areas, whether you want to PvP or not. It took a VERY long time for Gameloft to address the complaints of the forced PvP areas (like more than a year). When they finally did, thier answer was to put in IAP badges that prevented you from having to PvP, but the badges only last for something like an hour or a few hours (I can't remember exactly) so you have to keep spending real money just to opt out of PvP. The best gear in the game is bought with cash, so it's a pay-to-win kind of environment. Crafting was a huge letdown, due to key materials only being dropped from rare spawns or bought with real cash.

O&C is a heart-break to me, because it had so much potential, yet its flaws were simply too much.

Arcane Legends is a different kind of game. It's an isometric (top-down view) action rpg, so the overall gameplay is much different that O&C. It's more cartoony and sillly than O&C, but I think the theme works. It's cross platform, so iOS, android, and PC players can all play together. It's a world broken up into instances, rather than a huge persistent world. Their is so much IAP in the game that you could go mad just thinking about it, BUT you are not forced to spend a dime. The best gear in the game comes from drops, so it's not a pay-to-win system. PvE and PvP are properly separated. It has it's flaws, too, like taunt mechanics not balanced properly for warriors, which adversely affects PvE. PvP is still in its beta phase, so it's not balanced completly yet, either. The updates have been pretty frequent, though, with the level cap being increased by five levels, along with new areas and content, every three months. The devs plans are to hammer out the first 35 levels of the game like this (we are up to 20), before slowing down to spend time on fine tuning (ie: balance and polish). So essentially the game we have now is still "being made", so to speak.

Now obviously this isn't an even review of the two games, as my bias is clearly showing. But my intent was to show why I prefer one over the other. If the things I mentioned I didn't like about O&C don't sound like a problem to you, then I would say go for that one, because (ignoring its fatal flaws) it really is the best MMORPG on the market, from a technical standpoint. I just don't think it's any fun. AL is a much more simple game, yet I find it much more enjoyable. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Disappointed to see nobody championing Great Big War Game. It's scooped a couple of decent awards, got rave reviews and, for this week only, costs bupkis.

lol, I wonder what I have to do next to get people looking.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:34 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep View Post
Order & chaos - only Mmo worth playing on iOS
+1 ..... I played for 2 years nonstop. Now I dip in and out so my girlfriend doesn't dump me ! It's an awesome game. Totally great framerate and the game is far superior to GL's normal offerings.

Try and remember to keep a balance with RL though if you dip into that game. I'd hate to reccomend a game that has a detrimental affect on your relationship. ... No really it's that good. Also the npc chatter and quest text is worth the read. It's really well done and adds atmosphere to a great RPG.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Great Big War Game i have and love!
although im not the greatest at it, im stuck on mission 4 lol
i loved Advance Wars on ds so jumped at GBWG when i heard it was a similar type game

Wizard Mike, ive NEVER played an MMO, so really i dont know what to expect. Would you say Arcane Legends or O&C is better for a "noob"? I know games on ios that force you to buy in app purchases turn me off..something about it just rubs me the wrong way. Id rather pay more up front and not have it in the game. i dont mind if its offered but you dont need to spend $ in the game to get anywhere
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM
iPad (4th Gen)

Right-on, dude! I'm an old guy too, actually 52, though very immature if you ask me----ok my wife will be the first one to tell you THAT, LOL, with a lethal case of game addiction. Now, you can join the rest of us, some of us who are just as addicted to looking for and downloading the games as actually playing them! Enjoy!! Then you'll be coming here talking about it all the time! You get addicted to that, too! It's all good, bud!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

It's a catch 22

I love the fact games are so cheap or even free for ios
However that means more crap too
Also the more I download the less I play each game itself
Bigrand, I think I do have as much fun researching, reading reviews, getting people's opinions on here & downloading the apps as much as playing them lol