★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Jet Set Radio ($0.99)

02-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Jet Set Radio ($0.99)

My question: do the controls make it essentially impossible to play on ios? I never got too far In the game on my Dreamcast because it was hard enough as is.

02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Yeah i would like to know too. 99c seem like a no brainer but if the game is frustrating because of its controls then i may not get it

02-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
My question: do the controls make it essentially impossible to play on ios? I never got too far In the game on my Dreamcast because it was hard enough as is.
onsale in NZ now... https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/id554531935?mt=8 USA etc later

same here played for only a little bit on the dreamcast and never came back. thought it seemed fun / interesting but i was never into any of the skate games; tony hawk etc...

prob would get for $1 just to have and mess around with, but never pay any higher.
02-10-2013, 11:04 AM
I read on my Store page some comments and quite everyone said controls are so hard that ruin the experience of the game even if the votes are high due to the technical effort of this port.
What could you tell me about this "issue"?
By the way at .99$ is absolutely a no-brainer in my opinion.
02-10-2013, 11:05 AM
It would be a no-brainee to me, but everything I purchase auto-downloads to my PC and I'm back to having less than 2gb free on my hard drive. I installed a 1 terrabyte second hard drive and attempted to move my itunes library over, but there isn't enough space on my primary hard drive to copy the files over (you need enough free space to store files in the hard drive's cache while the files are being copied.

With Steam, I set all NEW downloads to go to my new, big hard drive. It was a simple task. Steam can use multiple library folders without any problem.

This doesn't seem to be the case for iTunes. From all that I've read, you have to stick to the same directory for all itunes app dowloads. If anyone knows a way for me to redirect new dl's to a new folder, while having ALL my apps show up in iTunes, please enlighten me. ITunes feels like a media management app that hasn't been updated since the late 90's.
02-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
It would be a no-brainee to me, but everything I purchase auto-downloads to my PC and I'm back to having less than 2gb free on my hard drive. I installed a 1 terrabyte second hard drive and attempted to move my itunes library over, but there isn't enough space on my primary hard drive to copy the files over (you need enough free space to store files in the hard drive's cache while the files are being copied.

With Steam, I set all NEW downloads to go to my new, big hard drive. It was a simple task. Steam can use multiple library folders without any problem.

This doesn't seem to be the case for iTunes. From all that I've read, you have to stick to the same directory for all itunes app dowloads. If anyone knows a way for me to redirect new dl's to a new folder, while having ALL my apps show up in iTunes, please enlighten me. ITunes feels like a media management app that hasn't been updated since the late 90's.
same here with Steam i also dump itunes to pc + external 1tb hdd, then it got full and had to backup all older itunes to Blu-Ray...because dvd-r would take too long then if i need anything older I direct my itunes to that dir/backup location.

yeah itunes software/there media setup still sucks.... also when an app gets deleted off itunes etc, and redeeming codes you can no longer check if there valid without using it.
02-10-2013, 11:23 AM
I'll probably check this out. The controls are fairly awkward by design to simulate the movement of skating, but it was always a little tricky even on Dreamcast. I've played the game a ton on various platforms so I should be able to tell if any issues are specific to the touchscreen.
02-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote:

I'm assuming you are using windows? If you are using the "my documents", "my music", "my videos", ...etc folders, I've always been able to right click those folder, click properties. There's a tab for folder location. You can move the location of folders. You can research on google a bit to double check. On any new windows install and for any new users that I setup for home use, the first thing I do is relocate all the "my *" folder to another partition/hard drive.. Especially if you decide to reformat the windows partition, you don't have to worry about the users data, and after the reinstall, you can just point the new "my *" folders to where you had it and all the data will show up.

Anyways...I believe iTunes will use the "my music folder" by default (it'll say in the iTunes settings). So after you move your "my music" folder using the move option in windows explorer...then in the iTunes setting, point the library to the new location and all your data should be there. To be safe if you have enough space on your 1TB drive...manually back up/copy each important "my documents", "my music"...etc folder as you move them one at a time.

Sorry for the wall o text..not sure if this is the method you used to move your itunes folder, but hope it helps others as well. Or maybe move folders such as "my documents" first got free up space, the. Try to move the "my music"/iTunes library again.

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?

Last edited by tops2; 02-10-2013 at 11:43 AM.
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsofdestiny89 View Post
Yeah i would like to know too. 99c seem like a no brainer but if the game is frustrating because of its controls then i may not get it
I really loved this game on my old xbox. Was one of my favorite games.

That said, yes, the controls are difficult on a touchscreen. Some moves are very hard to do.

But the biggest disappointment is the cuts scenes don't have full voice acting. That was one of the coolest parts of the xbox version. Reading the story text based loses a lot of flair.

The game is not nearly the game I remember from the xbox with the above mentioned flaws and the graphics I kind of find worse, which makes it worse. The graphics style is a little different, better in some ways, but the great cartoonish feel is somehow not as good.

But, with some of these disappointments, heck yeah, it is worth a buck. Is a totally unique game, has nice cell graphics, and is well made overall. A slightly flawed game perhaps, but I would highly recommend it for a buck!
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
It's a good game. The controls are pretty much the same as Dreamcast. So it's not easy until you get used to how things are done. For a buck its a no brainer. I bought it at launch for $5 and have no complaints. Still, I was a huge fan of the Dreamcast and at one point owned nearly the entire US library and many of the best imports. So nostalgia might blind me a little.