★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Trainz Driver $2.99 > 99c (and now ranked #3 Overall Paid)

02-11-2013, 02:59 AM
Trainz Driver $2.99 > 99c (and now ranked #3 Overall Paid)

Price will be going up again in the next few days...

Description
★ ★ ★ 0.99c SALE ★ ★ ★
Trainz Driver - on sale for a limited time only -
#1 train game on the App Store!
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Feb 8, 2013: Ranked #3 iPhone App in Germany and racing into the Top 10 Game Apps charts around the world.

Drive your favorite trains today!

*** GET MORE POWER IN YOUR POCKET ***

Drive a huge selection of trains on routes from around the world. Consistently one of the top ranked Simulation Apps on iTunes.

Don't take our word for it, just ask our many fans what they think ...

***** 4 out of every 5 customers rate us with 5 stars *****
02-11-2013, 03:03 PM
I saw this on sale and I love quirky games, but...i still don't know what an engineer actually DOES nowadays. Break? Does he control the throttle?

02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I wonder where this ranked #3 overall? I looked in all apps, then all games, ... drilled down to Simulation specific games and it was 9th. Game looks interesting but some of the content is locked behind IAP and only 3 tracks and a few trains in the game so I think I can pass on it.
02-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Yea we're not as high in the USA.
#3 throughout Europe - UK, Germany etc.
It's certainly not a game for everyone - in fact we are surprised at the current position given we were only ranked 200-500-ish for 6 months
02-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Had my eye on this one when it came out. Really, really tempted.
02-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionwebs View Post
The room is number 3 actually
I live in uk and never seen it at number 3?
Well #3 Overall from 9pm Saturday Feb 9 until 2pm Tues Feb 2, so unless you would like me to update the heading every few days, I guess we can safely say it was accurate at the time of writing? (And according to AppAnnie it hasn't dropped below #4 since, so perhaps the stats aren't as accurate as I thought?)

Quote:
Personally though, It looks good but it would have been much better to make the other full trainz simulator game finally not play like a desktop game, fix the missions and add steam trains to that. Now THAT would be an update which could actually push the charts in the top 3 for real.
Perhaps you haven't played Trainz Simulator for iPad since V1.3 released in Sept 2012? That included the steam train add-on, and introduced a number of the mobile improvements from Trainz Driver such as 3D nav points etc.

On a side note, Trainz Sim on iPad spent almost a week at #1 Overall App even in the USA back in June 2011 (well prior to the latest improvements).

I know this app isn't a mainstream product, but if people don't like a pony game for girls, they don't seem to worry as they recognize the audience for what it is - a niche. When it comes to trains, it seems that people ar a little harsher in their criticism
02-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Quote:
The room is number 3 actually
I live in uk and never seen it at number 3?
There are loads of devs on the app store that say their games sell better than they actually do so be careful making claims like this is like trading on thin ice, it's easy to slip.
It was #3 for almost 3 days Saturday to Tuesday and currently shows as #4 so I'm not sure whether you are looking iPhone or iPad? Unless you'd like me to change the heading every few days to make it accurate I think we're ok (I will update the app description however - thanks for that.

Quote:
Personally though, It looks good but it would have been much better to make the other full trainz simulator game finally not play like a desktop game, fix the missions and add steam trains to that. Now THAT would be an update which could actually push the charts in the top 3 for real.
Perhaps you haven't played Trainz Sim for iPad since the Sept 2012 update (V1.3) which introduced steam trains and more of the mobile elements from Trainz Driver such as 3D nav points etc? It also managed to do quite well on the iPad charts reaching #1 even in the USA for a week or so in June 2011. Not bad for a port of a PC game, and getting better all the time as we continue to work on this aspect of our franchise.

Lastly, I'd love to know why a pony game for girls is understood as a niche product that won't please everyone, whereas a train game seems to cop criticism for being boring or whatever. If you check out the 1,000 5 star reviews, that's a lot of people who have taken the time to tell us how much they love the product. This isn't very big in app terms, but we're pretty happy with our current market penetration and overall market acceptance.
02-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Ninjackid likes ponies, I think he wouldn't like this anti pony talk...
02-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Will the sale last for some days? Because I want to recommend it but when the sale ends today the efforts would be pointless.

It gives a good and realistic feeling how to drive a train and how "bad" the brakes are. And who of the guys didn't want to be locomotive engineer as an early profession wish?

Love the rattling sound when you pass switches. Good tutorial.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
02-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Does this have any kind of missions or any goals? Or do you just drive around at top speed without a care in the world?