Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Default Solar 2

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 02-10-2013, 04:51 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

**deleted**

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 02-10-2013 at 04:57 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 AM

Oo, any thoughts on the iPad port?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:06 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I did have a few crashing issues at first, but then realized that I only had 39 MB of free space.

Deleted some stuff, now have 9 GB free, and the game runs great.

Now... I am a HUGE score-chasing fanatic. But the lack of GameCenter or any kind of scoring system at all here does not bother me one little bit. It's a BEAUTIFUL game. Controls work well, though its tap and hold to move, tap your planet to absorb asteroids and then tap, hold and drag planets to absorb them when you're a star, so your hand will get in the way.

But that's my ONLY complaint with this. There are missions, but you don't have to go after them, and you can cancel them whenever/if you want so you can just mess around/find another mission.

I've only played for about 30 minutes so far, but this is up there for me. I'm definitely enjoying it. A lot.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Interesting. Have you played it, SV?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Yupperz... and it really is just... a blast.

It's very well made - the music isn't really my taste, but you can change the music and effects volumes separately. You start off as an asteroid - bump into other asteroids to grow into a planet - get close to asteroids and pull them into your orbit and then absorb them to grow into a life bearing planet that can produce ships and offensive capabilities as well as a shield - keep absorbing asteroids to grow into a star and then you grab planets and can either absorb them to grow into a bigger star and then eventually a black hole or grow them by having them catch and absorb asteroids so that they become life bearing planets that can attack other planets with the ships and weapon systems (it's really not that focused on action unless you want it to be - you can go slow, or just try and plow through the universe).

As far as I can tell, there's 4 different missions for each 'life cycle' that you can activate by following markers and passing through a circled area. Then if you don't like it, or don't think you can do it, or want to try another one or just give up on the mission, you can hit 'abort' at the top of the screen at any time.

There's also in-game achievements. 24 of them. No GameCenter, but really, when a game isn't focused on scores (unless you wanna count your Mass as a score) I'm not one who really minds the lack of GC, even if there are achievements. Really makes no difference to me if I have achievements in-game or get useless points for them... so... =oP

Anywho...

Again, your hand does get in the way because of the control scheme, and there's no options for virtual buttons, though I do think that having the screen clear is much, much better for a game like this.

I'm not sure about the FPS. It does run smooth, but I really doubt it's 60 frames per second. I haven't encountered any lag or frameskips on my iPad 2, and it does run smooth, I'm guessing at a solid 30 FPS. But I've never really been good at nailing FPS down. Sorry bout that.

***edit***

Sorry... just found out that in the menu you can switch to 'Challenge Mode' - You pick a challenge and earn points. So there is score based gameplay for those of you who want it - but again, there is no GameCenter so no leaderboards.

Also, once you reach 20% story mission completion you can adjust some Physics options;

Gravity, Life Build Time, Ships Speed, Collision Damage, Player Speed, Life Extra Turrets and Life Extra Ships

Not too sure how much of an effect it has on the gameplay because I'm only at 3% completion. =oP

Oh yeah, and there are stats in the pause menu. There's stats for...';

Play Time
Distance Traveled
Asteroids Destroyed
Planets Destroyed
Stars Destroyed
Ships Destroyed by Your Life
Most Asteroids Around Your Planet
Largest Multi-Star system
Fastest Speed Cycle Time

I'm definitely glad I dropped the $4 on it. Even if it drops down to $0.99 or FREE tomorrow, I'd be glad that I supported the dev. This game is great. =oD
I'm thinking about dropping the $10 on the Steam version too.

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 02-10-2013 at 06:39 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

How does it compare to Tiny Solar? Looks like the same game.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

**edit**

Holy crap.

Yes, it's EXACTLY Tiny Solar... With a graphics + UI upgrade. Right when the intro explosion went off, I couldn't believe it.

Strange...

I wonder if Tiny Solar is a clone or if its done by the same DEV... Gonna have to look into it later on...

Just looking at when Tiny Solar was released (Jan 7, 2013?) and the DEV name, I'm guessing its a total rip off of Solar, which hit Steam + XBLA back in 2011.

This is the official port of the Steam/XBLA title...

I'm gonna go ahead and write the DEV later on and see if he can shed some light on it... I'll post anything whenever I know.

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 02-10-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to Jordanrracer

I really hope this is released for iPhone.. It's such a great game.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I really enjoyed this game on the 360, the only thing I didn't like was with all indie games on XBLA, you have to be connected to the internet to play indie games and that leaves me feeling like I don't really own the game.

So I was very happy to see the full version you don't have to be online to enjoy and for even cheaper than I paid on XBLA. Great find SV, I'll be playing this game all day while I'm at work.

Edit: Using a stylus helps a little bit with keeping your hand out of your view.

Last edited by ojtitus; 02-10-2013 at 10:37 AM..