Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Jool - (by RostLaub)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

This is some kind of arcade endless runner with easy one touch controls, although occasionally you need to flip your device which is awkward on an iPad. I have no idea what I am doing in the game, but it is quite weird and wonderful! Also, the artwork is really great and strange.

Last edited by CygnetSeven; 02-12-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Oh wow...I'm so on this as soon as I get on my iPad.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Here is a video review, by TangentsLP, which turned me on to Jool.

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Downloading Now...
Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM

I gave this title a shot a couple of days ago. Most of the time I only really chime in on something when I have nothing but good things to say, I'd rather not spoil someone else's (potential) fun by me being a harsh critic, which I tend to be. But this one leaves me with some mixed feelings.

Having said that, the art alone made this an insta-buy, despite me not being all that fond of endless runners. The 'switching' mechanic also piqued my interest.

Now, it really is a lovely game. No disputing that. Also, there's a lot of personality here. What, with the switching gimmick being used to essentially sprout your 'other half' from out of your, ahem, behind. Let's also not forget the mescaline mode, which is very well done. Zoiks, trip-aaaayyy!!! Oh, and the death cut-scenes, those were neat, and also very well done. Yet after all that, I just felt ho-hum about the whole of the experience.

As I said, I'm no endless runner expert, but the 'challenge' here, well, simply wasn't challenging. I felt as if I could just keep going and going... I enjoyed interacting within the world itself, I just never seemed to be in danger of losing. In fact, most runs had me ending it early solely to see more of the death cut-scenes, which are cool, very well done, and to some degree the only reason to keep playing, so as to see more of them.

There is much to like here, really, there is. But I can't ignore the feeling of something being amiss, an element that would solidify the strengths of the artwork and compel me to want to stay in this fantastical world. Not simply run through it, as the over used phrase goes, like a walk in the park.

Last edited by aeranth; 02-12-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 04:38 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Proper trippy. Mescaline in a game. Hats off, chaps. Your man above I probably agree with, but I can see me going back to it for the timebeing as I really liked the visuals just didn't see the point - but maybe that is th point. Very nice find.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM
iPhone 5

I love it and i'm sure there is coming more. I think of achievements in one of the next versions...until then it's a really lovely and unusual platformer, which keeps me smiling whenever i play it.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 PM

I only see 1 death. When I fall and the blue bird pulls me out of the ground. Lol
Old 02-12-2013, 05:59 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeranth View Post
I gave this title a shot a couple of days ago. Most of the time I only really chime in on something when I have nothing but good things to say, I'd rather not spoil someone else's (potential) fun by me being a harsh critic, which I tend to be. But this one leaves me with some mixed feelings.

Having said that, the art alone made this an insta-buy, despite me not being all that fond of endless runners. The 'switching' mechanic also piqued my interest.

Now, it really is a lovely game. No disputing that. Also, there's a lot of personality here. What, with the switching gimmick being used to essentially sprout your 'other half' from out of your, ahem, behind. Let's also not forget the mescaline mode, which is very well done. Zoiks, trip-aaaayyy!!! Oh, and the death cut-scenes, those were neat, and also very well done. Yet after all that, I just felt ho-hum about the whole of the experience.

As I said, I'm no endless runner expert, but the 'challenge' here, well, simply wasn't challenging. I felt as if I could just keep going and going... I enjoyed interacting within the world itself, I just never seemed to be in danger of losing. In fact, most runs had me ending it early solely to see more of the death cut-scenes, which are cool, very well done, and to some degree the only reason to keep playing, so as to see more of them.

There is much to like here, really, there is. But I can't ignore the feeling of something being amiss, an element that would solidify the strengths of the artwork and compel me to want to stay in this fantastical world. Not simply run through it, as the over used phrase goes, like a walk in the park.
Can anyone else confirm there isn't much of a difficulty ramp?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Looks interesting but I will wait and see what comes out tomorrow night. For now added to my watch list