Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Should I get it?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketnova View Post
Should I get it?
Games production values are top notch, art and styling is great, animations can be a bit janky but are decent overall. I haven't found it too difficult but earnings are pretty tight and pay model is a bit confused, it's premium with heavy orientation towards consumable purchases. You aren't forced to buy additional IAP but it would be realistic to say you would have to, to get everything in the game unless you were prepared to grind seriously. Tapjoy is included for free coins but unlike its implementation in Dead Trigger there are no free offers as they're all paid options.

Combat isn't quite as deep as Bladeslinger but they have a similar feel and it is still satisfying. The story is interesting so far and the game is well crafted. It's really going to boil down to whether or not you had issues with Dead Trigger or Bladeslinger, if you didn't like their accompanying post purchase models then you're probably best to steer clear, if they didn't bother you or you don't mind trading time to circumvent them then you'll have no problems with this.

IMO it's a good arena fighter marred a bit by the freemium structure in waiting, I don't fully regret my purchase and I'm enjoying it, but it does tarnish my feelings for the title a bit. Forgetting IAP, it would be up there with the best of this genre.

If you want a taste of artwork and the type of thing you can expect from the developer, download the free scratch and win app. It really says it all to be honest.

Last edited by september; 02-16-2013 at 04:46 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by september View Post
Games production values are top notch, art and styling is great, animations can be a bit janky but are decent overall. I haven't found it too difficult but earnings are pretty tight and pay model is a bit confused, it's premium with heavy orientation towards consumable purchases. You aren't forced to buy additional IAP but it would be realistic to say you would have to, to get everything in the game unless you were prepared to grind seriously. Tapjoy is included for free coins but unlike its implementation in Dead Trigger there are no free offers as they're all paid options.

Combat isn't quite as deep as Bladeslinger but they have a similar feel and it is still satisfying. The story is interesting so far and the game is well crafted. It's really going to boil down to whether or not you had issues with Dead Trigger or Bladeslinger, if you didn't like their accompanying post purchase models then you're probably best to steer clear, if they didn't bother you or you don't mind trading time to circumvent them then you'll have no problems with this.

IMO it's a good arena fighter marred a bit by the freemium structure in waiting, I don't fully regret my purchase and I'm enjoying it, but it does tarnish my feelings for the title a bit. Forgetting IAP, it would be up there with the best of this genre.

If you want a taste of artwork and the type of thing you can expect from the developer, download the free scratch and win app. It really says it all to be honest.
Thank you for letting me know. Dead trigger I got when it was 99c, so I got more free stuff then those who got it for free. Bladeslinger was more the controls then the iAPs (are the controls the same style here?). Also, the scratcher app has nice art, and now it seems you can transfer your winnings via the latest update. Would that help money wise?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketnova View Post
Thank you for letting me know. Dead trigger I got when it was 99c, so I got more free stuff then those who got it for free. Bladeslinger was more the controls then the iAPs (are the controls the same style here?). Also, the scratcher app has nice art, and now it seems you can transfer your winnings via the latest update. Would that help money wise?
The swipe controls for combat are similar, I find changing focus on an enemy a little less refined, movement is just press a button and swipe with the other hand to change direction (but you don't really have the free roam of Bladeslinger, it's all arena based so there's not a lot of it). Dodging is done by pressing a button and then swiping the direction you want to go, rather than the double tap from Bladeslinger. You have a stamina meter too, but that recharges quickly.

Yeah it helps, I got 300 silver plus the sword which everyone gets with the app, puts you in game with dual wielding swords from the get go. But with the way luck decreases and because you can loose money too, I can't see it helping a lot. They have a 'thoughtful' improved luck in app purchase though so who knows, not something I would buy.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:

Thanks for posting an honest assessment.

The game looks awesome and I was tempted, but I'm really not in the mood to struggle through another paymium-modeled game while trying to enjoy it atm...

DBC
Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
The swipe controls for combat are similar, I find changing focus on an enemy a little less refined, movement is just press a button and swipe with the other hand to change direction (but you don't really have the free roam of Bladeslinger, it's all arena based so there's not a lot of it). Dodging is done by pressing a button and then swiping the direction you want to go, rather than the double tap from Bladeslinger. You have a stamina meter too, but that recharges quickly.

Yeah it helps, I got 300 silver plus the sword which everyone gets with the app, puts you in game with dual wielding swords from the get go. But with the way luck decreases and because you can loose money too, I can't see it helping a lot. They have a 'thoughtful' improved luck in app purchase though so who knows, not something I would buy.
Not to be polemical here, but the combat in I Gladiator is a big step up from Bladeslinger. First, Bladeslinger is free-roam only in the most narrow sense of the word. The game basically takes you from one arena to the next, often in cramped environments that make movement and dodging awkward. The controls are a confusing mess of swipes, taps, double taps, etc, combined with nonsensical finishing moves that involve tracing patters that bear no relationship with the action on the screen -- you essentially do a puzzle while all other enemies freeze. The enemy switching mechanic is another awkward compromise that could have been easily avoided by good design (your character simply takes up too much space on the screen). Many of these issues came up during the beta test and could have been avoided by adding a single button to the controls, but the developer wanted to keep the system "pure." Which is, of course, their prerogative.

By contrast, I Gladiator, makes use of a button and a clear engagement mechanic to make combat a lot more defined and manageable. Dodging is realistic and specific (instead of a disorienting roll), and attacks have an internal logic, with particular swipes having particular effects. Engaging multiple enemies feels natural and intuitive without requiring alert icons that continually take you out of the action. Add to that enemies with unique abilities and behaviors, environmental hazards/weapons, and the ability to pick up enemy equipment, and you have a combat system that's way more sophisticated than that of other "swipe fighters."

The only reason not to pick up this game is if you are not willing to put in the effort to learn the nuances of the combat system. Which is fine: personally I prefer the simplicity of Arkham Asylum to the mess of combos in Devil May Cry.

As to the IAP system, it's tough to evaluate at this point since I have yet to spend any in-game cash. In my last fight I defeated a mini-boss that was four levels above my character, with only a wisp of health left. The mini-boss switched weapons mid fight, dropping a shield that I picked up and may very well have kept me alive. It was one of the more exhilarating moments I've had in an iOS action game, and it did not require a single purchase.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Not to be polemical here, but the combat in I Gladiator is a big step up from Bladeslinger. First, Bladeslinger is free-roam only in the most narrow sense of the word. The game basically takes you from one arena to the next, often in cramped environments that make movement and dodging awkward. The controls are a confusing mess of swipes, taps, double taps, etc, combined with nonsensical finishing moves that involve tracing patters that bear no relationship with the action on the screen -- you essentially do a puzzle while all other enemies freeze. The enemy switching mechanic is another awkward compromise that could have been easily avoided by good design (your character simply takes up too much space on the screen). Many of these issues came up during the beta test and could have been avoided by adding a single button to the controls, but the developer wanted to keep the system "pure." Which is, of course, their prerogative.

By contrast, I Gladiator, makes use of a button and a clear engagement mechanic to make combat a lot more defined and manageable. Dodging is realistic and specific (instead of a disorienting roll), and attacks have an internal logic, with particular swipes having particular effects. Engaging multiple enemies feels natural and intuitive without requiring alert icons that continually take you out of the action. Add to that enemies with unique abilities and behaviors, environmental hazards/weapons, and the ability to pick up enemy equipment, and you have a combat system that's way more sophisticated than that of other "swipe fighters."

The only reason not to pick up this game is if you are not willing to put in the effort to learn the nuances of the combat system. Which is fine: personally I prefer the simplicity of Arkham Asylum to the mess of combos in Devil May Cry.

As to the IAP system, it's tough to evaluate at this point since I have yet to spend any in-game cash. In my last fight I defeated a mini-boss that was four levels above my character, with only a wisp of health left. The mini-boss switched weapons mid fight, dropping a shield that I picked up and may very well have kept me alive. It was one of the more exhilarating moments I've had in an iOS action game, and it did not require a single purchase.
Yep, 'free roam' was to distinguish between the amount of movement required with the run/look system but probably not the best choice of words, seeing as Bladeslinger had been played I felt the op would know the difference so didn't think it was problematic terminology as a descriptor. As for which system I felt was better (apart from the enemy switching), I purposely only described the differences and didn't get into what I felt was best implemented as that's only opinion. Some people enjoy complexity, some don't, some prefer on screen buttons, some don't - that wasn't really what I was asked, so I only described the differences.

Last edited by september; 02-16-2013 at 08:20 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Does anyone have any idea if the defense skill is useless using dual weilding or does reduce the damage you take?

btw I, Gladiator scratch'em how does it work? i get some silver the first time but after not anymore is a daily reward? or for example is i have 100 silver in I, Gladiator scratch the game transfer that and the only way to transfer more is gain more money?

PD: i haven't try the update for I, Gladiator scratch that just came out
Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausar View Post
Does anyone have any idea if the defense skill is useless using dual weilding or does reduce the damage you take?

btw I, Gladiator scratch'em how does it work? i get some silver the first time but after not anymore is a daily reward? or for example is i have 100 silver in I, Gladiator scratch the game transfer that and the only way to transfer more is gain more money?

PD: i haven't try the update for I, Gladiator scratch that just came out
Mine transferred over automatically when I started the full game (pre scratch update), I'm not sure about daily rewards but your chances of winning seem to decrease the more you play.

Edit: It looks like you have to login with Facebook to transfer further winnings... but not confirmed as I won't bother.

Last edited by september; 02-16-2013 at 08:59 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Pretty fun and not as iap abusive as someone as been saying. I don't know why I had to waste 3 gold for a potion (I have yet to know how to use) but the battles are really fun and plays better on touch 4 then brandnewboy but I guess its because it uses unreal. The AI is pretty smart actually even in the beginning and though there is iap for weapons you actually get what is on the battlefeild from the dead enemies.

Plus the scratch off game helps a bit as well since transferring is done via scratch off.

There is slowdown in the videos but smooth in gameplay on touch 4
Potion is used automatically, the 3 gold is given to you only for that purpose so you dont really loose anything, but its easy to miss that. The weapons you get in battle aren't retained after it but you do get dual wielding swords with the free one being a lot better than default via the scratch app. Scratch app only remains useful if you're happy connecting via Facebook after the initial payout afaik, but it's worth installing for the second sword alone.