App description: NOTE: I've had some people ask about the location services prompt that pops up after the first launch of the game. I used a number of canned tools/plugins to get this ported to iOS (the source was an HTML5 game) and somewhere along the way, one of those added that location services prompt. You can decline that prompt and it doesn't break any aspect of the gameplay.

While I can't speak for the third-party tools I used, there's no reason for the game itself to require your location. I don't receive any sort of data back from the game.

I've been trying to remove this permission, but I'm not sure how to do so. As soon as I find out, I will push an update. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

---

Prince Zeldo's been kidnapped...again. Looks like a job for Lonk, the legendary Heroine of Thyme! Grab your sword and...oh, you forgot it at home? Uh, that's fine. Probably.

-Flap your way through the evil Lord Ganondoof's castle! Save the prince!
-Collect ruples because why not? Feed your greed!
-Steal items from an old man! Wait, how do these things even work?
-Does this castle have no end? (Spoilers: it does)

Lonk's Awakening is a Legend of Zelda themed take on Flappy Bird, originally created during "Flappy Jam", which was hosted on itch.io in early 2014.

If you enjoy this game, please consider checking out some of our less flappy titles on our itch.io page (http://virtually-competent.itch.io/).

DISCLAIMER: While Lonk's Awakening is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda series, no assets in the game were directly ripped from any official title produced by Nintendo. This game was built from scratch with entirely original art and audio. Neither Virtually Competent nor Lonk's Awakening are affiliated with Nintendo.

PeteOzzy's comments:

04-28-2015, 07:21 AM
Interesting spoofy game. Based on the screenshots, looks like a flappy link?

04-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Interesting spoofy game. Based on the screenshots, looks like a flappy link?
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to post it. I'm a bit exhausted from Flappy-likes but I laughed a couple of times while playing so I can't fault that. The humour's worth a download at least.

https://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/ - Daily iOS Roundups and Multi-Platform Reviews.
Xbox: PeteOzzy Steam: PeteOzzy GC: PeteOzzy107 PSN: PeteOzzy107 Friend Invites always welcome.
04-28-2015, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to post it. I'm a bit exhausted from Flappy-likes but I laughed a couple of times while playing so I can't fault that. The humour's worth a download at least.

So.... It it because of you; that I will be installing this one; another flappy....
04-28-2015, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
True man. It may not be something we'd easily want, but it seems this may just be a spoof we currently need. Even the app description looks to have some love and care put into it.
04-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Funny, I was just listening to Link's Awakening via Modizer on my way to work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
04-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Not bad actually. Everytime you pass through a "pipe" you get to pick up a gem, and then you get to choose cleverly name-spoofed artifacts that could change the gameplay. There are artifacts that increase forward speed, turns you and the controls upside down, allows you to destroy "pipes" but doesnt add to score, a fairy that revives you once when you fail (until you get another one), etc.

Very interesting take on the genre in which the normal rules become skewed as you go farther.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
05-01-2015, 02:18 AM
Has anyone been able to finish the game? Checking through the GC achievements, this definitely looks like a keeper. There's an ending, a boss, achievements for finishing the game a couple of ways and according to a front-page comment from the developer himself, he's not making any profit off the game, so there are definitely no ads.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"