Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Interesting. A Die Hard runner. Looks graphically more similar to TheEndApp, but with guns. I'm sure our resident runner expert E-P will let us know how this compares to others in the genre.
Downloading...

EDIT: When i puchased it i got the 17+ warning... So this might be good.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
You play jack not John? WTH
Yeah... the whole plot of the new movie (and this game) seems like a lame diversion from what made Die Hard great... but I am curious about gameplay impressions.

Last edited by undeadcow; 02-13-2013 at 04:11 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

What I like about Goroid's TheEnd that i want to see in Die Hard is the VERY VARIED backgrounds. Sure they loop, but there's literally tons of 'segments' more than any other behind the back endless runner. I dont think anything comes close.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
What I like about Goroid's TheEnd that i want to see in Die Hard is the VERY VARIED backgrounds. Sure they loop, but there's literally tons of 'segments' more than any other behind the back endless runner. I dont think anything comes close.
Does this earn Psience's seal of approval?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Insta-delete!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to your personal robot

From TheEndApp guys? That's my favorite endless runner. So, this won't disappoint, for sure.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Oh no tell us the news
I was hoping no one would ask.

Slow, awkward running. Weird floaty transitions between the 3 lanes. The 'Tap to Shoot' mechanic is nice, but it has neither the impact nor satisfaction of the bow mini game in Temple Run: Brave. Overall, just very...basic and clunky, which is strange because TheEndApp, awkward running animation aside, was very fast and fluid. I get that this isn't a Temple Run-like per se, but it's just...gah, I dunno. EP's our resident runner dude...hopefully his opinion will be different from mine.

Last edited by metalcasket; 02-13-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Uh... just played 3 runs and um.

The graphics are ok (better than TheEndApp the way i see it), the sound effects are kinda bad as the gun sounds are drowned out by the background music.

As for gameplay, totally different from TheEndApp. Die Hard feels more like an on-rails shooter than a runner. Just that the rails are too slippery that you dont stop for anything. The forward movement is also significantly slower than TheEnd, hence giving it more of the on-rails shooter feel.

There are 4 lanes... Yes, FOUR. Swipe left and right to switch lanes similar to Agent Dash, Subway Surfers and One Epic Knight. As for paths that turn, you turn automatically... I guess more of the Subway Surfers kind, but the turns are sharper.

Swipe up to jump. The jumps are sweet because it isnt just a jump, it depends on the obstacle you are hurdling. Sometimes you just jump over obstacles, sometimes you roll over tables and other stuff.

Swipe down to reload. This one's pretty weird in a runner-type game. You run out of bullets, and that's when i usually get hit. I'll get used to it though. Im sure that's just me.

Tap enemies to shoot them. Enemies popout of cover usually, similar to how enemies show up in on-rails shooters.

The coin (currency is called rubles... wtf is a ruble?) gain is, so far, a little slow. May be better later if i find myself improving, but right now, im horribad at it... Not by much, but the backgrounds are nice to look at as expected, since they made a fantastic job of that in TheEnd.

Controls are very responsive. Swiping, even flicking works well, and there's no tilt. Tapping on enemies are easy too, but this means i have to put the ipad mini on a table to play well. It is playable with one finger, so i might have to practice doing that for this game, while the other hand hold the ipad.

Other stuff look pretty standard, but havent explored yet. Especially the upgrades part. There are different guns but i havent acquired anything yet. Maybe they are pickups. The guns can be upgraded through ammo increase and critical chance. The equips suggest you can change outfit, but i havent unlocked anything yet.

There's tons of missions (daily missions and side missions) and badges (achievements) to collect. There is no GC integration which is kinda bad. There's only FB highscores and twitter sharing.

As for overall initial impressions... It's kinda difficult to recommend. I was expecting a runner, and got more of an on-rails shooter. That's not a bad thing, but it isnt that good either. As for me, im sure i'll be putting time into this one as i kinda like the twists and mechanics they put here on top of the runner genre.

EDIT: Additional thoughts... this may actually be a lot better if they made an on-rails shooter instead. :P

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 02-13-2013 at 04:36 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
I was hoping no one would ask.

Slow, awkward running. Weird floaty transitions between the 3 lanes. The 'Tap to Shoot' mechanic is nice, but it has neither the impact nor satisfaction of the bow mini game in Temple Run: Brave. Overall, just very...basic and clunky, which is strange because TheEndApp, awkward running animation aside, was very fast and fluid. I get that this isn't a Temple Run-like per se, but it's just...gah, I dunno. EP's our resident runner dude...hopefully his opinion will be different from mine.
I guess you were trying to say that this doesnt feel like a runner too.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I guess you were trying to say that this doesnt feel like a runner too.
Exactly. I can't even describe it. Virtua Cop meets Temple Run? i dunno lol