★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

IPod/IPhone Game Development Is My Dream And i Need Some Info

07-05-2009, 05:33 AM
IPod/IPhone Game Development Is My Dream And i Need Some Info

I wanted to get some info of what do i need to do to get started into making an ipod game and becoming an ipod game developer. I got some pretty good ideas and willing to do my best, to fulfill my dream. Im looking to do it from any category from 3D to 2D and need some info and help of how to get started.
07-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovy23 View Post
I wanted to get some info of what do i need to do to get started into making an ipod game and becoming an ipod game developer. I got some pretty good ideas and willing to do my best, to fulfill my dream. Im looking to do it from any category from 3D to 2D and need some info and help of how to get started.
thats your dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The prez 12521 View Post
No. But there's a good chance she'll put her hand down there. Like we were holding hands in the movie, she moved our hands on my lap and I was just thinking...oh god please not now please stay soft
Reminding for when I get new iPod: Epic Win

07-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Have u tried iPhone developer program at the official apple site? The SDK is free for simulator use.
07-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Books.

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
07-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Quote:
My advice to you is to stop whatever else you are doing and just start developing ipod games. Start with the simplest game you can think off, and design it on notecards. Download the iPhone SDK and start learning interface builder. If you have an aptitude for programming, start learning Xcode. If not, find a programmer to hire or partner with. Don't wait another day - just start doing it. I wish you luck and look forward to hearing about your first game!

Developer at IMAK Creations, creator of ColorTilt and other lesser known apps, like That Ain't It!
Blog, twitter
07-06-2009, 03:44 PM
My first application I made was pong, with an unbeatable AI. It was fun, quick, and I learned a lot. Work on simple projects for your novicehood and when you feel you're ready, set out to solve a problem or innovate with an app that might actually be worth it.

07-06-2009, 04:33 PM
You'll need an intel based mac and iphone/ipod touch at the very least. Since your starting out I recommend an engine like Unity3D for the iPhone. You can get a 30 day trial of the engine to see if you like it. http://unity3d.com/unity/features/iphone-publishing

If you actually want to get something on the phone you'll need to pay apple $100USD to be a part of iphone dev program. You also need to be 18 or older because there is some contracts to approve unless it works different in other countries.

Lots to learn.
07-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehware View Post
You'll need an intel based mac and iphone/ipod touch at the very least. Since your starting out I recommend an engine like Unity3D for the iPhone. You can get a 30 day trial of the engine to see if you like it. http://unity3d.com/unity/features/iphone-publishing

If you actually want to get something on the phone you'll need to pay apple $100USD to be a part of iphone dev program. You also need to be 18 or older because there is some contracts to approve unless it works different in other countries.

Lots to learn.
Correction on some stuff: You only need pay the 100 dollars if you plan on getting it on the APP STORE, you can publish through Cydia/Icy free.

And in terms of the intel-based mac... you could also run the SDK on a virtual PC in Windows/Linux/etc, but you'de need a decent PC not to suffer from lag. I run the SDK on what I call my mac, but is actually a high power gaming PC running XP... with a virtual on it
07-06-2009, 06:45 PM
thanks everyone for the replies and im looking forward into making my first game and sharing it with everyone in the world that could play something i created based on ideas. But does it take long to learn Xcode and making a game?
07-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Ever seen gamesalad?

Artist and dev for Team Dropkick