★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Why don't more people have Galcon?

12-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Send a message via AIM to Herp
Why don't more people have Galcon?

Honestly, I think it's the best game in the app store right now.

The online multiplayer is amazing, doesn't even lag.

Yet the game hasn't even made it to the top 100? It would be so much better if more people had it (More online players).

I'm going to email the dev and ask him to try and get more attention.

Anyway, why do you guys think it's not in the top downloads? Do you think it's boring/not worth the money/just unrecognized? Isn't it like the first iPhone game to have internet-wide multiplayer?

I'm going to be spending some time as an advertisement-machine around my friends now. : D
12-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
The reason is because Galcon lite is just fine for most people. Galcon needs to drop the price to $2, because that's the price tag most people start buying games at, without much of a thought. I honestly liked Galcon lite, and I really want the full version, but $5 is way too much. Maybe it had a lot better graphics and more content, then it'd be worth it for $5.

If the dev drops it to $2, I'm gonna guess he'd be making a lot more money than he ever would have at $5.

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge

12-04-2008, 03:05 PM
seriously. Galcon is an amazing game, so simple yet fun.

As for the lite version, if your happy with it your weird, Online multiplayer is where its at with Galcon, the AI can never provide the fun of real opponents.
12-04-2008, 03:07 PM
This was a game I thought about buying, but found the price too high at first. It was $10 at the time. Some time later, the developer released the Lite version for free. I tried it and I like it. You actually get quite much with the Lite version and I think I haven't really understood what I get if I do buy the full version, except multiplayer mode.

However, it does sound fun to play against others (now that you mention it). I will probably try it out tonight. Now it's just $5, which is a steal for a game like this.
12-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by istopmotion View Post
The reason is because Galcon lite is just fine for most people. Galcon needs to drop the price to $2, because that's the price tag most people start buying games at, without much of a thought. I honestly liked Galcon lite, and I really want the full version, but $5 is way too much. Maybe it had a lot better graphics and more content, then it'd be worth it for $5.

If the dev drops it to $2, I'm gonna guess he'd be making a lot more money than he ever would have at $5.
I suppose so... But how could you be content with the lite version? The online-multiplayer is what brings the real entertainment.

Perhaps they should lower the price to attract more buyers. Something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchypoo View Post
seriously. Galcon is an amazing game, so simple yet fun.

As for the lite version, if your happy with it your weird, Online multiplayer is where its at with Galcon, the AI can never provide the fun of real opponents.
I agree.
12-04-2008, 03:11 PM
I think the price is just too high for a game this basic... It's just a bunch of circles with triangles that shoot towards them. I highly doubt it's worth $5 even with online play. That's a nice feature, but why would you want it when you can have the lite version that includes everything except multiplayer for free???

I don't really care about multiplayer mode. I have other games that were cheaper than this like Ace Tennis, Raging Thunder, etc. with online play and they're more polished and have more content.

[Edit] I have a perfect example of a game that is polished, offers more content and will have multiplayer mode (it was included in the beta but it didn't make it to the final version of the game on the app store). It's Warfare Incorporated. It has better graphics than Galcon, more features and its a lot bigger and more intense game. They both cost $5 but you get a lot more out of it with a game like Warfare Incorporated than you do with Galcon.

I'd love to buy Galcon. But, the price is just too high for what it's worth, in my opinion.

I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge

Last edited by istopmotion; 12-04-2008 at 03:16 PM.
12-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsef View Post
This was a game I thought about buying, but found the price too high at first. It was $10 at the time. Some time later, the developer released the Lite version for free. I tried it and I like it. You actually get quite much with the Lite version and I think I haven't really understood what I get if I do buy the full version, except multiplayer mode.

However, it does sound fun to play against others (now that you mention it). I will probably try it out tonight. Now it's just $5, which is a steal for a game like this.
Yes, I found 5 dollars to be really cheap for the content. Anyway, besides what you get in the lite version, you also get:

Stealth: You can't see the opponent's ships.

Vacuum: Capture all the planets in a time limit.

Beast: The opponent controls all the planets except for the two default planets you control.

3-Way: A match between three opponents.

Net Game: Online Multiplayer for 2-4 players.

Quote:
I think the price is just too high for a game this basic... It's just a bunch of circles with triangles that shoot towards them. I highly doubt it's worth $5 even with online play. That's a nice feature, but why would you want it when you can have the lite version that includes everything except multiplayer for free???

I don't really care about multiplayer mode. I have other games that were cheaper than this like Ace Tennis, Raging Thunder, etc. with online play and they're more polished and have more content.
Read the above. The lite only comes with the classic version, and the triangles are "ships" and the circles are planets. The online multiplayer is extremely fun.

It may be simple, but with the randomization of the planets, and a lot of different ways to play, it really is worth it.

EDIT: Galcon is extremely polished... Just because the graphics are simple doesn't make the game any less "finished".

Last edited by Herp; 12-04-2008 at 03:19 PM.
12-04-2008, 03:30 PM
This thread is asking why more people don't play Galcon. I gave my opinion and that's all that matters. I'm sure others will agree with me that it might not be worth it to spend $5 on the full version. There are other games that I could spend more time on than Galcon, like Fuzzle. It's $1 and probably my most used app besides Bike or Die.

12-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Because it's way overpriced.
12-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Quote:

So funny. I bought Galcon back in July, when it cost $10. To this day, it one of just a few app purchases I don't regret. And now people are complaining about a price point half of what it was back then? Too funny.