★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: GraviTicks

07-05-2009, 11:37 PM
GraviTicks

Ok... so I'm new here... but I couldn't find a thread for the game at the top of the toucharcade's home page... GraviTicks.

It looks very interesting... any impressions? The graphics don't look like they'll win any awards, but it is unique concept... and the gameplay looks smooth from the video - but also perhaps repetitive. Anyone bought this? There is not a single review on iTunes...

I might just have to take one for the team and buy it...
Attached Images

07-06-2009, 01:25 AM
Welcome to the TA Forums!
I might try it out sometime, thank you for posting it.

07-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Well... I guess I'll buy it. No reviews anywhere... but I like the concept of flying about our solar system utilizing the various planet's and moons gravitational pull...

Will post impressions soon.

Warp Gate is finally here...

Others currently getting play time: Strategery... the other 30 apps I own never really get played.
07-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Initial impressions (System: iPod Touch 2G V 2.2)

Don't buy it.

I will definetely invest more time into the game... but it is extremely frustrating so far.

The point of the game is to fly your spaceship around our solar system (via tilt control), shooting the GraviTicks. You have a limited amount of energy to use for thrust, retro-thrust and your weapon for killing the GraviTicks. You get more energy by piloting you ship into orbits around the planets. Simple enough.

Except controling the spacecraft is extremely frustrating. I tried to get the hang of it for 1/2 an hour, and could not kill more than a couple GraviTicks before crashing into a planet or getting 'Lost in Space.' You zip around the solar system entirely too fast. There are framerate issues... at times both the ships movement and music get very 'jerky.' The input of tilting your iDevice to pilot your ship seems to lag. Additionally, for no particular reason, the ship seems to have a mind of its own when flying around - perhaps gravity is pulling me off course... but regardless, it is unpredictable and frustrating.

The graphics are average at best. Extremely simple... but get the job done. However, the frame-rate issues become inexcusable with the minimal graphics.

This is a unique concept... but one that is poorly executed. If I can manage to get a better grip on the controls... the game may turn out to be fun. Even if that happens... the game appears to be very, very simple - not worth the $1.99 with the abundance of quality games in App Store at or below this price.

Others currently getting play time: Strategery... the other 30 apps I own never really get played.
07-06-2009, 04:30 PM
well thx for the advice
07-06-2009, 05:17 PM
I bought this yesterday. I've only played for about 10 minutes, but I felt I was picking it up fairly quickly. It seemed impossibly hard for the first couple of minutes, but once I started to get the hang of controlling the speed to aid turning, I found it's really quite good fun navigating around. At the price, my first impression is that it's worth a try if you like the concept. I'll report back when I've found a bit more time to play further.
07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
I should further validate my comments with the fact that this is my first "flying" game I've played on the iDevice, with the tilt controls, etc. So this is not neccessarily my area of gaming expertise.

And I do feel like I get the hang of it at times... but then my ship seems to just go on autopilot, with me having no control whatsoever. At only $2 and if you like flying games, it is still a questionable purchase in my opinion.

I'm continuing to play it... because I want to give it a fair shake - I hate to bash anyone's hard work... but this title might just need a little more work.

07-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm really enjoying this game now. The control occasionally seems to go a little crazy if you're travilling too slowly, but otherwise it's great fun. I've made it to level 14, so that proves it's not impossible. It's certainly challenging, I would recommend it to people who have some experience of proper flying games, and some understanding of the way gravity affects bodies travelling through space is a real help.
07-07-2009, 01:08 PM
I certainly grasp the gravity aspect of the game... thats what made me purchase it in the first place. I thought it was a very cool idea to slingshot yourself around the solar system making use of the planets gravity. Unfortunately... I don't think it was implemented very well in this game...

07-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Maybe I'm just feeling the benefit of playing on a 3GS, because I haven't felt any problems with lag, and I only get a small amount of framerate stutter very occasionally.

I actually think the control is about perfect. Where it seems like the controls go strange is actually just because you're going very slowly, and the craft suddenly reverses direction due to the gravitational pull of a planet behind you.