Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Im scared about the $1 price tag.
Me too,Thats my only concern.Hopefully the low cost doesn't hinder what should be a very good game.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

In the game listing, it has character unlocks and upgrades. Those will be IAP and maybe something in game to do them. That's my prediction.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Maybe its the launch price. Besides its just 99 cents
I hope so.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

There's no catch guys. Give me a few minutes to finish typing up some impressions.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 AM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
There's no catch guys. Give me a few minutes to finish typing up some impressions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQGbQ...layer_embedded

not sure what to think about this trailer
Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
There's no catch guys.... <-- That's the very thing i needed to hear.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy...

If you're saying there are no hidden "reasons" this game is a DOLLAR?

Ho-lee CRAP.

DBC
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'll be honest here and say this was probably my most anticipated iOS title ever. God of War (next to Mortal Kombat) is my favorite video game series, so the mere thought of having something like it on iOS was driving me batshit crazy. I've spent the last 2 and a half-or-so hours with it non-stop. What's the verdict?

If it looks, sounds and plays like God of War, it must be God of War, right? Not at all, really. Once you get past the obvious similarities to the GoW games, what you have here is truly, truly awesome.

Right off the bat: While The Gods does indeed have a storyline, this isn't an adventure game in the same vein as God of War, Dante's Inferno or Devil May Cry. If that's what you want, you're better off sticking with Wild Blood. It certainly isn't an ARPG or Diablo-like, based on some comments in this thread and the "Upcoming" one. It is however, by far, the best brawler on iOS. Whenever we get an old-school 2D brawler, it's always the same routine. Whether it's shallow gameplay, no upgrades or bad controls, it just seems like no one's ever satisfied. That's where The Gods comes in.

If you've cringed every time you've reached one of those parts in Devil May Cry or God of War where an area is blocked off and you can't continue until you've beaten every last enemy, you probably aren't the biggest brawler fan. That's essentially how Streets of Rage, Final Fight or any of the other old-school fighters played; beat a bunch of guys, an arrow flashes, you move forward into a new area...right? Did you grow up loving those games? That's exactly how this plays. It feels like a bunch of 16-bit era games hopped into the DeLorean and paid a visit to Kratos who happened to be in the middle of a massive boss fight. It's bloody fantastic. As long as you aren't expecting puzzles that sprawl over half a dozen areas, platforming segments (well, there are a couple so far...very minor though), pulling levers left and right (one so far) and quick-time events, you will absolutely love this.

Hats off to Calvi Games. This whole thing would've been a trainwreck had the controls sucked. They're spot-on and just keep getting better as your (huge & upgradable) repertoire of moves increases. It's astounding how well this plays on a touchscreen and obviously the game benefits from not having platforming segments and whatnot.

Hmmm...what else? If you're concerned about the length, these levels are MASSIVE, there are 3 difficulties, 11 "Challenge" maps, the game is iPad retina enabled and yes, it does have IAP. That said, the game's very generous with it's droppings (that did not turn out right, did it? ) and you're never pestered into buying anything. Any IAP is just to upgrade faster or to restore health and whatnot, but if you've been playing video games for more than a fortnight, you'll be fine. There are a couple of characters who I assume can only be bought through IAP, but seriously...if you're complaining about that when you paid a buck for this, shut up.

Am I ultimately disappointed I didn't get God of War on iOS? Well, let's just say that if this had turned out to be another Wild Blood, I would probably be kicking myself in the head. Instead I got a modernized old-school brawler...something I've been itching to play for years.

Kudos to Chillingo for "importing" this one. Seriously worth the wait. Love it!

Last edited by metalcasket; 02-20-2013 at 08:56 AM..
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

You've sold me Metalcasket. This has gone from something I might have a mild interest in to a certain buy.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
"Streets of Rage?" "Final Fight?" Great controls? Relatively optional IAP?

[Cue "Jesus Rays" bursting from the clouds, angels singing, harps playing...]

We have a winner!

Thanks for the imps, mc!

Now if you'll excuse me...

DBC