Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 AM

Default 4x4 Jam by Invictus

I downloaded this game as a TOFTT for you all, but instead I struck iDevice gold. I'm not gonna get in depth, but this game seriously rocks. Graphics, while not the best on the store, suffice nicely. Controls work flawlessly, at least accelerometer controls do. With this control scheme you touch the screen anywhere to brake and stop. After coming to a stop if you keep touching you'll reverse. I haven't tried touch to turn controls yet, sorry.

I'm not a fan of auto-accelerate, with this game it doesn't detract from my fun factor.

Terrain on the two "tracks" seems to be random generation, in jam session mode anyway. Like where your checkpoints appear. This mode is super fun. You can choose how many opponents and how many checkpoints before starting the race. Then you race to the first one no set path, just a arrow compass. Whoever reaches it first wins that checkpoint, then it's off to the next. Whoever reaches the predetermined ammount of checkpoints wins.

The two maps and the two vehicles (a VW type buggy, and a Blazer type jacked up suv) are the real stars of this show. Automobile physics on the jumps a plenty that are offered are awesome.

Discuss.

Btw, I would go more in depth, but typing a book from my phone in the workplace, I'm afraid, would make me appear to be a tweaker crack-head

=====

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 08-07-2010 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: appinfo
Old 07-06-2009, 02:49 AM

Have you played Stud, or just postng the info?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to Fu3lRac3r

Looks pretty awesome! Lets hope the controls work well.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu3lRac3r View Post
Looks pretty awesome! Lets hope the controls work well.
As for acc. controls, they work splendidly, very fluid.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to Fu3lRac3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
As for acc. controls, they work splendidly, very fluid.
Sorry just read your above post. I love motorstorm way to much to ignore this
Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Banned
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
Have you played Stud, or just postng the info?
Yeah i've played it but only had a couple of goes so far...Have to agree with what you put tho...Great fun so far....

Only done a couple of Jam races so far but lots of fun...Like the free roaming side of it...Gates radomly put with an arrow at the bottom pointing you in the general direction and distance to go..Once you hit one its off to find the next...

The free roaming makes this so much more fun than some of the on rails games out there...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 AM

I just wanted to add that there are 3 control schemes; accel. Steering with or touch steering, and acceler. With a gas and brake pedal! Also sensitivety settings.

There are also graphical and resolution settings, though with draw distance maxed and all rendering on high, I've only notice a few faint stutters.

With a career mode and a few unlockable tracks and trucks, this would be a console title. Still it's very fun and impressive as is.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:43 AM
Banned

Quote:

With a career mode and a few unlockable tracks and trucks, this would be a console title. Still it's very fun and impressive as is.
Been playing this a bit more and i would have to agree with you about them adding more tracks...At present only 2...Desert and Green Fields...And more trucks...At present it has the Beetle and 4x4 Truck...Also maybe add a few more opponents...At present only 4...

You get to race in the Off Road Race over 2,3,5 or 10 laps against 1,2 or 3 opponents and in the Jam Race you try to become the first to get thru 5,10,15 or 20 gates scattered around the location you are in...

You also have 4 paint jobs for both of your vehicles..

Also Free Roam Mode where you just mash it up across your selected location...Plenty of rolls and crashes to be had there...Only it doesn't do anything to your vehicle if you smash thru a tree...So maybe they could add some damage and what not when you do crash....

Still an enjoyable game so far and hopefully with some stuff like mentioned in an update or 2 it will make this game even better...Liking it so far tho
Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 AM

WOW!!! Just bought!

Haven't played yet, but bought because INVICTUS made 1NSANE, published by codemasters, one of my favorite games of all time and it looks identical from the screenshots:

1NSANE:

See what I mean?

Going to play now...
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post
WOW!!! Just bought!

Haven't played yet, but bought because INVICTUS made 1NSANE, published by codemasters, one of my favorite games of all time and it looks identical from the screenshots:

1NSANE:

See what I mean?

Going to play now...
Just had a look on youtube of a video of that game 1nsane...And yeah it's oh so similar...Now hope they add cockpit view like that game as well and 4x4 will rock even more...Wonder what updates they have in store for us?...maybe they will let us know