★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Battle of the Bulge (iPad) $9.99 -> $6.99

02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Battle of the Bulge (iPad) $9.99 -> $6.99

YouTube: video

GC: UnSurreal
02-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Argh! Why did this have to drop in price? I have wanted to buy this since it launched, even knowing that it would be WAY too hard for me, but I was able to justify not getting it due to the price..

But now that it's dropped, it's very tempting. Why does it have to be so hard?!

02-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Argh! Why did this have to drop in price? I have wanted to buy this since it launched, even knowing that it would be WAY too hard for me, but I was able to justify not getting it due to the price..

I don't see your point, it is not like you are playing time restricted game, turns can be as long as you want them to be and you have lot of time to think about next move.Singleplayer missions are more like turitorial for real deal - multiplayer.And it's not like you will play only with pros in multiplayer, but even they make mistakes.It's all about predicting your opponent move and some luck.

P.S. : I bought it at a full price as developers stated it was targeted to "niche " market and that they won't lower the price, but it was more than worth it's price after I got into it.
If you are into tactics grab it ASAP.
02-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Quote:

So just get it? This one's well suited for anyone looking for an intro into wargaming.
02-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Have been eyeing this for awhile, and after reading the developer interview on Pocket Tactics decided the time was right to buy it.
02-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador View Post
I don't see your point, it is not like you are playing time restricted game, turns can be as long as you want them to be and you have lot of time to think about next move.Singleplayer missions are more like turitorial for real deal - multiplayer.And it's not like you will play only with pros in multiplayer, but even they make mistakes.It's all about predicting your opponent move and some luck.

P.S. : I bought it at a full price as developers stated it was targeted to "niche " market and that they won't lower the price, but it was more than worth it's price after I got into it.
Doesn't this game take place above the tactical level? Can someone tell me what a chit represents in this game? Company, division, etc? I assume it's at least at the brigade level.
02-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador View Post

I'm not really into tactics, that's the thing. Really simple tactics are fine, but when they get this complex, which is what every review has defined this as, I think I would end up frustrated more than anything. Same with some of the more complicated board games I own.

In theory this would be a great game for me, but the complexity would end up getting the better of me and it would be a wasted $7, but that doesn't mean that the beauty and awesomeness behind the app doesn't make it tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblack View Post
So just get it? This one's well suited for anyone looking for an intro into wargaming.
But it's also a very complex game, see above for the rest of my reasons . It seems like it would be an amazing game, it's just more complex than I would be comfortable with.
02-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Ugh. I remember how much I love WW2, and having just watched Patton, FRICK. So there's $7.

After what I've seen, the history and details inside are worth it. I'll try delving in tonight.
02-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Quote:

If you find the Battle of the Bulge too hard, you can try Tank Battle 1944 or Tank Battle North Africa. I have those and find them easier to play. There is also a Civil War version from that developer.

But frankly, at this price, just pull the trigger on BotB...
02-23-2013, 03:54 AM
It's not overly complicated, it's a good game but be aware it's historical.