★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pajatzo - refreshing coin game of skill. Now FREE

12-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Pajatzo - refreshing coin game of skill. Now FREE

Hey,

I've been working on this project for a while now and it just went online at App Store. I thought I'd get the word out, but if it isn't kosher to plug your own stuff here, please remove this message.

Anyway, the game is a physics based simulation of a classic Finnish coin game "pajatso" (A flash game featurin pajatso, youtube of an actual machine). You can find these machines in many shopping malls, bars and gas stations.

Apart from the physics (which are handled by box2d) I'm most satisfied by the controls. I've been disappointed with many gimmicky control schemes done with the accelerometers, but I think this one really fits the bill. It allows you to play effortlessly while still resembling the real life interactions closely.

Here's a screenshot of the game in action.

Hope you guys check it out on iTunes. For a student like me, programming, designing and drawing the game has been a nice learning process. But hey, satisfied customers are a nice bonus

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298728882&mt=8

Last edited by eVp; 12-05-2008 at 08:48 PM.
12-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
So this is your first game? It looks pretty polished already on your first try! Nice job!

I'll check it out, good luck on future plans for development (if there are any)!

[Edit] Yes, it's fine to post about your own apps here. We see new devs here a lot and usually everyone appreciates that the devs like to visit TouchArcade forums.

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge

12-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Yep, it's my first. I've been a mac user since '95, but I haven't touched objective-C or cocoa before deciding to venture into iPhone development. Have done a little flash work before and decided to give real programming a whirl. Been a long haul to learn this stuff based on the sample programs.

Thanks for the compliments (and info)! And sure, I've got plans for another game. I spent quite a few hours in this project that I feel are "invested" and consequently wasted if I didn't continue. Hope the next one will come together faster. Alas, these plans are on hold, too many exams, articles and reports in the months ahead. (well, if this actually turns profitable, you never know!)
12-04-2008, 06:38 PM
I purchased this game and it's quite nice.

Graphics and physics feels right for this kind of game.

It's perfect for that minute play that became more than a minute because you want to win more and more.

And statistics increases replayability several times. It's nice to check it from time to time and even try to get better results. By the way, I don't understand how "games started" and "games finished" are related. Every game I've started I've also finished. Can you help on that? Or maybe a bug here?

All in all it's a nice game. Recommended.
12-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Quote:
I purchased this game and it's quite nice.

Graphics and physics feels right for this kind of game.

It's perfect for that minute play that became more than a minute because you want to win more and more.

And statistics increases replayability several times. It's nice to check it from time to time and even try to get better results. By the way, I don't understand how "games started" and "games finished" are related. Every game I've started I've also finished. Can you help on that? Or maybe a bug here?

All in all it's a nice game. Recommended.
Oh big thanks! Never thought it would sell any copies abroad (pajatso is universally known.... in Finland) or beyond my immediate family!

The idea behind "games started" and "games finished" is to expose perfectionists like me. If you notice your game isn't going well and start a new one before finishing the last one, you end up with a big gap in those numbers. Mine are currently 234 and 64 respectively. I am horrible.

Btw, can you beat my record of 133 in normal mode? (I suggest shaking the device instead of nudging if you want a big score)
12-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVp View Post
Oh big thanks! Never thought it would sell any copies abroad (pajatso is universally known.... in Finland) or beyond my immediate family!

The idea behind "games started" and "games finished" is to expose perfectionists like me. If you notice your game isn't going well and start a new one before finishing the last one, you end up with a big gap in those numbers. Mine are currently 234 and 64 respectively. I am horrible.

Btw, can you beat my record of 133 in normal mode? (I suggest shaking the device instead of nudging if you want a big score)
Right now I have 18 for games started and 11 for finished. However, I never pressed New game before finishing the current one. I've always finished my games (used all coins available to play with).

By the way, my current record is 114 with a 182% of return.
12-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVp View Post

That's what happens when you join a great community like TouchArcade. There's only been one person who I personally didn't like and he's banned. Otherwise TouchArcade is an awesome site.

Also, I'd buy the game to support you too... If I had money :\

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
12-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Right now I have 18 for games started and 11 for finished. However, I never pressed New game before finishing the current one. I've always finished my games (used all coins available to play with).
Well that sure sounds like a bug then. (ran out of excuses)
There's going to be a new version at some point nearish future. Adding some updated sounds (coin hits, new record..), trying to look further into optimizing the darned thing and now this stats fix. If I can hit 1000 downloads I'll be doing online high scores, but there's a long way to hit that mark.
12-04-2008, 07:38 PM
For those of us who aren't Finnish, there's a free Flash version of the game online if you want a primer.
12-05-2008, 05:02 AM
Well, at least it went top 10 in Finland after the first day.

Quote:
For those of us who aren't Finnish, there's a free Flash version of the game online if you want a primer.
Hey, I've played that before! Too bad it only allows you to launch one coin at a time. Also has some less than stellar physics.