The Year Walk Plot Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GoatisGod, Feb 24, 2013.

1. GoatisGod

GoatisGod Member

Feb 23, 2013
    #1 GoatisGod, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    Hey. I've noticed two threads on the Year Walk game. One just about the game, without spoliers, and one which decoding the hints the developers placed on the internet and in game. But their really isn't a thread where one can talk about spoilers without putting black bars. And with a game this complex and ambigious, black bars can become black walls.

So I'm making a plot speculation thread. Here's some ground rules.

1. You must have beaten the game! I'm don't want people yelling me saying that I spoiled the story for them. Okay?

2. If you have a different opinion, be polite. I don't want this to turn into Youtube!

3. Relax and enjoy the madness that is Year Walk.
    --------
    (Note, this all from post I made on another thread. I so if it seem's haphazard, I apologize. I'll rewrite it tomorrow.)

(Part 1)
    You see, I've noticed that majority of us believe the Theodor year walked only once, which was to give Daniel the note and knife. I don't believe this. However, while it seems that year walking can be used to time travel, it's most infamous use visions which Theodor had many of.

But Theodor wasn't in the forest, he was somewhere else, so how could he year walk? I ask you, when was it ever stated that one must go to a specific church to break the rift? No, the year walk ritual in theory could be done any where, as long as you followed the rules.

And also, why wouldn't Theodor remember it? He did, in fact we all saw it. Like he said, if the future could be altered, why not the past? He looked into the past using the Year Walk, allowing him to see what happened himself. It's was seen the entries, remember?

This also explains a few things. When one takes a Year Walk, their lives are always ruined, and they always suffer. Isn't it interesting that at the beginning E.S. and the people that Theodor worked with were interested in Year walking, but the moment Theodor began having the visions they turned hostile? Not slowly hostile, but right then and there?

Also this explains why Theodor had a vision of him 'breaking' the rules. Because he did. Theodor at some point after finding the box began Year walking, and his life slowly was ruined by the watchers. He simply saw this as dreams. However, he slowly discovered the Watchers by Year Walking, and figured out a way to change the past. He then he year walks for one last time... or so we think.

What do I mean by this? I might tell you later after I formulate more of my mad theories. Tell me what you think, alright.

(Part 2)
    I should have mention this, but it is just a thought rolling around inside my head. Comparing Daniel's year walk to Theodor is important because of one thing, the goals. Daniel wanted to see the future, in doing so he sealed his own fate. However if we are to say Theodore Year Walked multiple times, has it ever been said he year walked to the future? Theodor changed the past, but he never looked into the future.

However we need to also think about how time works in Year Walk. If Theodor succeded in Year Walking, Daniel would have died in the forest. But this means that Theodor would never found the box, since it was only by researching Daniel did he begin his path to madness.

Theodor seemed to think in one of the pictures, by Year Walking, you can 'rise above it all' but still be doomed He then underlines how. Theodor broke the rules, but by choosing the goal, he found a loophole.

Finally, I noticed something that may or may not make the second ending even more depressing, if you look at it in that way. Daniel says in the newspaper clipping, "I should have killed my self, then none of this wouldn't have happened." What if Daniel unlocked the box, but even after the reading the contents, he continued the Year Walk? After all, it's still just a few pieces of paper. If I had read that, I wouldn't want to believe it.

(Part 3)

That really depends on how you look at it. If Theodor was able to cheat the Watchers, then he is still may be in rift, basically rising above God, and the rules of this universe.

But if Daniel still year walked even with the information known, Theodor might be trapped in a endless cycle of year walking, trying to change the future. And if you think about the Walk Again? line in that perspective when you restart the game, it gets even more depressing. Heck, maybe that's the entire point of the game. Just like Theodore and Daniel, we want a better future, but when we the player try to break the rules of the game, in a way we make it even worse. While depressing, I think it's quite poetic if you see it in that perspective.

Add Notes
    Realized that if Daniel continues Year Walk, he also has the knife that is believed to have killed Stina.

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I believe this has a butterfly affect think about what it whoever wrote at the end. "Your not here yet" so to save future self the unborn has to kill himself (extra ending on butterfly effect) now as far as symbols and other things like that I'm not sure because it didn't go into it much. The church grim I wish they went more into but I read some info on him on wiki.

3. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Wrong section, thread should be moved to General Game Discussion.

4. GoatisGod

GoatisGod Member

Feb 23, 2013
    (Begins hitting wall with head)
    Ugh... note to self. WHen you join a forum for the sake awesome game. Think next time.

Uh.. yeah. I'm an idiot.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #5 Vovin, Feb 24, 2013
    Ok. Word is out on the web that there is a third ending maybe.
    There are also the following posts:

February 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    The games is much deeper than it appears..... http://almsten.se/

February 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    The devs buried clues in web sites..... http://www.vedtorp.se/

Do we still miss something? Maybe something too obvious? And now?

Btw, the text on the runestone means:

"Around my crypt in the sacred order."

[​IMG]

It wasn't just made up, but it was only an in-game hint.

6. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Huh, so what makes it a third ending? It's possible that they're just hinting at plot pieces...also where are those status updates from?

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #7 Vovin, Feb 24, 2013

Uhm, dunno, just copied and pasted them.
    Will look where they were from and post the link.
    But I guess that someone found a hint on the Vedtorp/Almsten websites...

edit, while browing around and searching, I've found two things at the Simogowiki:

[​IMG]

That link leads to this thread.

But there's more:

[​IMG]

Looks like we are still in for a treat.

8. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Found it: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/melonmasher/

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #9 Vovin, Feb 24, 2013
  10. cosmic68

cosmic68 Member

Feb 23, 2013
    I think the reason people believe there is a third ending is the App makers have stated that MOST people won't work out all the clues and those that do will have a big surprise.
    I didn't think it was a very hard game. I'm an average player at best, but I didn't need outside help.
    So therefore I feel I belong to the group belonging to most people not working out all the clues.

That, or the programmers have under estimated their players.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

True, but the game is solveable by most players without the need of others.
    At one point the devs stated that they want the players to talk about the game and solve the riddles. That's why I still believe that there is more.

12. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    The post from Simogo Wiki about something new at Vedtorp was when the site finally went live. It had been under construction for months.

13. Tobiachi

Tobiachi Member

Sep 1, 2009
    #13 Tobiachi, Feb 24, 2013
    Where did you find the rune translation? Interested if the runes written down in the companion means something different.
    (edit, the companion is the same text and says "around my crypt".)

14. BACKAHASTEN

BACKAHASTEN Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I finished the game two times and with both endings. I read the topics here about the game and found it interesting that there might be an third ending.

I saw a lot about hints that refer to the mill and a "treat"
    What if the treat is for real and not in the game but is in the real mill in Vedtorp.

15. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Can anyone translate the site?

16. BACKAHASTEN

BACKAHASTEN Member

Feb 24, 2013
    #16 BACKAHASTEN, Feb 24, 2013
  17. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Subscribed. Now to try and nudge the other speculators/investigators into this thread and leave the original thread for game impressions.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #18 Vovin, Feb 24, 2013
    *sigh*

Still thinking about the almsten.se image, but nothing.

I just let the questions float through my mind for a while.

Oh, and I just found the original quote from Simogo, it's in their blog:

They clearly AREN'T referring to the second ending.

19. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Here's an idea that's been circling my mind..What if Daniel and theodor are one person??Like Donald Blake and Thor or maybe a reincarnation..Stina's statement from the beginning which says "we are two people from different worlds"-or something like it,cant get it out of my head..clearly it's not a social or class diference between them..

How is Daniel connected to theo anyway??Why is there such a strong bond out of all the people who have ever year-walked??strange thing is Daniel might have fallen for stina also as he saw her die..How the hell did he saw her anyway??Did he really year-walk a lot of times or was he Daniel in a past life??

Just too many questions..lol

20. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    There are so many plot holes to work out, but your idea is similar to one I had last night.

For some reason, I got an idea that Theo had fallen in love with Stina, and the only way to be with her was to convince Daniel that he had murdered her and the only way to be with Stina was to get Daniel out of the way and having him commit suicide.

Because in the conversation with Stina, she is giving the answer to SOMEONE by the end of the year. Who is that someone? Because if we were playing as Daniel, she would be giving the answer to US, no?

But that implies Theo made several Year Walks. Despite that Year Walks are meant for divination of the future, somehow if you push far enough through the rift, you're able to cross planes of existence, even if they are centuries apart.

I know, I know it's rather hairbrained. But I just wanted to get that idea out that had been nagging in my head for a while.