★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Sparticle's first release

07-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Sparticle's first release

Hi everyone,

I am the creator of iChalky and I'm currently trying to get the word out about Sparticle, an iPhone game I recently released on iTunes' AppStore. Sparticle is a $1.99 fast-pace arcade/casual game set in a series of surreal environments.

Much like iChalky, the game's character and environment rely on simulated physics and custom code that squeezes the most out of the iPhone or iPod Touch's capabilities. It combines a 360-degrees play, intuitive controls and unlimited difficulty levels with a simple game objective. The application also makes use of 3D audio and the use of headphones is highly recommended for an immersive experience.

Collect gems to add play time to your clock and earn points. Avoid boulders as they will take time away from you. Each time your score reaches a milestone the game's difficulty is increased. Although it may seem easy at first there are virtually no limits to the game's difficulty. When the clock runs out the game is over.

Once you've collected enough gems gates will start to appear. Hit a gate to teleport to another world. This first version counts only 3 worlds but more are to come in subsequent updates. These worlds are not related to levels of difficulty, which solely depends on your score.

Tilt your device to influence gravity and touch the screen to jump. To pause, save or quit a game touch and hold both the clock and the score at the same time.

* Gravitation is read from the accelerometer and matches that or the real world. Hence if you tilt your device to the right, the boulders will tend to fall to your right. You character however will try to "hold on" as much as the floor friction allows it to. This way you can avoid a boulder by effectively steering them away from your character.

* When you tap the screen the character will jump in such a way as to "reach" the location you tapped. In order to do that it computes a launch direction and velocity. If you tap the screen to the right of the character it will jump the the right, the further away from the character you tap and the bigger the jump. If you tap the screen above the character it will simply jump up, again with an intensity that depends on how far above the character you tapped. This might sound easier than it is as you will have to develop an intuition for your character's trajectory before you decide how and when to launch it.

What's under Sparticle's hood?

This application uses OpenGL for 3D graphics rendering and OpenAL for sound effect but it does not use any third-party game or physics engine.

It was built from the ground up leveraging the character physics of iChalky. As a result it affords a frame rate in excess of 50 frames per second on an iPod Touch 2g or an iPhone 3G while modeling complex dynamics. For instance, the behavior of surrounding particles is determined by a complex electric field generated by the avatar and the boulder's bounces and spins are derived from terrain friction. Even the camera following the character has its own physics. In fact most of the game's code is a custom physics engine and almost none of its behavior is scripted.

Levels of difficulty are dialed through the numerous parameters that control the game's physics and scoring. Boulders get progressively larger and heavier, harder to avoid as their speed increases and more likely to knock off gems in their path. The time penalty for being hit increases as well with the game's difficulty. Gems become more scarce and the terrain becomes more curved. Although the game starts out fairly easy in order to allow the player t get familiar with the controls there is virtually no limit to how difficult it may become as your score increases.

Promo codes

Here are five. Be sure to post when you grab one so others may know it's used.

KEA33NPP66YT - gone
4J3J4K4XMJEH - gone
FXJHHJ9HF7W4 - gone
7P4K3T4JNE4Y - gone

(Sorry, they're all gone)

More information, a YouTube demo video and a purchase link are available at http://www.metois.com/Sparticle

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2009.06.20 16.35.24.png
Views:	6
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	5223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2009.06.20 16.27.11.png
Views:	4
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	5224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2009.06.20 16.27.48.png
Views:	6
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	5225  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2009.06.20 16.29.31.png
Views:	5
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	5226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2009.06.20 16.31.01.png
Views:	4
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	5227  

Last edited by ericmetois; 07-14-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Further information about the game's control and mechanics
07-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Nabbed FXJHHJ9HF7W4 ... Thanks!

07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
got 7P4K3T4JNE4Y, will come back with comments/feedback
07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Send a message via AIM to k1ite
Took WLYLJYLWL4HF will be back for a short review after work so....another 10-11 hours....
07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
there all gone and only 3 posts? god damn lurkers.seriously.

oh well im gonna go mess with ichalky for now

yslandia- bruce lee. plus+/openfeint-sundance kid. gamecenter-hitmonleeurface
currently playing: yslandia, mega worm,bit trip beat,meow meow happy fight, zombie highway,monster dash,eboy fixpix,land air sea warfare.
07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
all gone. 2 didn't post

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...
07-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I snagged the second one. Sorry, I couldn't post right away- the telephone was ringing.
07-06-2009, 03:05 PM
aww missed them but i still think ill buy it i wanted to try for a while
07-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Eric, and welcome to TouchArcade!

I just want to say that I bought Sparticle a day or two ago and love it.

07-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by funambulist View Post
Hi Eric, and welcome to TouchArcade!

I just want to say that I bought Sparticle a day or two ago and love it.

Thanks and thanks,

Game development is a new thing for me and I'm glad to hear you enjoy it. Any chance you could write a quick review on the AppStore? It looks a bit sad up there with no review and no rating...

PS: what's your score so far?