★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

On The Subject of Piracy...

07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
On The Subject of Piracy...

First, let me settle one thing.

You're not going to end it. If a million dollar movie production is pirated on release, an indie developer has no hope.

That said,
There's one thing you have to accept, and that's that pirates are your consumers too. You, like it or not, cater to them amongst your other users when you develop an app.

I've often pirated apps...

But I don't, on my iPod, have a single pirated app right now. (excluding ROMs in Cydia-obtained emulators) If I liked an app, I purchased it to support a developer whom I felt deserved my money. If I didn't, I deleted it. I have 7 pages of apps I payed for, but most of those, at one time or another, were freshly downloaded off of **********
So were atleast 3 pages more of apps, that I deleted, not feeling worth my money.

I realize that of all pirates my kind is rare, but that's irrelevant. You should recognize that my kind does exist, and isn't a cover. There's three kinds of pirates you need to learn about: The try-b4-buy guy, the wouldnt-pay-4-it, and the minority, the pirate who would of bought your app had he not pirated it.

The try-b4-guy is me. He downloads a cracked app to see if he likes it, and if the developer had earned his money. He tries his best to support developers he can afford to support, and those he can't he atleast tries to publicize positively.

The wouldnt-pay-4-it man... He's that 10 year old cousin of yours who browses 4chan and laughs at sexual innuendo he doesn't understand. He may also be a poor man who can't afford your app. (like it or not, a dollar is a lot to spend on a game to some people) Regardless of who he is, he wasn't planning on buying this for whatever reason, and you should atleast embrace getting the free publicity from a source that you would of otherwise not reached.

The third man, the minority, and the only pirate an anti-crack would effect, is the pirate who does it simply to get it for free. There's no other motive. He might pay for it had it not been available for free, but it's cracked, and he's happy. Your sales, your revenue, do not, at all, depend on this guy.

The third kind of man still represents a slim portion of the market and again, be thankful you got the publicity.

So stop complaining about pirates and learn to embrace them! If there's anything that the RIAA/MPAA has taught us, it's that there is no deterring people, whatever their motive might be, from getting a freebie.

Make the best app you can and put the time you might have put figuring out how to secure it into something your time is worth! Everyone benefits, even the developer.

Thank you for your time, everyone.
-dorino

P.S.
Yes, I joined this forum just to post this, and excuse me if it's dull or poorly written. It was rushed. It's raining outside, and my computer isn't on a surge protector right now.

P.P.S.
I'm not an iPhone/iTouch developer, though I do have interest and am awaiting my mac's arrival home in order to begin learning to work within the SDK... I've never sold an application I made because I don't feel that should be what I make money off of. I make money in other fields where people can't pirate, like web design. Feel free to steal a site I haven't thought up yet, right?

Last edited by dorino; 07-06-2009 at 03:41 PM.
07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Comments would be greatly appreciated.

07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I do the same exact thing!

I thought I was the only one!
07-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I do that. Unless it's an EA game. I feel they don't need (or deserve) my money.
07-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I'd appreciate another developer's arguements, a developer whose coming from a vastly anti-pirate view...

A discussion would be fun!

And crimson, EA's often embraced piracy. Spore's being leaked, Burnout having online for 5 months even when pirated, and countless other examples earn them great respect in my eyes. But that respect is often thwarted by their sh*t games.
07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
I'd appreciate another developer's arguements, a developer whose coming from a vastly anti-pirate view...

A discussion would be fun!

And crimson, EA's often embraced piracy. Spore's being leaked, Burnout having online for 5 months even when pirated, and countless other examples earn them great respect in my eyes. But that respect is often thwarted by their sh*t games.
Once they make a great iPhone game I'll consider buying them because so far I've deleted all the ones I've pirated.
07-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson. View Post
Once they make a great iPhone game I'll consider buying them because so far I've deleted all the ones I've pirated.
See: Sims 3
07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Wasn't Spore the most pirated video game last year? My friend told me it saw a million downloads in a single day.
07-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootbean View Post
Wasn't Spore the most pirated video game last year? My friend told me it saw a million downloads in a single day.
I believe it was. It was the most pirated game before official release, I know that. The leak and all...
07-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
See: Sims 3
It's a stripped down version of the far superior PC/Mac game. Could've been better. Much better. EA needs to stop being so lazy and make something amazing because we all know it's possible. Espcially with their resources.