★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hello

06-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Send a message via ICQ to malkia Send a message via AIM to malkia Send a message via MSN to malkia Send a message via Yahoo to malkia Send a message via Skype™ to malkia
Hello

Hello,

My name is Dimiter, but I'll go in these forums by the nickname of "malkia"

My recent efforts were doing a terrain renderer for the iPhone/iPodTouch.

Anyone else doing something like that? We can exchange ideas!

I'm most interrested in speeding anything OpenGLES 1.1 related - how to optimize the draw calls, what formats to use, so no data conversion is avoided, is multi-threaded rendering doable (pushing data on one thread, preparing the next one to draw), efficient texture storage - PowerVR Compression, etc.

Thanks!
06-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
As you're obviously aware, the graphics core of the iPhone's chipset includes PowerVR hardware.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42496

I wonder how similar this is to the iteration of PowerVR used in the Sega Dreamcast, a "failed" console for which I have particular fondness. It was quite a capable unit and was sadly overlooked in its time.

If the iPhone's implementation of the PowerVR chipset is anywhere near as powerful as that of the unit in the Dreamcast then we are in for some rather amazing visuals.

blakespot

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]
06-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Send a message via ICQ to malkia Send a message via AIM to malkia Send a message via MSN to malkia Send a message via Yahoo to malkia Send a message via Skype™ to malkia
Thanks!

I've actually sent an email to the PowerVR guys, when we can expect some of their tools ported to Mac - and they said soon, but not sure.

For now I have to use Windows (or one can use Linux) to use the PVR Compress Texture tool.

It could be that the official SDK might have that in.