★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Star Traders RPG (Trese Brothers)

02-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Star Traders RPG (Trese Brothers)

An Android exclusive which is still in active development, as per the usual Trese Brothers' development routines, which are: launch a beta, engage with the community, update several times a week.

Play Store link for the regular version (Free)
Play Store link for the Elite version (Paid)

The free version doesn't have any ads, and allows you to play pretty much the game to completion. I know it has less content than the Elite version, but I can't say I know the details - less characters, weapons and equipment, I believe, and maybe the map is smaller?

Star Traders is their most successful game, I believe, and it's a Space Opera themed game. You control your ship, select the crew, and what kind of jobs you can take. The gist from the store is:

Quote:
Star Traders RPG Elite is a complex space simulation and turn-based Strategy role playing game. The game is set in a vast, dynamic galaxy torn apart by war, betrayal and commerce.

Pick sides in a shifting war between 6 unique Factions. Pick a side (or two) and play as Merchant, Assassin, Explorer, Warlord, Pirate or Smuggler. Buy, Sell, Battle and Pilot over 100 unique craft. Discover, Explore and Quest on more than 140 planets.

For both Hero & Villain: Upgrade to RPG Elite! Elite supports Cory and Andrew!

Featuring a professional soundtrack this epic space opera is a hit with fans of Star Wars, Firefly, Serenity and Battlestar Galatica. Your command of the ship is under constant threat, both internal and external. Can you manage your resources, crew, officers well to enough to turn a profit on your contracts? Those that do will be among the Faction's elite Star Heroes -- and those that fail will be branded bandits and Crimelords.
Star Traders RPG is in active development based on your feedback. Elite is regularly updated with new ships, new rumors and contract types.

Inspired by games such as EVE, Space Trader, Master of Orion, Pirates! and many other classic computer RPGs.
If you enjoy adventure, Action RPG or SciFi RPG with complex depth you may enjoy Star Traders space role playing game.

Full character control and customization. Travel the galaxy in this turn-based strategy/role-playing game.

Features 5 unique skills, 8 character classes, 100 different capital space craft. Customized your craft and ships with 36 different improvements.
Some people might be dissuaded by the art style, but that being said, I can't recommend enough all of their games - Star Traders RPG (which is also available on iOS), Cyber Knights RPG, Templar Assault, and their new Kickstarter for Heroes of Steel, which would be a similar fantasy-based tactical RPG, looks quite promising. They also react very well to the community, and include several of the feedback on their very frequent update.

And, as an added thing, if you buy the full version but don't like it, the developers provide their email addresses in the game description, and will honor any request for a refund after the 15-minute window Google allows. If that doesn't tell you how serious these two indie brothers are in terms of their commitment and love for their games, I have a hard time making my case

I'll try to create threads for the three of these games, though the gist will be pretty similar.

Hope this helps starting the discussion around these

Cheers,
Paulo

Last edited by pjft; 02-28-2013 at 04:25 PM.
02-28-2013, 07:24 PM
@pjft - thanks for starting this thread too! I am one of the two Trese Brothers and would be excited to answer any questions and will be posting details about game updates here! Our most recent Android update took is past 500 ships in the game and 50 types of ship upgrades!

There is a long-running thread about Star Traders on the iOS devices already which you might check out:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=170816

Also, we have a fourth game in the works if you check my signature!

Challenging Turn-based RPGs & Strategy Games - Trese Brothers Games
App Store
Steam
Google Play

03-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Star Traders 5.0.9 was just released to the Android markets last night in part of a "triple-release" effort in which all three of our games received awesome new updates. Good luck taking on the new Alien Killer awards, those are not going to be easy!

Please support Star Traders RPG By Leaving a Review
v5.0.9 - 3/12/2013
- New Ship Artwork: Steel Mast
- New Award: Alien Killer I
- New Award: Alien Killer II
- New Award: Space Hive I
- New Award: Space Hive II
- New Award: Alien Flagship (Heela)
- Two New Merchant Ships
- New Ship: Royal Lifter
- New Ship: Royal Liner
- Message when Exploring with 1 HP

App Store
Steam
Google Play
03-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Excited to announce that there is a new release of Star Traders RPG (space simulation RPG trader) available for your Android mobile gaming pleasure.

v5.0.11 - 3/15/2013
- Improved HUD Display for Contracts
- Display Cache Locations on Zoom Map
- New Ship Artwork: Cold Iron
- New Ship: Line Falcon
- New Ship: Tiberia Long-Liner
- New Ship: Dune High-Lift
- Better Zoommap Performance

The biggest improvement in this release of Star Traders is around the HUD (heads up display) for your Captain's travels on the star map. Beyond basic performance, the biggest improvement is the display of the contract destination button. When your Captain's Faction contract is located in an Urban Zone (as shown below) the correct button will be displayed in red.

App Store
Steam
Google Play
03-16-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks to pokerjunky on our forums who has contributed and hosted this amazing Star Traders charting tool which allows you to compare and contrast all of the ships within the Star Traders Quadrant. You can see the app here: http://charts.startradersrpg.com/

Please check out this amazing resource. It is especially exciting to see someone else's charts and mathematics show that our ship balancing algorithms have achieved their purpose! We hope that this will help you pick the best warship, smuggler, and defender as you build the fleets for your Captains ... and beyond.

Pokerjunky explains his process on the forum:
http://startradersrpg.proboards.com/...ad=3121&page=1

App Store
Steam
Google Play
03-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Interactive Quadrant Map

Another great Star Traders community gamer and one of our 2 year veterans, @slayernz, recently posted this interactive Star Traders map. As the Elite Quadrant is immense and very dangerous to traverse from edge to edge, this navigation guide is as valuable as pure spice in the spicing hall.

App Store
Steam
Google Play
03-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Star Traders RPG is an animated turn-based strategy RPG with a focus on political intrigue, space trading and resource management. Recruit a group of officers, upgrade your ship and take to the stars -- what do the fates hold in store for you?

Star Traders RPG has been compared to Elite, Dope Wars, Trade Wars (in space) and by some folks, supplied an EVE Online fix offline and mobile. The graphics may not be 3D and super fancy but the rules are very tuned and carefully balanced. The game's design focuses on scaled difficulty and replayability.

v5.0.13 - 3/21/2013
- Added New Low Health Warnings
- Fixed Alien AI Crashes
- Display Credits on Upgrade Screen
- New Ship: Dark Dominion
- New Ship: Royal Battlecruiser
- New Ship: Sword Battlecruiser

App Store
Steam
Google Play
03-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Looks cool, somewhere between Elite and Birth of the Federation!
03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
@ievilgames - hope you try it out. The free version is easy to download and contains most of the game, if only 35% of the content (ships, planets, upgrades, officers). WE'd love to hear your feedback!

App Store
Steam
Google Play
03-23-2013, 11:39 AM
This latest update to the Star Traders RPG game fixes several critical bugs with the new HUD features that were released in v5.0.11 -- some Android phones were experiencing crashes loading games. This release includes several small fixes and a bug fix patch for that crash.

Thank you to everyone who clicked the "Report" button to help us track this down and get it fixed quickly.

Please support Star Traders RPG By Leaving a Review

v5.0.15 - 3/22/2013
- Fixes Map / HUD Button Crash
- New Ship: Logicus Liner
- New Ship: Technar Lifter
- Improved Upgrade Screen Performance
- Added New Low Health Warnings

Google Play "Star Traders RPG" Free
http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...es.startraders

Amazon "Star Traders RPG" Free
http://www.amazon.com/Trese-Brothers.../dp/B004UBM7Z6

Google Play "Star Traders RPG Elite" ($2.99USD)
http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...artraderselite

Amazon "Star Traders RPG Elite" ($2.99USD)
http://www.amazon.com/Trese-Brothers.../dp/B004SCN2F6

App Store
Steam
Google Play