★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Templar Assault (Trese Brothers)

02-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Templar Assault (Trese Brothers)

An Android exclusive which is still in active development, as per the usual Trese Brothers' development routines, which are: launch a beta, engage with the community, update several times a week.

Play Store link for the regular version (Free)
Play Store link for the Elite version (Paid)

The free version doesn't have any ads, and allows you to play pretty much the game to completion. I know it has less content than the Elite version, but I can't say I know the details - less weapons and equipment, I believe, and less campaign missions.

Templar Assault is, putting it simply, an excellent squad-based tactical game like old-school Space Hulk. The gist from the store is:

Quote:
Templar Assault is a turn-based strategy RPG which pits the venerable and mighty warriors of the Templar Order against the destructive forces of the Star Traders Quadrant. Build, equip, and control you Templar squad on the field of battle as you face aliens, xenoform, forgotten evils, pirates and heretics.
In this sci-fi tactical role playing game (RPG), you maneuver your indomitable but cumbersome warriors through tight spaces aboard starcraft, on the surface of planets, and in deep and ancient mines and temples. While protected by the mighty Templar armor, and wielding the destructive powers of the Leviathan weaponry, you must coordinate and command your warriors with skill to survive the horrendous forces of evil.

Templar Assault takes inspiration from Star Traders RPG, the Aliens films, Starcraft and tactical table top games and produces a high-tension game that requires a unique level of focus and skill. Your Templar Knights are a tight knit team of warriors capable of combat in any environment -- however, their enemies are dire and mighty and only by working together and with strategic unison can they prevail.

This animated, top-down strategy RPG features several different campaigns and skirmishes taking place on abandoned starships, ancient planets, abandoned mines, lost ships, and underground temples, all infested with the deadly xenos, heretics and pirates.

FEATURES:
- Multiple Campaigns
- Quick Play Skirmish Mode
- Multiple Specialized soldier types
- Battle against xenos forms, aliens, egg-sacks, ancient evils, pirates and heretics!
- Vast armory of Weapons and Armor
- Gain XP and Level Up each Templar
Some people might be dissuaded by the art style, but that being said, I can't recommend enough all of their games - Star Traders RPG (which is also available on iOS), Cyber Knights RPG, Templar Assault, and their new Kickstarter for Heroes of Steel, which would be a similar fantasy-based tactical RPG, looks quite promising. They also react very well to the community, and include several of the feedback on their very frequent update.

And, as an added thing, if you buy the full version but don't like it, the developers provide their email addresses in the game description, and will honor any request for a refund after the 15-minute window Google allows. If that doesn't tell you how serious these two indie brothers are in terms of their commitment and love for their games, I have a hard time making my case

I'll try to create threads for the three of these games, though the gist will be pretty similar.

Hope this helps starting the discussion around these

Cheers,
Paulo

Last edited by pjft; 02-28-2013 at 04:23 PM.
02-28-2013, 07:22 PM
@pjft - thanks for getting a post going about Templar Assault. I will post details about updates here and am one of the two developers for Trese Brothers, so I can answer questions and help anyone on the board!

We've got a fourth gaming coming, if you see my sig.

Challenging Turn-based RPGs & Strategy Games - Trese Brothers Games
App Store
Steam
Google Play

03-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Templar Assault v1.4.5

The latest release of Templar Assault RPG has added more weapons and armor for the new Berserk Templar, and updated three existing levels to contain bonus zones and hidden dialog.

v1.4.5 - 3/7/2013
- New Weapon: Acrum Axe
- New Shield: Hunter Shield
- Added 10 New Hidden Bonus Objectives
- "Familiar Ground" has 4 New Bonuses
- "Gatecrasher" has 3 New Bonuses
- "The Last Squad" has 3 New Bonuses
- Typo and Dialog Improvements, Crash Fixes
- Fixed Carried Shields Display

Read more: http://startradersrpg.proboards.com/...#ixzz2N3CSFjm1

App Store
Steam
Google Play
03-09-2013, 09:58 PM
I have tried to play the game again recently, but find that I must really suck at it, since I keep dying on the second mission... Am I missing something?

Any tips would be excellent - I usually have trouble with running out of ammo, and with what appear to be infinitely respawning enemies... I usually break my group in two small groups of two Templars, but that doesn't really work well. I could take them all together, but 4 guys in a row in a single-width corridor seems like a waste?

Cheers,

Paulo
03-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjft View Post
I have tried to play the game again recently, but find that I must really suck at it, since I keep dying on the second mission... Am I missing something?

Any tips would be excellent - I usually have trouble with running out of ammo, and with what appear to be infinitely respawning enemies... I usually break my group in two small groups of two Templars, but that doesn't really work well. I could take them all together, but 4 guys in a row in a single-width corridor seems like a waste?

Cheers,

Paulo
@pjft - which level are you struggling with? Every Templar level is a race against time (being overwhelmed, running out of ammo) so you have to move quickly, but still maintain a tight enough defensive formation that the enemy can't get to you.

Your Templar Soldiers, Scouts, and Captain are highly trained and can exercise a unique Templar fighting technique called Phalanx Fire, which allows them to fire past a battle brother in tight hallways. So, use that to your advantage when traveling together. Two Templar stacked up and facing forward can provide a powerful defensive with their guns blazing.

Also, there are items you can buy in the armory, such as a Relic Ammo Kits, which will distribute extra equipment to your Templars for a single level. Try these out!

Finally, Templars has a =very= serious difficulty scale, so play at the level that is fun and where you can win until you get your skills up. I actually spent the last two weeks trying to beat the Vengeance campaign on Brutal and still haven't cleared all the levels!

App Store
Steam
Google Play
03-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. It's actually very shameful, but I'm just in the start of the game, in "The Gauntlet" stage, playing in Normal, I believe. The issue is that there seems to be a secondary objective for the level which is "Destroy all Xenos", so I end up believing that it is something that I am meant to attain at this point of development of my Templar squad. That being said, very often it just seems that Xenos keep on coming out from the same entry point, like 10+ just from one entry point, so I do wonder if I'm doing well in trying to go for both objectives, or I should just focus on the main goal.

Cheers,
Paulo
03-11-2013, 06:42 PM
@pjft - ahhh, I see. We have had some feedback that those messages are confusing in the game details. Sorry! That secondary objective flavor and not an actual level requirement. Focus on the primary and kill any xenos that get in the way! The xenos are just going to keep coming forever! If you have a level where you have to kill a certain amount, it will be clearly stated (kill 25).

The next release of Templar Assault is introducing some standardization of the briefings and the maps that they use to make objectives more clear, so hopefully this will start to help.

App Store
Steam
Google Play
03-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Oh, I see. Well, since it was a secondary objective, I though it would be attainable. I guess that that is not the case, and they will always keep on coming - then I'll just plow through them.

What should I make of secondary objectives, then? Are they sometimes not attainable? Is that even desirable?

Cheers, and thanks

P.S. - How's Heroes of Steel going?
03-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjft View Post
Oh, I see. Well, since it was a secondary objective, I though it would be attainable. I guess that that is not the case, and they will always keep on coming - then I'll just plow through them.

What should I make of secondary objectives, then? Are they sometimes not attainable? Is that even desirable?

Cheers, and thanks

P.S. - How's Heroes of Steel going?
@pjft - we should have a HoS update out tonight or tomorrow hopefully!

The secondary objectives are often more suggestions ("Keep your Templars alive"). We are working on making this part more clear, because rarely do they have real game meaning. Sometimes they help highlight potential Easter eggs that you could snag in later levels and campaigns.

App Store
Steam
Google Play
03-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Oh wow - great! I just saw the update, it looks excellent

Thanks for the tip on Templar Assault, I'll just ignore this then, since it apparently is not possible to kill all enemies in this scenario.

Cheers, and keep up the good work!