★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best Android exclusives?

02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Best Android exclusives?

I've only had my Nexus 7 for a few weeks and really like it but it can be frustrating to find games that are exclusive to Android that are really good.

I know a lot of Kemco RPGs come out on Android first and I've grabbed some others (also getting some games that weren't compatible with my 3GS.)

Right now I'd say my favorite exclusive is Puddle. Absolutely absorbing atmosphere and unique gameplay as you try to get liquids through a level with various obstacles that affect that liquid. Looks fantastic on a Tegra 3 device.

So what are some others?
02-28-2013, 05:22 PM
I created the threads for Cyber Knights RPG, Templar Assault and Star Traders which are very good games. Star Traders is no longer an exclusive, though. That being said, it's more catered to an audience that would rather focus on content and substance over necessarily pretty graphics and animations coming from a large studio. These are ambitious games developed by two brothers, on a part-time effort. They have free versions of their games, with no ads, just limited content.

The Kingturn series is also quite good, though it's once again turn-based, tactical RPGs. Their Kingturn RPG Plus one is free, with an IAP to unlock the full game, so it could give you an idea of how it plays.

Dungeon Ascendance is, so far to my knowledge, the closest you'll get to Desktop Dungeons on a mobile - it has a sufficiently different twist to it that the Desktop Dungeons developers have acknowledged that it is a different game to theirs, and not a straight copycat as some in the past. I haven't played Desktop Dungeons that much, but some of the same mechanics seem to be present. It also has a free version, no ads if I recall correctly, but limited content.

I would definitely recommend all of these, at least to see if it's your kind of game.

What kind of games do you like? I guess my catalog has been quite biased to what I actually have time to play, but you might be able to get other recommendations if you're looking for something more specific.

There are several OrangePixel games that have never been ported to iOS, if you're into platformers, and most have a free, ad-supported version if you'd like to try them out.

Last edited by pjft; 02-28-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Kingturn RPG Plus is the free one. Sorry for the confusion.

02-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Shapes & Sounds is a good droid exclusive.
Simple gameplay coupled with good art make it worth playing.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=180023
02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
9th Dawn is probably the biggest open-world rpg right now. Retro-looking with many modern elements. Demo version and 3$ version.
02-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjft View Post
The Kingturn series is also quite good, though it's once again turn-based, tactical RPGs. Their Kingturn RPG one is free, with an IAP to unlock the full game, so it could give you an idea of how it plays.
I came here to say that. I've completed and love Kingturn Underworld RPG and Kingturn Plus RPG. Kingturn RPG looks great. I created threads for all here. Highly recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester8_4 View Post
9th Dawn is probably the biggest open-world rpg right now. Retro-looking with many modern elements. Demo version and 3$ version.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've noticed 9th Dawn and been curious.
02-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the tip as well, going to download the demo straight away and try it out later.

@undeadcow: it was actually thanks to your strong recommendation for Knighturn that I ended up trying them out, and actually getting the 3 of them. I have to say, the graphics of the original Kingturn, together with the fact that I hadn't read the manual and FAQ made that I didn't really play it much and just disregarded it. However, I'm glad you advocated for it in the iOS thread - I'm happy I have found these games!

Great thread so far!

Last edited by pjft; 02-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.
02-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Non-casual games

If you are looking for non-casual games, I would second @pjft and recommend the games by the Trese Brothers: Star Traders, Templar Assault, and Cyber Knights.

However, I happen to be a Trese Brother, so ... take that with a grain of salt!

Either way -- they are games for gamers who want depth, complexity, and replayability. Check 'em out!

Challenging Turn-based RPGs & Strategy Games - Trese Brothers Games
App Store
Steam
Google Play
02-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I know there's some good stuff out there just not as easy to find out about as it is on the iOS.

And thanks, in particular to undeadcow for creating a bunch of threads over here, even though I wanted this forum it was kind of for the selfish reason of finding out about Android games. Hope that I'll get versed enough to make some more knowledgable contributions of my own.
02-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
...And thanks, in particular to undeadcow for creating a bunch of threads over here, even though I wanted this forum it was kind of for the selfish reason of finding out about Android games...
I'm in the same boat. I don't even have an Android yet but have heard a lot of promising things about the format. Maybe if I start threads for a few promising Android exclusive games that look promising people will post feedback and help me decide if I should get a "droid."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjft View Post
@undeadcow: it was actually thanks to your strong recommendation for Knighturn that I ended up trying them out, and actually getting the 3 of them... I'm happy I have found these games!
It's been a while since I could enthusiastically recommend Knighturn because it's been removed from App Store. The developers claim that it's much more popular on Android but have suggested they might make the upgraded edition available on iOS soon.

Last edited by undeadcow; 02-28-2013 at 11:01 PM.
02-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Right now I'd say my favorite exclusive is Puddle. Absolutely absorbing atmosphere and unique gameplay as you try to get liquids through a level with various obstacles that affect that liquid. Looks fantastic on a Tegra 3 device.
I've been playing this as well and it is compelling to play on especially with a Nexus 7.
Recommend picking this up.

And another post of thanks to undeadcow for posting all those threads. Appreciated.

Last edited by Coldar; 02-28-2013 at 10:39 PM.