★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Drop - Physics Game Obulis Clone. Lite is out

07-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Drop - Physics Game Obulis Clone. Lite is out

Link 1.99
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320972856&mt=8

Intro
Drop. is one new type puzzle game. The goal of this game is to break the chain and drop the color ball into the right color bottle.

How to play
All you have to do is click the chain you want to break, and click it again to break it. Don’t forget to choose a nice time when you break it. Try to Drop!

What’s specail?
•Real Physic Moving
•Free Way to Clear the Stages
•You can Do what you think and Try!

It is a clone of Obulis for the PC

Youtube link | Pop Up
07-06-2009, 09:39 PM
I wish there was more of an effort to mimic the look of the pc version. It's one of the most visually stunning puzzle games I have ever seen. The iPod version looks watered down and bland. I know it couldn't have been ported, but how about some middle ground?

07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
This is what Obulis looked like on the Pocket PC with 10 MB
http://www.ionfx.com/product_windows_mobile_obulis.htm

Bought Drop. The physics in the game are great so far.
07-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Can anybody translate the support site and get an email address of the dev? I'd like to invite him here.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/bjarneye

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper
07-06-2009, 10:58 PM
There's no activity whatsoever on his blog ever since he set it up on 2009-06-22 15:47,
so I think it's best not to count on any dev support for this one..
07-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Impressions

I just downloaded this game and wrote this review for it:

Good: Simple premise, easy to learn the mechanics.
Bad: Physics is sometimes inconsistent, tapping the chains is sometimes unresponsive, graphics could use a little sprucing up. There are a few spelling errors and the music is a little suspect. The game itself is fairly short.

This isn't a bad game, but the behavior of the balls is sometimes inconsistent. And the fact that the timing of when you break a chain is often very critical to being able to solve the puzzle, any lag often means you have to restart it. Also, it really needs more levels as finishing the game does not take very long. If there were a few updates to fix these issues, then this would be a decent game. However, until then I would rate it as just mediocre.

Overall, the game was somewhat enjoyable to play. Unfortunately, it only took me about 2 hours to complete and that's mainly because I got stuck on one level where the physics was being rather inconsistent. I would say there are roughly 15-20 levels, some of which do not take very long to complete.

After watching the video for Obulis, I had rather high hopes for this title. Some of those hopes were met, but unfortunately the video for the PC version makes it look considerably superior to this one. I would say this game is OK, but temper your expectations as the gameplay and graphics don't come near to meeting those shown in the Obulis video.
07-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtleknife View Post
This isn't a bad game, but the behavior of the balls is sometimes inconsistent. And the fact that the timing of when you break a chain is often very critical to being able to solve the puzzle, any lag often means you have to restart it. Also, it really needs more levels as finishing the game does not take very long. If there were a few updates to fix these issues, then this would be a decent game. However, until then I would rate it as just mediocre.
A dollar an hour is good value to me for this type of game.. maybe not for others. Hopefully an update will add more levels.

I have a iPod Touch 2nd gen. and can't think of a game that had bad "lag" after rebooting the device. Including this game. What device do you have?
07-08-2009, 12:02 PM
never played the original, is there going to be a lite version available?
07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
A dollar an hour is good value to me for this type of game.. maybe not for others. Hopefully an update will add more levels.

I have a iPod Touch 2nd gen. and can't think of a game that had bad "lag" after rebooting the device. Including this game. What device do you have?
I have a first gen IPhone. Sorry for the confusion, but when I said "lag" I meant that it often doesn't seem to completely register when you click on a chain (i.e. it sometimes (not always) seems to break the chain late or not at all and you have to touch it again to break it (by then it's usually too late and you have to restart the level).

I totally agree that spending $1/hour for entertainment is definitely a great deal. It's just that in the context of the price of other games, this one seems a bit short. Again, most of my time was spent on one troublesome level where the physics wasn't being consistent from run to run in my opinion.

But if you are into these types of games and you set your expectations reasonably (don't expect it to look like Obulis and don't expect it to be lengthy), this an OK buy for $1.99. I just wouldn't call it a grand slam, by any means.
07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
cool