★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Jimney Chimney (Multi-touch Arena Shooter) - Free (now v1.1)

07-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Jimney Chimney (Multi-touch Arena Shooter) - Free (now v1.1)

A unique and fiendishly difficult shooter came out today and surprisingly no one is talking about it.

Controls are simple, tap and drag to move your "ship" and tap anywhere else to fire in that direction. You can fire up to four directions at one time. It sounds easy enough, and it is for a little bit. Then the difficulty picks up greatly (reminds me of the first version of Eliss). and multiple enemies spawn on the screen. Using your finger agility you must dodge the many enemies (each with it's own speed, size, and color) while shooting them down 1-4 at a time. You can get multipliers for staying alive without losing a life (you only start with one life though, so if you get hit early on it's game over) which greatly increase your score.

You have no excuse not to try this out, especially since it's free.

http://toucharcade.com/link/http://p...321233345&mt=8
-----
Jimney Chimney is an arcade style game designed specifically for the iPod Touch and iPhone.

Built to take advantage of the multi-touch capability of the iPod Touch and iPhone you are able to move and shoot up to four directions simultaneously. Large numbers of the five different enemy types will keep your fingers on their tips, and your eyes not wanting to blink.

I do not ever intend on charging for this game, as it is my humble gift to the gaming community that has been an enriching part of my life.
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post
1.1 update is out

What's new
Added two new game modes:
Hockey - Try to get the puck into one of the three goals
Area - You only get points for staying in a small area

Added game modifiers than can be applied in any game mode:
Point Eater - Every shot costs a point
Bouncy Bullets - Bullets bounce off the edges of the screen

Added global scoreboards

Added guide lines, making finding the player easier

Bug fixes

Last edited by Prab; 10-01-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: 1.1
07-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Looks a bit like Eliss.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95

07-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
Looks a bit like Eliss.
Eliss is exactly what I though of when I played this. From the multi-touch controls to the difficulty.

07-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Kewl, thanks for the heads up. I hadn't spotted this one.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
07-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishu View Post
Eliss is exactly what I though of when I played this. From the multi-touch controls to the difficulty.
I meant graphics wise. I haven't played it yet.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
07-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
I meant graphics wise.
Well that too.

07-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Send a message via AIM to skamando
I am really impressed by the play of this. Nice, simple graphics and a fun play style. The interface needs alot of work. This could be great with alot of work.

Faves: Saucelifter, Westbang, Eliss, Edge, Tilt to Live, Mindwall, Radial 50, Super Quick Hook, Sword of Fargoal, Carcassone, Trainyard.
Playing: Super Mega Worm, Aqueduct, Monster Dash, FASTAR!, Shining Force, Frogatto, The Incident, Dark Nebula Ep. 2.
07-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Yea my first thought just from the screenshot was that it looked a lot like Eliss. Maybe not as good graphics though... Thanks for the heads up Seishu, I'm downloading it now!
07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks!

Hi everyone. This is Matto, the developer of Jimney Chimney. It's been really exciting seeing people actually talking about my game. Thanks a ton! I have been loving the feedback, both positive and negative that has come up today, and hope to address some of the negative in future releases. For example, I plan on submitting a new version with another game mode in the next week or so (which of course says nothing as to when it will actually be available... ).

As for the comparisons with Ellis, I totally agree, though it was completely unintentional. When I started out I was thinking "Geometry Wars, but multiple directions"... but after only a couple days of development it turns out that the finger gymnastics (which were completely intentional (including the fact that more fingers down means less ability to see the screen)) were more similar to Ellis than anything else I've played. Also, the consistent use of circles leads to some graphical similarities (though I admit Jimney Chimney doesn't look as nice as Ellis)
07-07-2009, 07:26 PM
this game looks quite fun though. has anyone played it and would like to let me know how it is?

yslandia- bruce lee. plus+/openfeint-sundance kid. gamecenter-hitmonleeurface
currently playing: yslandia, mega worm,bit trip beat,meow meow happy fight, zombie highway,monster dash,eboy fixpix,land air sea warfare.