★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Ultimate FPS Controls?

07-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Ultimate FPS Controls?

Out of all first person shooter type games out there (both currently available and soon to be released) which do you think has the best controls?

I personally love the controls in Wolfenstein 3D AND those in Doom Resurrection. The problem, as we all know, is that the controls in Wolfenstein 3D wouldn't work in a game where you can also aim vertically, and shooting and aiming at the same time can be tricky.

The controls for Doom Resurrection are spot on. It is by far the best control system out there! BUT, it's still on rails...

I'm no developer, but i both believe and hope that quality FPS games will be released on the iPod/iPhone platform. Therefore it would be interesting to hear suggestions on what would be the best adaptation of a FPS control system on the iPod/iPhone.

My suggestion for the Ultimate FPS Controls:

Two sets of controls. One for movement. One for action.

Now imagine playing Doom Resurrection...

Movement: When moving around one could use two digital control sticks like in Wolf 3D, one to the right and the other to the left. Up in the upper right would be e.g. an actions button to open doors and such and in the left you would have "mode change"

Action: After moving around in the levels one would encounter some enemies and click on the "mode change" button, after which the controls would change instantaneously into the control scheme we can see in Doom Resurrection, where one used the accelerometer to aim, and virtual buttons to fire, reload and change weapons. The dodge button currently inplemented in Doom Resurrection could function as a strafe button which enable the person to dodge sideways, but also go back and forth. When done killing the enemies one would click on the "mode change" button and continue exploring the vast pits of hell.

This will obviously not work in very fast paced action games, but for FPS games where you tend to do a lot of exploring as well as shooting, it could, in my opinion work really well.

What do you think of this proposed control scheme? If not, what do YOU think would be the ultimate FPS controls?
07-07-2009, 01:04 AM
As a developer, my opinion would be to implement an intelligent and self-correcting input method, based on whatever game your making.
I am afraid there is no universal "works-for-all" solution.

Im a working to put together a tech demo for an upcoming 3D engine, and I have designed quite an interesting way to move around, look around and shot around.

Making a good input for a game is more than the way to layout your controls.
You have to integrate them with what's happening in the game.

Example:
Taping the screen would fire if there is an enemy in range, but not if there is none.

07-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Cool, will be interesting to see what you have come up with!

Will a device like the iPhone with no physical buttons developer really have to think outside the box. One can only hope that the controls in FPS games will continue to evolve into something that works really well, not just something that works.

The thing that some people don't seem to understand is that on the iPhone platform you have to make some sacrifices to make a game playable and most importantly FUN. The developers of Doom Resurrection made the game from the ground up, making radical changed to the game. In my opinion, they did something right cause the game is actually really fun and the controls work well. If the game would have had controls like the ones in the Dukenukem 3D screenshot the game would definately not be fun.

There is obviously not only one solution for controls for a FPS game, but aside from a couple of games in the AppStore, most implementations are sub-par and won't attract anyone but casual gamers.
07-07-2009, 01:53 AM
I have played some 3D shooters from the App Store and I have found a few games impossible to play. And I don't lack the experience, as I am a gamedeveloper for the past 10 years

Thinking outside the box is a must for any game and any feature
07-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Hehe, so very true.

Can't wait to see what you developers come up with in the near future
07-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicMX View Post
Hehe, so very true.

Can't wait to see what you developers come up with in the near future
Multitouch opens up a lot of possibilites which still need to be explored.
07-07-2009, 03:23 AM
I also really like the controls in Doom Resurrection, but the "on-rails" thing can be frustration e.g. when you see something you want to pick up, but before you get the chance the "rail" has moved on.

But I agree with the developers decision, because all-in-all it makes the game very enjoyable (and you could consider the short time you have to spot and pick up stuff as an added difficulty level to the game).

But maybe a system as suggested above where the controls change depending on the situation could work (it kinda does this in Doom already, where the action button does different things and only become active when needed).

One could imagine a systen where you move around using virtual joysticks, which then change to "combat tools" (shoot, dodge, etc.) when enemies appear.
07-07-2009, 07:09 AM
There never will be good fps controls on the iPod screen, just buy a gamebone( or another because that one was kinda ugly )
07-07-2009, 07:24 AM
I think the way to do it is to have auto-run.

just tap the direction pad once and your guy keeps moving in one direction.
(if you think about it there's no reason why you should have to "hold" the run button)

That leaves your left thumb free to hit the fire button while you're looking around with your right thumb.

Last edited by 99c_gamer; 07-07-2009 at 07:26 AM.
07-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Keyboard & mouse.

Seeing as that is not available on the iPhone, developers need to stop porting over idiotic games and then smashing the controls onto the iPhone. Develop FOR the iPhone.