★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

App Store suggestion..

07-07-2009, 02:17 AM
App Store suggestion..

Would it be nice if your app/itunes/appstore told you where you rank in a category? I am in entertainment and sort by most popular and want to see where my app ranks. AT LEAST be able to sort by paid/free... I am not talking about the top 100 eaither.
07-07-2009, 05:08 AM
The App Store used to show the ranks for all the apps, just like how you wanted. But I think they only keep the top 100 now because (Im just guessing) its more lenient on their database servers.

(Again, I'm just guessing) This way, they can just keep one static list of top 100 for each category and update the lists every day. The alternative where you can see where each app ranks will require either keeping a set of large static lists or require issuing a (intensive) database query each time.

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
07-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prab View Post
The App Store used to show the ranks for all the apps, just like how you wanted. But I think they only keep the top 100 now because (Im just guessing) its more lenient on their database servers.

(Again, I'm just guessing) This way, they can just keep one static list of top 100 for each category and update the lists every day. The alternative where you can see where each app ranks will require either keeping a set of large static lists or require issuing a (intensive) database query each time.
The top 100 lists are updated in real time with some delay. Each category has its own delay. You can see apps toggle back and forth within seconds.

Developer at IMAK Creations, creator of ColorTilt and other lesser known apps, like That Ain't It!
Blog, twitter