★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: StarPagga and Lite $1.99

07-07-2009, 04:34 AM
StarPagga and Lite $1.99

StarPagga is an action based 3D space combat game. As a new member of the Azure Squadron it's your task to attack and defend in a variety of space environments. Choose one of four different spacecraft and take to the stars alongside your wingman in a series of dangerous dogfights against superior enemy numbers.

You can play multiplayer games over a LAN, enabling you to battle with your friends or alongside them whilst at the same location. It is great fun to talk to your wingman face to face and to fight the AI bots. This is particularly good for iPod users who will have internet access with on a LAN, but not necessarily whilst out and about.

Internet multiplayer is also a key feature of Starpagga. It means that iPhone users can play online wherever they are, providing there is good reception on their network. It makes the game incredibly accessible, as you don't have to be in the same room to play Starpagga together online, or even in the same country!!

There are a variety of different space environments available. You can fly around Saturn's rings, or you may need to duck and dive through the dense asteroid fields. The deep fog plasma clouds, where visibility is challenged really test your skills. At the same time, the orbital construction zones are full of dogfights and will require a degree of control. Playability for this game is paramount!

Features:
• Action packed 3D space combat
• LAN multiplayer - Challenge your friends face to face
• Internet multiplayer - Challenge your friends, anywhere, iPhone to iPhone
• Battle in a variety of different space environments from Saturn's rings, dense asteroid fields, orbital construction zones and deep fog plasma clouds
• 11 challenging missions + 2 tutorials + 1 practice mission
• Use the accelerometer to control your spacecraft
• Mini-map radar to track your position, and that of your wingmen and enemies
• Developed exclusively for the iPhone/iPod Touch
• AI wingmen
• 4 different spacecraft each with their own strengths and weaknesses
• Pulse lasers and seeking missiles
• Evasive combat maneuvers
• Periodic updates

One of the most action packed space dogfighting games on the iPhone and iPod to date!

Also available is the Lite version so try that before you buy

Last edited by DaveMc99; 08-01-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: lite
07-07-2009, 04:45 AM
ban comic sans

07-07-2009, 04:48 AM
seems good, I'm downloading the lite version right now and give impressions in a few

I tried the lite and I must say it is a very nice game if not perfect. It got all the basis right but needs more work in all areas i guess. It is a classic space shooter in the first eprson perspective, nicely done and fun to play.

Graphics are good, with intense fast-paced space battles, but models are very rough, there even is only one model for the four available ships. But the UI is very clear, menus are polished, the overall feeling is good.

There is an awesome music during battles, but it is the only one in the game and stops at about one minute. Sounds are fairly standard, with a very weak effect when your ship is touched.

The strangest thing is that the missions take place in a closed space, something like a very flat cube, meaning that you can't really go up or down, just turn around, and that you'll end up on a wall if you go too far. It kinda breaks the effect and illusion of freedom you have in most space shooters.

In the end, some things feel very amateurish, but i guess it is just due to financial limitations on the dev's side (like the pic of your commanding officer which you look like they took a pic of a random girl in the office). Fans of the genre should definitely give it a go, I'd recommend GoF over this for the others

Last edited by thevagrant; 07-07-2009 at 05:36 AM.
07-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Hello thevagrant,

This is John from Funsuma Games.

Firstly, thanks for posting some feedback, it's great to hear from the community.

We'll look into fixing / improving some of the issues you've raised with the game. Sounds like you've come across a bug with the music if it stopped, we'll try and get that fixed.

We're working on v1.1 at the moment which includes a lot of additional online stuff (leaderboards, awards etc) and a few tweaks to improve playability.

If you would like to review a full version of the game (which includes LAN and Internet multiplayer) then we'll be happy to provide you with a complimentary copy.

We are hoping to co-exist with Galaxy on Fire, FishLabs have done an awesome job with their game and we don't want to compete directly. We're trying to go for something that is a little smaller and faster to play (not to mention a lot cheaper! ) with more of an emphasis on community and multiplayer.

Thanks again,
John

Funsuma Games - The sweet refreshing taste of pure fun
StarPagga - 3D space shooter - $1.99
StarPagga Lite - try it, it's free
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=18048
07-07-2009, 04:29 PM
this an on-rail game by any chance ( cause if so i'll pass )
07-07-2009, 04:37 PM
I actually tried this out last night for a few minutes, and there's a good foundation, but it needs work. The game space is closed so you'll come up against an invisible wall that will automatically throw you "back on course". It's a little jarring, and a wrap around environment that re-renders would work better. The music is epic, but yes it stops looping after a minute so you're left with no soundtrack...not a big deal, but it needs to be addressed.

The levels and menus are pretty polished, but one thing I would recommend is changing the level layout. It looks a bit out of order the way they're laid out especially when you're scrolling and dragging across. A top/down scroll interface may be a better approach. And you may want to consider locking some of the later levels so there is an incentive to play and unlock based on scoring criteria. I didn't see an achievement system, but it may be another way to increase the replay value.

The controls work smoothly and for the most part I found the accelerometer controls for steering more than adequate. The random picture accompanying the text is a little off from the rest of the game. You may want to consider adding graphics as opposed to an actual picture to fit with the rest of the game.

Anyway, that's my two cents...I hope it helps.
07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
I actually tried this out last night for a few minutes, and there's a good foundation, but it needs work. The game space is closed so you'll come up against an invisible wall that will automatically throw you "back on course". It's a little jarring, and a wrap around environment that re-renders would work better. The music is epic, but yes it stops looping after a minute so you're left with no soundtrack...not a big deal, but it needs to be addressed.

The levels and menus are pretty polished, but one thing I would recommend is changing the level layout. It looks a bit out of order the way they're laid out especially when you're scrolling and dragging across. A top/down scroll interface may be a better approach. And you may want to consider locking some of the later levels so there is an incentive to play and unlock based on scoring criteria. I didn't see an achievement system, but it may be another way to increase the replay value.

The controls work smoothly and for the most part I found the accelerometer controls for steering more than adequate. The random picture accompanying the text is a little off from the rest of the game. You may want to consider adding graphics as opposed to an actual picture to fit with the rest of the game.

Anyway, that's my two cents...I hope it helps.
ah so it isn't on-rails cool, ill check it out then, thx
07-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_10 View Post
ah so it isn't on-rails cool, ill check it out then, thx
Sorry Shawn, not on rails...just watch out for the invisible walls.
07-08-2009, 02:32 AM
John, thank you for your interest in our opinion of your game. It seems that Albie encountered the same problems as I did (buggy music, odd picture, strange choice of limiting the space with walls) so I hope you'll be able to fix that quickly.

I'll be glad to test a full version of the game.

But don't get me wrong with the comparison with Galaxy on Fire. I really think there is space for both of you on the appstore, and I think you are proposing a much intense and quick alternative to Fishlab's game. You nailed the accelerometer controls from the start which is already a very nice accomplishment in my opinion. In the end I am just saying that your game is less polished and leaves some room for improvement. Knowing that you are working on it and listen to the community is enough to buy my vote.

I guess the invisible walls limitation is the price to pay for scoreplay and multiplayer, but could you comment on it ?
07-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Hi Big Albie,

Thanks for your two cents Again, if you'd like to try the full version we can supply you with a copy.

Are you sure you're playing the latest version of StarPagga though? The walls around the sides aren't invisible any more, we changed that a long time ago based on feedback. I think we'll make the levels bigger as well so people don't hit the sides as often.

We had a wrapping system like you suggested, but other people got confused and thought there was more than one of certain objects. In the end we went for something similar to Starfox 64 as we thought that worked quite well.

An achievement system is coming in the next version when we integrate Agon Online into the game. We're also increasing the max players in a multiplayer game to 6.

We didn't want to lock any levels because we've seen quite a few users get frustrated with games because they were stuck on a level so they couldn't see much of the game they had paid for.

We'll look in to the music bug, we haven't had it here yet though

Thanks,
John

Funsuma Games - The sweet refreshing taste of pure fun
StarPagga - 3D space shooter - $1.99
StarPagga Lite - try it, it's free
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=18048