Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default SpikeDislike2 by James Gamble

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Ooh, cool! Thanks for posting this.

\o/ Yeay \o/
The Spikes are back, and there's an extra bunch of new stuff inside, and a whole lot more to come, too!
SpikeDislike2 brings back everything you loved and hated from the last game, turns it up to full speed, and then shoves it all back onto your iDevice in a lovingly pixellated wonderland.
Come and enjoy the dislike!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I tried to grab this one yesterday, and was unceremoniously shown the door by a "requires iOS 6" message. I don't get it: can a release like this really afford to turn away willing purchasers for no apparent reason?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Yep.
I'm a sole developer.
I'm a one-man guy, going it along, and trying his best.

I've done my best to get it working on my own devices. All my devices run 6.x.
I can't test it on 5.x because I have no 5.x devices to test it on.

I CAN afford to release quality games that I know will work.
What I CAN'T afford to do, is to release a game that might break on older untested devices, leading to bad reviews and unhappy customers.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM

If you have the original, any reason to get this as well? Not sure I see much difference in the 2 games from the video. Any Game Center achievements?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

You gave me the original for free a while back and I loved it, so I owe you... this is a must purchase.
Love 8bit games, cheers!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 AM

"any reason to get this as well?"
Oooh, yeah!

1. The entire game has been rewritten from scratch. You're all aware it's a simplistic game, but you'd be surprised at how big of a difference it's actually made. The whole thing feels much smoother as a result.
If you still have SpikeDislike on your system, flip between the two and you'll be shocked at how slow the old one is, in comparison.

2. Less Menu! Instead of having that horrible 100,000 option menu system, everything's all compacted down into a much tighter, simpler menu. Each selection has it's own highscore system, (both on-device, and GameCenter) and each one comes with it's own rules and themes. It's quicker, it's tighter, and it also allows for a nice simple unlocking mechanism. (Don't worry, it's all score-based unlocking!! No IAP guff!)

3. Themes as Rules : One of the things that I got "stuck" with on the original SpikeDislike was that I made the themes as just skins. This time, each theme is a more purposeful ruleset, and you should be able to pick out the differences between each one. As is visible in the trailer, the Basketball theme, now contains hoops that you can dunk the ball through for bonus points. The Sheep mode, meanwhile, changes the entire dynamic of the game, and there are more modes on top of that!

4. More to come. I'm just getting started. Extra ideas are popping into my head all the time, and the game's release has spurred a few odd comments on Twitter which have, in turn, generated even more ideas.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayenkai View Post
"any reason to get this as well?"
Oooh, yeah!

1. The entire game has been rewritten from scratch. You're all aware it's a simplistic game, but you'd be surprised at how big of a difference it's actually made. The whole thing feels much smoother as a result.
If you still have SpikeDislike on your system, flip between the two and you'll be shocked at how slow the old one is, in comparison.

2. Less Menu! Instead of having that horrible 100,000 option menu system, everything's all compacted down into a much tighter, simpler menu. Each selection has it's own highscore system, (both on-device, and GameCenter) and each one comes with it's own rules and themes. It's quicker, it's tighter, and it also allows for a nice simple unlocking mechanism. (Don't worry, it's all score-based unlocking!! No IAP guff!)

3. Themes as Rules : One of the things that I got "stuck" with on the original SpikeDislike was that I made the themes as just skins. This time, each theme is a more purposeful ruleset, and you should be able to pick out the differences between each one. As is visible in the trailer, the Basketball theme, now contains hoops that you can dunk the ball through for bonus points. The Sheep mode, meanwhile, changes the entire dynamic of the game, and there are more modes on top of that!

4. More to come. I'm just getting started. Extra ideas are popping into my head all the time, and the game's release has spurred a few odd comments on Twitter which have, in turn, generated even more ideas.
Thanks for the reply. What about Game Center achievements, or are there just leaderboards?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Of course there's Achievements!! What kind of GameCenter enabled game would it be without having a batch of lovely achievable badges to collect!?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayenkai View Post
Of course there's Achievements!! What kind of GameCenter enabled game would it be without having a batch of lovely achievable badges to collect!?
LOL... Had to ask. Lots of devs opt for just leaderboards and don't bother with achievements. Anyway, off to buy the game now...

Thanks...