★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

3.0... Free?

07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
3.0... Free?

So I, like many of us on here, purchased the 3.0 update on day 1. I cranked out the $9.95, not a huge deal, but a pain none-the-less. A couple buddies of mine waited on having to pay for it though. Didn't feel that it was worth it yet, or some reason. Well 2 days ago, one of them went to download it anyways and bite the bullet, only to realize that upon updating it, it was free. No charge to his account was made, or anything like that. To this hour, there is still no charge. I thought, well hey cool man you got away with it. So we told my other buddy about it and he went to DL it about 3 hours ago, just to see if his would be free and once again it was free. No charge to his account or anything like that. Of course they are not complaining, but wtf? Has anyone else picked it up for free by accident or otherwise? I heard of like 2 or so people on these forums that said they never got charged for it for some odd reason when it was released, but ummm... is it totally free now? Or what... cause had I known that it was going to be free in 2 weeks... I would have waited that out big time. I mean a lot of apps are still catching up to 3.0 anyways. Anyone want to shed a little light on this? Is it really free? Or did my friends really just get flat out lucky lol. Discuss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelperMonkey View Post
Conservatives hate liberals because they think that liberals think they're stupid.

Liberals hate conservatives because they think that they're stupid.
Win.
07-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I picked it up the day it came out and it was free. Apple hasn't charged me yet. A lot of people got it free on the day of release as well.

Edit: And no I don't have an iPhone, nor am I a dev.

Last edited by S.I.D. CrAzY; 07-07-2009 at 11:50 AM.

07-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Are they doing this on separate computers or same computers that 3.0 has previously been bought on?

Twitter: @Zincous
07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
i watched a video on Yutube, and they got it for free but it wasnt like the normall way to DL it. They got it via torrent I think. (I have had 3.0 since day 1). But did you watch your friends do it? Anyways, thy might get charged later cause the iTunes store can lagg and not charge you right now but in like a week.

I payed 10 bucks for it and it was a pain...But to vget it for free pisses me off lol..10 bucks is alot cause you can buy Rolando 2 with that money..
07-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
Are they doing this on separate computers or same computers that 3.0 has previously been bought on?
They did it on completely different computers, with completely different accounts. They both have iPod Touches, and they are not devs. I mean I bought it on mine, and updated it for free on my wife's ipod (only had to buy it once kind of thing). So why the hell did the rest of us get charged? I mean that's not cool, nor makes any sense. I am fine with having to pay the fee, as long as everyone else had to. I will start complaining when several people didnt have to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourofl10 View Post

I payed 10 bucks for it and it was a pain...But to vget it for free pisses me off lol..10 bucks is alot cause you can buy Rolando 2 with that money..
My point exactly. I knew a couple other people who got it for free off a torrent, but it was the iPhone update, and they used it on a iTouch. Neither of the 2 friends I mentioned though did this though. And for the fact that I had to pay 10, and many people seemingly did not have to, I am a little irked cause If I didn't have to buy that, I could have gotten Rolando 2.

Quote:
Conservatives hate liberals because they think that liberals think they're stupid.

Win.

Last edited by Booch138; 07-07-2009 at 11:57 AM.
07-07-2009, 11:55 AM
You know since they didn;t get charged maybe its just a weird glitch in the system/server?
07-07-2009, 11:57 AM
I dunno why everyone wants to pay $10 for the 3.0 when there is going to be another ipod touch released in september with it already pre-installed.

I am just going to wait and get a new ipod touch since I've heard it might have a camera, better spec's, etc
07-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by appreview123 View Post
I dunno why everyone wants to pay $10 for the 3.0 when there is going to be another ipod touch released in september with it already pre-installed.

I am just going to wait and get a new ipod touch since I've heard it might have a camera, better spec's, etc
That's good for you man, but not everyone is getting a new iPod...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourofl10 View Post
You know since they didn;t get charged maybe its just a weird glitch in the system/server?
That was among the few things I could think of that could have been the issue. I have no idea though.

Quote:

Win.
07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch138 View Post
That's good for you man, but not everyone is getting a new iPod...

That was among the few things I could think of that could have been the issue. I have no idea though.
Quote:
They got it via torrent I think.
Or they got it from one of my favorite sites...

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

First game in progress...
07-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamboy View Post
Or they got it from one of my favorite sites...

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
No they literally plugged in their iPod in iTunes, clicked the update button, went to the page to update it an d clicked on whatever buttons he said, and nothing charged him. I guess the same with my other friend who updated 2nd.

Quote:

Win.