★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: $5 or more. Games worth the cash.

12-05-2008, 01:07 AM
$5 or more. Games worth the cash.

What games above $5 are worth buying?
12-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Send a message via AIM to Herp
Super Monkey Ball, Galcon is exactly $5. Besides those two... Really nothing that I bought at $5+ That I enjoy.

12-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Galcon

Risk-like strategy game. Real time, fast paced, lots of game modes, AND online multiplayer. Not bad.

Fieldrunners

Tower Defense game. Highly polished, lots of replay value. Two maps/game modes.

Warfare Incorporated

(couldn't find iPhone screenshot, this is from the Pocket PC version)

Real Time Strategy game in the same vein as Command and Conquer. Highly polished, HUNDREDS of new downloadable levels, online multiplayer coming up soon.

All $5. Take your pick (mine was all three, especially Warfare Incorporated)
12-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
Well I will have to disagree with Herp on this one.
I personally think that these are worth the coffee fees:
TouchGrind,
Bike of Die 2 (freakin hard {and too slow from the bouncyness.. :P} but very cool),
Real Football 09 has some good time in it too

lol, they are all the over 5 dollar games I have I think.. I prefer to buy 4 games for the price of one 5 dollar game. There really are some hidden wonders in the dollar section.
12-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Fastlane
SMB

/Thread

Last edited by Everydaynormalguy; 12-05-2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: typo
12-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
TouchGrind,
Bike of Die 2 (freakin hard {and too slow from the bouncyness.. :P} but very cool),
TouchGrind is a cool tech demo, but as a game it falls a little short. There isn't really much to do.

Bike or Die was a favorite back in my Palm OS days, really worth the money. Wasted many an hour at work playing it.
12-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Send a message via AIM to Herp
Quote:
Well I will have to disagree with Herp on this one.
I personally think that these are worth the coffee fees:
TouchGrind,

lol, they are all the over 5 dollar games I have I think.. I prefer to buy 4 games for the price of one 5 dollar game. There really are some hidden wonders in the dollar section.
Haven't bought TouchGrind yet, hence my exclusion. I won't recommend anything I haven't bought for myself.

RS09 is a good buy, shame on me for forgetting it.

Oh! And I think Nanosaur 2 is a good buy. I think it's still on sale for $0.99 from $7.99.
12-05-2008, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyNobre View Post
TouchGrind is a cool tech demo, but as a game it falls a little short. There isn't really much to do.

Bike or Die was a favorite back in my Palm OS days, really worth the money. Wasted many an hour at work playing it.
Although your correct about not much to do in TouchGrind, I wouldn't call it a 'tech demo' but rather a very cool time wasting skateboard simulation game with few things to accomplish apart from self gratitude of nailing tricks, like in RL skating and hence would recommend it for 5 dollars or however much it is. I got it for 6, but I'm in Aus (which seems to be TA minority?) so the price is different to USD but still in the dollar form, but whatever, basically I think it's a good buy because it's awesome. If you can't find anything to do, use your imagination and make up a trick.
12-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Although your correct about not much to do in TouchGrind, I wouldn't call it a 'tech demo' but rather a very cool time wasting skateboard simulation game with few things to accomplish apart from self gratitude of nailing tricks, like in RL skating and hence would recommend it for 5 dollars or however much it is. I got it for 6, but I'm in Aus (which seems to be TA minority?) so the price is different to USD but still in the dollar form, but whatever, basically I think it's a good buy because it's awesome. If you can't find anything to do, use your imagination and make up a trick.
Thing is, there's only so many tricks. Also, the game modes are very limited - you're basically just playing for points that unlock some boards that add next to nothing to the gameplay. It's a little limited.

Plus, the fact that you can only look at the ground directly beneath you make the tricks almost impossible to pull off, because there's the matter of the approach angle and timing, which are very hard to get right when all you can see is the ground under your board.

It's definitely a neat concept, cool physics, but not much more unfortunately.
12-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyNobre View Post
Thing is, there's only so many tricks. Also, the game modes are very limited - you're basically just playing for points that unlock some boards that add next to nothing to the gameplay. It's a little limited.

Plus, the fact that you can only look at the ground directly beneath you make the tricks almost impossible to pull off, because there's the matter of the approach angle and timing, which are very hard to get right when all you can see is the ground under your board.

It's definitely a neat concept, cool physics, but not much more unfortunately.
Yep that's fair. But like with all games, they come to the time when they just end. I'm yet to get there with TG as I havn't completed it, and I enjoy just cruising round and wasting time with it. But I do know that it's going to improve sometime soon, so I still recommend it. But I still say it's not a 'tech demo' as their is (small) objectives etc. but I guess it's not quite a full fledged game yet either
But it's in the games category, it's $5 or more, and I (and many) recommend it.