★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Roll a Stone Lite is out (free version)!!!

View Poll Results: Do you think level one in Roll a Stone/Roll a Stone Lite is too difficult?
Yes, I need more time to finish the level 1 25.00%
No, it's fine the way it is 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll
12-05-2008, 01:57 AM
Roll a Stone Lite is out (free version)!!!

Roll a Stone Lite is finally out on the App Store. This is the free version of Roll a Stone and contains the first two levels from the full version.

This game is inspired by the old Amiga game Rock'nroll. You roll the stone by tilting your iPhone, like in Labyrinth. The physics calculations consider both friction and acceleration to calculate speed and also make correct bouncing against the walls. You have to take all stars in the level to unlock the next level.

The full version contains 20 levels and a multiplayer mode where you play against your best score. More levels will be added in the next update.

Here is a YouTube video of the game:

YouTube: video

The same video but in better quality: http://www.rapidsmountain.com/Site/R...ube_video.html

Last edited by larsef; 12-05-2008 at 01:59 AM.
12-05-2008, 03:18 AM
Thanks for posting!
*Downloading*

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

12-08-2008, 03:55 PM
I decided to add multiplayer support in the Lite version too, so everyone can try it out and see how it works. The multiplayer mode allows you to play against your best score, by recording the motion of the stone. The idea later on is to allow people to upload both their recordings and download others recordings. This way, it will be possible to play against other players.
12-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsef View Post
I decided to add multiplayer support in the Lite version too, so everyone can try it out and see how it works. The multiplayer mode allows you to play against your best score, by recording the motion of the stone. The idea later on is to allow people to upload both their recordings and download others recordings. This way, it will be possible to play against other players.
Thank you so much for releasing a lite version! Downloading now!!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
12-08-2008, 10:48 PM
larsef - a question or two!

OK. I downloaded the lite version and gave it a go on my lunchbreak earlier today. I'll give some feedback once I've spent more time playing it.

Here are some questions:

1) I think I'm playing the single player version. I collected all the stars on level 1. I am then presented with a level 2 "menu" screen. Despite playing level 1 and collecting all the stars I can't play level 2. There is no play option in the bottom right hand side of the screen. What am I doing wrong or what am I missing?

2) Are there any ingame instructions? If so how the heck do I access them!

Thanks.
12-08-2008, 11:10 PM
I think you have to collect a red thing (star/ball).
12-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I'll play again and look for a red star

Thanks Carlos. I couldn't find any instructions in the game (unless they are there and I just can't see them). I'm pretty sure I got all the stars and the only stars I saw and collected were yellow in colour. I'm at work now so I'll play this again tonight and keep an eye out for a red star.
12-09-2008, 01:08 AM
The two scroll texts you see have the instruction, but I realize now that people probably don't read it. When I think about it, I would probably miss it too. I will add in some better help text in the next update, but here is some info for you right now:

You should not look for a red star on level one. The only thing you need to do is to take all the yellow stars, but you need to do it before you get less than zero score. If you get less than zero, you can still continue to play but you won't unlock the next level. It is done in this way so you can familiarize yourself with the whole map even if you get less than zero score.

In level two, you need to take the red star before you pass through the red wall. The red star is hidden somewhere in the map.

I wonder what you think about the game? Is the first level too difficult? Should I increase the initial score you get when you start the level? The idea is that it shouldn't be too easy to finish the level. If you just play it a few times I'm sure you will make it.
12-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the update. I did find the instructions after putting down my iPhone to answer a call on my landline phone and then picking up my iPhone again. While the scrolling text works with the retro feel of the menu it would be better to also have instructions that can be immediately accessed from the menu and within the game.

I like the physics of the ball. It rolls nicely and not all over the place if you take it gently. For example it doesn't bounce far off the walls.

I've found the first level way too hard. I get no where near beating the clock to achieve a positive score. It got really annoying to keep replaying the first level over and over again. Each time I play I get to about the same spot in the game when I start to get a negative score. So now I was just ending the game when I got a negative score as there was no point in finishing the level.

Here is some more feedback based on my intial play and impressions:
1) I can't play my own ipod music when playing the game.
2) Needs an instructions or help screen that can be accessed from within the game.
3) Level one needs the time limit increased so the average player can finish after a few attempts.
4) The colour scheme of the first level seems strange. I like the space background and the asteroid style ball. The yellow stars are fine, but the pastel like colours of the walls and floor don't fit the rest of the space theme.
5) I found myself having to tilt my iphone away from me at times when playing. It would be nice to change the calibration for the tilt level.

I haven't tried the multi-player option yet.

A couple of questions:
1) It's been mentioned that in the second level you have to get a red star to progress to the third level. What other differences are there between the different levels? For example, do any have ramps or differently textured surfaces? Or numbered stars that you have to collect in order?
2) Do any of the other levels have time limits like the first level?
3) Are you going to introduce a calibration feature so you can set your own horizontal level for the tilt controls?

Thanks!
12-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Here's the answers to your feedback and questions:

Quote:
Here is some more feedback based on my intial play and impressions:
1) I can't play my own ipod music when playing the game.
2) Needs an instructions or help screen that can be accessed from within the game.
3) Level one needs the time limit increased so the average player can finish after a few attempts.
4) The colour scheme of the first level seems strange. I like the space background and the asteroid style ball. The yellow stars are fine, but the pastel like colours of the walls and floor don't fit the rest of the space theme.
5) I found myself having to tilt my iphone away from me at times when playing. It would be nice to change the calibration for the tilt level.
1) I will add an option so you can choose to turn off in-game music. I shouldn't force people to listen to four channel Amiga mod music.
2) That's a great suggestion. I will add a help screen.
3) It seems to differ quite a lot how much time different players need. One guy told me he got more than 1000 points on level one. I'm trying to beat him but find it impossible. Other players say the score is ticking down too fast. I will probably make the score tick down at half the speed. Would that make you finish it?
4) The idea was to get a Marble Madness in space feeling. One reviewer liked it (http://www.frapstr.com/2008/12/05/roll-a-stone-lite). The colour scheme does change after the 10th level in the full version, and then it will change again after the 20th level once I have updated it with more levels.
5) I agree that calibration would be nice. I will look into it.

Quote:
I haven't tried the multi-player option yet.
It's not available in the Lite version yet. In the full version, you have to finish a level to be able to play against your score, i.e. you have to get more than zero score.

Quote:
A couple of questions:
1) It's been mentioned that in the second level you have to get a red star to progress to the third level. What other differences are there between the different levels? For example, do any have ramps or differently textured surfaces? Or numbered stars that you have to collect in order?
2) Do any of the other levels have time limits like the first level?
3) Are you going to introduce a calibration feature so you can set your own horizontal level for the tilt controls?
1) There are no ramps or differently textured surfaces. I'm planning a few things for levels 20 to 50, but it's too early to talk about it. In the current version, you have these different levels:
1 a) In some levels, there are up to three different stars (red, green, blue) you have to take to unlock three different walls. Some levels forces you to take them in a certain order. You sometimes get a time bonus when you pass through. In some levels you will open up many walls when you take for instance a red star.
1 b) Some levels are large mazes while others are just simple tracks. There's for instance one level with just one star at the end. That level is actually really fun when playing against yourself in multi-player mode, because you only have to focus on your speed and avoid touching the walls because that can slow you down.
1 c) Some levels don't have any walls and others have holes in the floor or in the walls, which means you can fall off into space.
1 d) The parameters for acceleration and friction are different for some levels, which means you will feel the stone is really heavy or really light.

2) All levels have time limits, but I will look over the difficult level now after your feedback.

3) I will add calibration since you asked for it.