★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Duck & Roll (rhythm game) 1.99->Free

03-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Duck & Roll (rhythm game) 1.99->Free

i haven't tried this, but it looks interesting; I don't want to let a potential underdog slip by. For some reason Google gave me the link for the Canadian app store...I swear, I think Google is subtly suggesting I het an android tablet and use the Google play store instead
03-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Oh yeah, and it looks "different" and polished. I've more or less stopped posting freebie links when I haven't played the game in question; if they meet those 2 criteria I'll go ahead and risk the embarrassment for posting a steaming pile

03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Oh yeah, and it looks "different" and polished. I've more or less stopped posting freebie links when I haven't played the game in question; if they meet those 2 criteria I'll go ahead and risk the embarrassment for posting a steaming pile
That's pretty much what I've been doing unless the game is super well known and loved.

I have a lot of love for rhythm games. I hope this is a contender. Thanks for the heads up.
03-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Perhaps Google is not-so-subtle-y telling you to move to Canada...
03-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by try2bcool View Post
Perhaps Google is not-so-subtle-y telling you to move to Canada...
I wonder what was wrong with Hong Kong? That was the last result it pulled for me.

Last edited by Greyskull; 03-12-2013 at 04:52 PM.
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Cool game, kinda a cross between a fruit ninja game (tapping though not slashing) and a music rhythm game. Ipad retina looks quite nice, and for free, I will say highly recommended. Screenshot from my new ipad attached.

Edit that duck with the guitar is kinda what I picture Greyskull to look like when he was younger hehe...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	55037  
03-12-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm digging this game so far.

It can be a little tough to figure out the rhythm for some songs. You'd think the rhythm would be with the guitar, but it feels like it follows the drums. Maybe I just need to play a little longer.

In any case, I'm enjoying it!

War. War never changes.

Last edited by slammajamma28; 03-12-2013 at 02:48 PM.
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Played through the whole game to the end... turns out that's just ... er... spoilers? easy mode, there's also a Normal and Hard mode. I guess that wouldn't be hard to figure out if you looked at the GC Achievement list (which this game has a fairly beefy one).

The game starts out easy enough. You can play through the first 3 or 4 levels with just one finger (or thumb in my case). After that things ramp up and suddenly you need to jump between fingers (or thumbs). Overall I have to say, I'm digging the game. The music is all rock. Some of it doesn't fit just because the singer or style sounds too different in some of the songs to be the same "band" as the story goes. Where as Frederic is all music by the same composer so it all fits well within the story of that specific game. Looking at the credits, looks like it's 3 different musical groups. Still, it's not a negative.. the music is all solid. Not sure how much will be added (if any songs) to the rest of the game... but the first part is really great and left me with a smile on my face.

Definitely GRAB this one if you like music games. I don't think it can unseat Frederic as far as iOS Rhythm games with a story. That game has some serious production values in the story segments and voice acting and stuff... Duck & Roll is more still shots and text blurbs. Still, it works. The underlying game is where it shines. Solid effort. Gameplay is no where near Cytus Level but it's better than Rhythm Control 2 and IMO could be better than Tone Sphere... I just need to play everything before jumping out on that limb. Granted Tone Sphere has a much better overall library of music... I'm just talking game mechanics.
03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
I made it to the end too. I like how it slowly introduced new mechanics. But then it started throwing in curveballs toward the end.

One small annoyance for me is that noise that is made when "Duck Power" (if you will) is activated.

War. War never changes.

Last edited by slammajamma28; 03-12-2013 at 03:36 PM.
03-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Wow, you all finish it so fast? Maybe I will just play it tonight instead of just lockedz, how long does it take to get to the end?