★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iTunes Back up

03-12-2013, 09:09 PM
iTunes Back up

I am going to sell my iPhone 4s and iPod touch 4th generation to buy an iPod 5. I was wondering if there was a way to back up my game progresses (Real Racing 3, Minigore, Bad Piggies, Bike Baron, etc). I was researching online and I noticed that people were having issues with backing up, such as the back up not saving app progress when they restored it onto a newer device. I couldn't find an exact answer to my question, so i was hoping that someone can assist me here. How do I back up my game progress and restore it onto a new device device?

Thank you
03-12-2013, 11:47 PM
As far as I know, iTunes has never been able to save the user generated data in games. It merely backs up the original .ipa file, which is absolutely useless for our intents and purposes. Some games have iCloud support but most do not. Even ones that do save to iCloud may do so incompletely; Punch Quest, for instance, only syncs your purchased items and powers but NOT your scores and records. What I'm trying to get at here is that if you want to save your iOS game progress, you're gonna have a bad time, as I'm sure you have experienced. Why Apple has not implemented a convenient method for syncing or transferring game saves for those with multiple devices is beyond me.

Luckily, you can get around this sad limitation without having to be jailbroken. There are free tools that let you browse the file system of your device a la iFile. I personally use iTools, but iFunbox works fine as well.

Different games have different ways of saving game progress. Most of the time if you browse the Documents or Library sections of your game, you will encounter certain files that resemble save data. For example, Infinity Blade's save data is stored in the SwordSave.bin file in Documents. Save that file onto your computer and remember the location you got it from. Next time you reinstall that game, simply upload the save file to its original location - you may have to overwrite the current file with your saved file. Open it, and to your delight, the game progress remains exactly as you last left it.

And that's all there is to it. Feel free to poke around and back up data as liberally as you want. Some entire folders like Documents and Library can be downloaded and reuploaded. If you can't for the life of you find that damn save file, you can alternatively back up the entire .ipa AND files together.

Here's the link to the iTools website. http://itools.hk/cms/webpage30.htm
I'm happy to help if you have any questions. Good luck and hopefully others will find this useful.

Faves: Punch Quest, Ski Safari, Plague Inc., Autumn Dynasty, Kingdom Rush HD, Magic 2013, The Walking Dead, Soul Calibur, King of Dragon Pass, Spell Tower
03-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotdn View Post
As far as I know, iTunes has never been able to save the user generated data in games. It merely backs up the original .ipa file, which is absolutely useless for our intents and purposes. Some games have iCloud support but most do not. Even ones that do save to iCloud may do so incompletely; Punch Quest, for instance, only syncs your purchased items and powers but NOT your scores and records. What I'm trying to get at here is that if you want to save your iOS game progress, you're gonna have a bad time, as I'm sure you have experienced. Why Apple has not implemented a convenient method for syncing or transferring game saves for those with multiple devices is beyond me.

Luckily, you can get around this sad limitation without having to be jailbroken. There are free tools that let you browse the file system of your device a la iFile. I personally use iTools, but iFunbox works fine as well.

Different games have different ways of saving game progress. Most of the time if you browse the Documents or Library sections of your game, you will encounter certain files that resemble save data. For example, Infinity Blade's save data is stored in the SwordSave.bin file in Documents. Save that file onto your computer and remember the location you got it from. Next time you reinstall that game, simply upload the save file to its original location - you may have to overwrite the current file with your saved file. Open it, and to your delight, the game progress remains exactly as you last left it.

And that's all there is to it. Feel free to poke around and back up data as liberally as you want. Some entire folders like Documents and Library can be downloaded and reuploaded. If you can't for the life of you find that damn save file, you can alternatively back up the entire .ipa AND files together.

Here's the link to the iTools website. http://itools.hk/cms/webpage30.htm
I'm happy to help if you have any questions. Good luck and hopefully others will find this useful.
Thank you so much, it really means a lot. I am more familiar with iExplorer, it is the same concept am i correct?
03-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar123967 View Post
Thank you so much, it really means a lot. I am more familiar with iExplorer, it is the same concept am i correct?
You're welcome, I'm glad to help. I'm sure it is - I've found iTools to be the slickest and least resource intensive but similar apps work just as well.

Faves: Punch Quest, Ski Safari, Plague Inc., Autumn Dynasty, Kingdom Rush HD, Magic 2013, The Walking Dead, Soul Calibur, King of Dragon Pass, Spell Tower
03-13-2013, 04:33 AM
I found the easiest way to backup your progress is by being jailbroken and use datadeposit app which is free in cydia. Your save file will be uploaded to your dropbox account in zip file. So, you can retrieve the file anytime. It is more convenient, for me at least than had to manually backup my data by using ifunbox before jailbreak for ios 6 was released.