★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Elasticity

12-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Elasticity

Hi,

I've been working for the past few months on my first iPhone game. The game is one of my old Mac games, Elasticity, ported to the iPhone - and it appeared on the App Store yesterday :-)

I have put up a webpage for the game here:

http://tonilaav.fidisk.fi

With screenshots and other information about the game - including the live online highscore lists.

Let me know what you think of the game, and if you have any suggestions, etc. I welcome feedback :-)
12-05-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm sorry, but i don't think another match 3 game is needed on the app store..and your concept doesn't really add much new concept, besides th ebonus items?

12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
oh dam a video would nice
by that i hope its not bejewel concept
have it already!
12-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeah this is a hard segment to get into, because of all the well established competition... is there anything unique about this game that sets it apart from other Bejeweled clones?

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
12-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Looks average, I've seen better match 3 games.

Just make sure you release this before Puzzle Quest comes out.
12-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericxd View Post
oh dam a video would nice
by that i hope its not bejewel concept
have it already!
Just finished putting together this short clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DzQtQbOoK0 . Sorry for the low quality of the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
Yeah this is a hard segment to get into, because of all the well established competition... is there anything unique about this game that sets it apart from other Bejeweled clones?
Well... when writing this game I didn't try too hard to make it stand out of other games of this genre, as my main goal was just to make a port of my existing game (which I wrote back in 2003 for Mac OS X) and keep as much of the original feel as possible. I did however improve my original game by adding the bonus items and the online highscores.

I did have a few ideas for improvements though, but I decided to stick to polishing the look and feel of the game to make it as good as possible.
12-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Actually does look pretty fun. I like the ball graphics and how they bounce a little and the drill power up looked cool. Might have to pick this one up when I can
12-07-2008, 05:59 PM
It looks very pretty. Nice sound and music.
12-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
12-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Well Toni, I'm impressed with your work. You took care of a lot of small details that make a great difference in any game:

- game modes
- music
- quality sound
- professional menus, including unique transition
- online (including Daily) and local high score for each mode
- simple but effective help (the sparkle effect when we scroll it is a charming touch)
- in game effects that are not too much nor too little
- different bonus system (only 3, could be more)

OK. It's another 3 or more match game. Here are two competitors:

For me Bejeweled is a classic but I'm kind of tired of its old (since Palm days) interface and sound (that voice kind of annoys me).

Another recent example is ChocChocPop. It is really well made but not well balanced. It's too easy. The only way to end my first game was deleting it from my iPhone!

Of course we'll have (and wait) Puzzle Quest but it's another kind of game IMO. Those 3 or more matches are more casual, for that instant free time that has to be killed. PQ requires a bit more than that, more concentration and even skills.

Backing to Elasticity. Making the above long story short... This game is indeed a nice option for the genre. Its production is not comparable for most of the $0.99 games at all. If we were in a normal store this game should be at least $5 and I'll surely purchase it.

However... Yes there is a "but" here. However, there is only a flaw. Something some developers are not missing anymore. It's a colorblind mode. That's a really important feature in any game that relies on colors.

Elasticity has 4 problematic colors: yellow and green and white and light green. They are too similar, even for me that can see colors (or maybe not since it's always a concern for me ).

You should give an option to select the colors the user would like to play with (include even black, red and other basic colors) or give an alternative set of balls each one with a different texture.

This is an important detail that you really should (have to) consider in the next update. You may lose potential buyers just because that.

4/5 until this flaw is fixed (sorry it is a flaw IMO).

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 12-07-2008 at 06:52 PM.