★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Payback ~ $4.99 => $3.99

03-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Payback ~ $4.99 => $3.99

Anyone played this? Looks similar to GTA, thinking of getting this.

03-13-2013, 08:02 AM
A good number of us have played it. Agreeing with other people, it was great when it originally arrived in the AppStore, before many other games. Now that GTA: Chinatown Wars is out, it's not even worth a dollar. It's a good iPhone classic thought. Controls are crappy, and the graphics stink. And I mean the controls are really terrible. Lastly, don't bother getting the second one, it turned out to be even worse. The "story" in that is not even your normal free roam type; it's more like levels.

03-13-2013, 11:47 AM
This used to be our first GTA-like game back in the developing App Store days, back then it was considered good until Gangstar and China Town Wars came to wash out this app, also you had to pay for the LITE version for this game and it was blasphemy! But in all this game was good for its early years but now it's pretty tacky and you can probably spend your money on something worth while.
03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
There were TWO pre-Chinatown Wars/ Gangstar GTA syle games, this being one. Anyone remember the name of the other?
03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
BTW, I think Payback 2 might be the same price, though it's more of a sandbox action game than a trie open world crime sim.

There was on element in this game which I really enjoyed: Every week (or day, I forget) you needed to earn a certain amount of money for your boss. If you didn't it was game over. Time passed whether or not you were playing.

That might sound like a poor design choice, but the amount required was so easy to get (you can sell any stolen car, for example) that it didn't really interfer with gameplay. Instead, it pushed you away from the often mindless driving and walking I end up doing in most fames in this genre.
03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
There were TWO pre-Chinatown Wars/ Gangstar GTA syle games, this being one. Anyone remember the name of the other?
Are you thinking of Car Jack Streets? They recently re-launched that one and gave it away for free starting at the beginning of the year.

I still enjoy CJS. It's a decent game. The main negative for me being the real time story line where you have to pay up so much money per real world week.
03-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Are you thinking of Car Jack Streets? They recently re-launched that one and gave it away for free starting at the beginning of the year.

I still enjoy CJS. It's a decent game. The main negative for me being the real time story line where you have to pay up so much money per real world week.
Teah, CJS. And in a previous post I mixed up the two. Just deliver a few cars to the garage, it's incredibly easy to make the money required. CJS came out before iapps afterall.
03-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Teah, CJS. And in a previous post I mixed up the two. Just deliver a few cars to the garage, it's incredibly easy to make the money required. CJS came out before iapps afterall.
Yeah, making money was easy enough but you had to be pretty dedicated to make it to the end. I played through the DSi version and ended up doing some clock manipulation to push through to the end. I just wish the game had been less real-time oriented so I could play at my pace.
03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Huh...this made me think of buyin payback 2. It isn't in the store, only the free version is. Good thin I never bought it.
03-13-2013, 06:37 PM
was a $1 before, don't know why anyone would pay $3-$4 or even a $1.