★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Fight the Landlord Dou Di Zhu - Chinese climbing card game

07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Fight the Landlord Dou Di Zhu - Chinese climbing card game

Fight the Landlord $3 but the demo version is fully functional and allows you to play 5 hands. No idea how many hands you are supposed to play but so far pretty good. I plan on picking this up when it drops back down to $1. Meantime just be playing the demo version.

Idea is to have two players trying to beat the landlord. If you want to be the landlord (think you got a great hand) then you can bid for it in an auction. Auction the more times it is bid for the higher the multiplier gets which determines the scores at the end. If landlord gets rid of all his cards first then he wins and two peasants lose and vice versa if one of the peasants goes out first the peasants win and beat the landlord.

Here's the combinations (I changed it a bit to make it easier for Americans to grasp)

Whatever is played must be beaten. Only bombs can beat anything and a Rocket (two jokers) can even beat a bomb. Note junk cards must differ from base pairs or base triplets. 2's cannot be used in triplets. Suits are irrelevant.
Card ranking: red joker, black joker, 2, A, K, Q, J, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.

1) Single - 5
2) Pair - 8 8
3) Triplet - K K K
4) Triplet + 1 junk - Q Q Q 4
5) Full House - 3 3 3 7 7
6) Straight (5+) 4 5 6 7 8 or 7 8 9 10 J Q K A
7) Consecutive Pairs (3+) 4 4 5 5 6 6 or 7 7 8 8 9 9 10 10
8) Consecutive Triplets (2+) 6 6 6 7 7 7 or 9 9 9 10 10 10 Q Q Q
9) Consecutive Triplets (2+) + 2 junks 8 8 8 9 9 9 2 5
10) Consecutive Triplets + attached pairs - 8 8 8 9 9 9 4 4 J J (pairs need not be consecutive)
11) Bomb four cards of same rank 5 5 5 5 beats everything but a rocket. Higher rank bomb can beat lower ranked bomb.
12) Rocket pair of jokers J* J*
13) Quadplex set - a) four + 2 singles attached - 6 6 6 6 8 4
or b) four + 2 pairs J J J J 9 9 Q Q. Bomb can beat a quadplex.

Also just a few subtle rule changes for four player game which you can look up in the help. Yes there are a few English typos in UI like Weat is West and couple others but plan to email author manual English corrections.

Also there is a 斗地主 free online version iphone app of this. Looks like you can play 2, 3 or 4 player. At first hadn't a clue what I was doing. Once you load the app. I can't tap icon cuz have 350+ apps so had to enable Chinese Simplified keyboard and drawing input. Had to draw the first Chinese character in Spotlight to get it to come up. Once you launch it just push the register button then type in username and password and confirm your password. Then login as normal. Choose a table. All you have to remember is there are THREE ORANGE buttons.

Left one is Play your cards.
Middle one is PASS
Right One is Exit.

I still want Guan version bluetooth or local wifi...that is my ultimate dream.

Last edited by mrbass; 07-08-2009 at 02:12 PM.
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
dont know about thi; impressions anyone?

07-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Think my point was the demo is fully functional. Play five hands is only limitation. No idea how many hands are supposed to be played. Anyway I still think I like Guan better for 2 player but really want human 2 player Guan version. Big Two is also another decent Chinese game like this. The game that got me into these card games was a great 4 player partnership game called Tichu which I used to play online but mostly with friends which is a blast.
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Used to play Big Two all the time with friends back in school, very fun card game, but I think it's way better to play with human than computer, not sure if it's worth buying these games?
07-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Here is a nice review of a guy who took a trip to China and learned it. Also four player is wow oh wow quite different with a buttload of cards and you have 3 against you. Pretty tough.
09-26-2009, 09:03 PM
A new free version came out last night and it's pretty nice. Landlord Fighter 38MB. However, it's in Chinese so unless you can work your way through the menus you might hate the experience. However, for those who can this has a decent AI's and has some weird rule I'm still trying to figure out. Not major. For those looking for a nice Fight the Landlord online iphone experience this is probably the one to get. The other one is free but UI looks crap and the other $2 Fight Landlord one has online but not as pretty plus it ain't free. Those who still need to learn the game get the one with English instructions instead.

I still kick AI's butt though...bombs away.

09-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah I saw that but most of us don't know chinese...now if it waas korean

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
10-13-2009, 01:29 AM
This Fight the Landlord version just came out with an update for bluetooth and local wifi play. Sweet!

Last edited by mrbass; 10-13-2009 at 01:43 AM.