★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: 82 Inc.
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 38.6 MB
  • Version: 2.02
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (3)
App description: PWN is a multiplayer strategy game about competitive computer hacking. Battle your rivals to take over networks using viruses, trojans, and backdoors like you were in a retro-futuristic hacker movie.

"Smart, highly addictive, and competitive strategy/puzzle action" - 148 Apps (Editor's Choice)

"The experience is simply exquisite. Such tension, such drama...it's just perfect...PWN: Combat Hacking is what I want hacking to be." - Kotaku

"A ludicrously chaotic, quick-fire take on the real-time strategy genre, delivering plentiful amounts of rich, strategically satisfying tactical action" - PocketGamer (Silver Award)

In this fast real-time strategy game you face off against other elite hackers within a 3D cyberspace and blast each other off the grid by tactical use of computer viruses, trojans, and spikes. Defend your own nodes with encryption, firewalls, and scanners. And watch out for hidden traps like backdoors that can decimate your network from within. Become the notorious computer hacker you always wanted to be.

- Real-time, player vs. player tactical hacking battles
- Eight hacker characters to choose from, each with a special skill proficiency
- Infiltrate maze-like three-dimensional network grids
- 10+ hours of single-player campaigns where you take out other hackers, learn and upgrade various hacking skills, and finally compete in a huge tournament
- Online and Local multiplayer
- Now with cross-platform multiplayer - download in the Mac App Store and play against friends on their phone!
- iCloud support
- Widescreen support
- 90 different maps to battle on
- No actual coding/hacking knowledge required!

easmussen82's comments:
Hello! I'm Erik, the developer of iOS game New World Colony. I just launched my newest strategy game called PWN: Combat Hacking. It's an action/strategy game where you battle other cyberpunk-styled computer hackers using cyberattacks just like your favorite hacking movie.

You get to launch Viruses, Trojans, and Backdoors while defending your network with Encryption, Firewalls, and Scanners. Each cyberattack has strengths and weaknesses that you can use against your opponent, so matches tend to feel like a fighting game where you are constantly countering your opponent, launching surprise attacks, and balancing offense with defense.

It now includes online multiplayer as well, and I'll be adding more and more features over time with the goal of making this one of the first true eSports on iOS.

Here's some features:

- 10-hour solo campaign mode where you take down other hackers, learn their skills, upgrade your powers, and finally compete in a giant tournament
- Eight hackers to choose from, each with a unique skillset
- Online and Local (bluetooth) Multiplayer
- Over 90 maps to battle on
- No typing/programming knowledge required

Update: Version 2.0 just launched with online multiplayer, iCloud support, and an entirely revamped campaign mode. Enjoy!

http://www.82apps.com/pwn

App Info

03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Game looks really cool. I will definitely pick it up!

Best of luck with the game.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5

03-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Looks awesome. And is has multiplayer support.
03-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
hmmmm... funny this one's coming out tonight...

Nameless: The Hackers is coming out on the 18th. Looks like a good month for 'hacking' games. =oD

Definitely interested in this one.

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Cardinal Quest 2, Pixel Dungeon, Asdivine Hearts, Super Retro Bros., Storm The Train
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;:
syntheticvoid
03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Looks like a crazy blend of the hacking minigame in Deus Ex Human Revolution combined with something out of the Neuromancer universe.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, FF Record Keeper, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx550 View Post
Looks awesome. And is has multiplayer support.
Thanks! Yeah the multiplayer is a ton of fun, definitely give it a shot. It's limited to bluetooth (device-to-device) right now - I need to do a bit more work to deal with latency if I'm going to run it fully online, since it runs in real-time and is very timing-dependent. But, I think face-to-face would be more fun anyways because then you can trash-talk.

Independent iOS developer. 82 Apps
03-13-2013, 05:27 PM
*pop*

Somebody said "Neuromancer"?

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
03-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Looks like a crazy blend of the hacking minigame in Deus Ex Human Revolution combined with something out of the Neuromancer universe.
Which are the two aspects that has me sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
*pop*

Tell me about! Love me some cyberpunk!
03-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bool Zero View Post
Tell me about! Love me some cyberpunk!
=oD

Glad I'm not the only Gibson fan here!

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Cardinal Quest 2, Pixel Dungeon, Asdivine Hearts, Super Retro Bros., Storm The Train
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;:
syntheticvoid
03-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Yeah, definitely has a Gibson/Stephenson vibe. The characters definitely have a cyberpunk-ish feel to them and could fit in with that universe. Neural implants, organized cybercriminals, information traffikers, that kind of thing.

Deus Ex was a big inspiration too - I think in terms of hacking minigames, it got a lot right (way more than Bioshock, for example). But it was still just a minigame, and I felt that there is so much inherently interesting strategy in the hacking world - encryption, firewalls, viruses, trojans...all this screams offense, defense, hidden information, all these rich competitive strategic components - that no other hacking game is really exploring. So I wanted to take those strategic elements and mash them up with the Hollywood pseudo-hacking aesthetic.

In terms of movies, Password Swordfish is a big one, Hackers too obviously, that scene from Goldeneye where Boris launches a Spike at the FBI (I actually created a 'spike' attack in the game based on this), Jurassic park, NCIS, etc. etc.

Independent iOS developer. 82 Apps

Last edited by easmussen82; 03-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.