★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

MechWarrior: Tactical Command - $9.99 -> $0.99

03-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
MechWarrior: Tactical Command - $9.99 -> $0.99

03-14-2013, 09:32 AM
SV, have you played this? I have my doubts as to the quality since it didn't receive much attention here...and I'm sure there are a LOT of hardcore Mechwarrior fans on TA.

03-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Yeah, haven't played it - reading the main game thread, the controls really turned me off.

MechWarrior Main Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkieSuthorn View Post
The actual game play so far is not too bad, however I do not feel like I am in control with the control layout. It is almost easier for me to let a mech die so I can concentrate on one mech juking to and fro, and able to dodge attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebmart View Post
The bigger concern is that the controls are, to be blunt, well below what would be acceptable even if this were a RTS/RTT at the dawn of the genre. Pathfinding is abysmal, requiring tedious micromanaging of movement lest one of your mechs get stuck walking endless into the side of a building or a tree. And while there is a nod to tactical possibilities in combat, the control scheme keeps getting in the way. For example, if you want to order one of your mechs to charge a different mech, you have to unselect the other three mechs, tap and hold on the target, wait for the radial display, and select the charge command. This is made worse by the fact that your mech does not always seem to execute a command, although this may be because the buttons seem to be surprisingly fickle about what they consider a tap. Furthermore, the payoff for all this fingerwork seems to be minimal, since most of the time you'll get the same end result by just tapping an enemy and watching as your team stands in place uses normal attacks on it until it dies.

Even for $0.99, it just sounds really really frustraiting
03-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Your search engine powers are weak, my friend.

Grabbed it last night, but haven't tried it yet.
03-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Your search engine powers are weak, my friend.

Grabbed it last night, but haven't tried it yet.
That may be, but my thread looks better than yours. =oP

Yeah, I didn't see your thread before posting, sorry.
03-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Pfft, no big. I'm not really into RTS games to be honest, but I took a flyer for a dollar.
03-14-2013, 11:28 AM
MechWarrior: Tactical Command on Universal iOS

We are glad you are posting about our game! Let us know what you find when you play as we are always looking for ways to make the BattleTech universe even better!
03-14-2013, 11:58 AM
ACCOUNT CLOSED: Officially Quit iOS Gaming
Tempted at the price but looking at all the control issues and bad AI/path finding, I think sadly ill skip it.
03-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Darn. I missed out on the sale. I'm a big BTech fan, so am looking forward to the next sale. Maybe next time I'll be able to grab it.
03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Sale on MechWarrior

I'm sure we will have a sale again soon! Just be on the look out for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildar View Post
Darn. I missed out on the sale. I'm a big BTech fan, so am looking forward to the next sale. Maybe next time I'll be able to grab it.