★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Sonic CD 4.99-0.99

03-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Sonic CD 4.99-0.99

C: :###
If you want to friend me on GC,tell me you're from TA and include your screen name.
GC: DON'TSHOOT!
03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Get it now..plain and simply

03-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Already own it, but if I didn't I'd jump on this sale. Arguably (isn't everything) the best 2d sonic game.
03-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Don't miss this! This game is fantastic!
03-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Holy Sh*T!!
03-15-2013, 04:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GEnYXVwB8A
kind of relavent. (okay not really).
03-15-2013, 04:36 AM
So you run through dozens of levels, one after another to get the best score and/or best time? There seem to be so many levels that one run takes forever. And the level design is weird because you can't see enemies because it all happens way too fast. I know that is what sonic is all about but it's not really enjoyable for me

Game Center: sink_or_swim
03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sink_or_swim View Post
So you run through dozens of levels, one after another to get the best score and/or best time? There seem to be so many levels that one run takes forever. And the level design is weird because you can't see enemies because it all happens way too fast. I know that is what sonic is all about but it's not really enjoyable for me
Seems like there are hidden emeralds to find and stuff. So it's got exploration too. I typically just play at my own pace with sonic platformers rather than try to get through as quick as possible or with any score in mind.

On the plus side, rings are pretty plentiful and there's no IAP to buy more. If you don't like Sonic games it's easy to pass on this, for anyone else, It's about as good as it gets for a Sonic platformer on iOS.
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Sonic CD is all about level memorization. I discovered the beauty of Sonic CD when I completely changed the way I played the game. The posts below are from the main thread, explaining in 100% what Sonic CD is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
The thing people tend to forget with pretty much all of the 2D Sonic games is just how much level memorization comes into play. There were complaints about not being able to see far enough ahead in the new game (Sonic Generations), by the very same people who also claimed to love the originals. Obviously they'd grown so accustomed to the games they played all that time ago they'd forgotten just how much trial and error came into play before they knew the levels like the backs of their hands.

You'll make a lot of mistakes, hit a lot of enemies and fall into a lot of traps, but on repeated playthroughs you'll get progressively smoother and if you enjoy the game enough to keep going, you'll eventually know the location of every single object throughout each stage.

If anything, that's actually the real "hook" with Sonic games. It's not so much the basic platforming that provides the challenge, but the act of traversing it fluidly at high speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Completely agree. It took me months to get into Sonic when I first started playing. I was a total Nintendo+Mario/Metroid FANATIC... and Sonic just didn't click with me... but after my neighbor kept making me play and play and play, I finally got the hang of it, and had memorized most of the levels, and since then, have come to love the whole memorization/quick speedrun/Sonic type "exploration" that comes along with the games. I learned after the first one that it takes a whole lot of practice to get good at sonic games, even if you're a great sonic gamer, a new-to-you Sonic game will take some time. And that's the whole appeal... because after you can get through all the levels quickly, knowing exactly which paths to take and not to take, most of the fun is over - all that's left is trying to beat previous scores doing the same thing over and over with just slightly different moves each time trying to perfect the level's run-through...

I dunno if others feel the same way... but that's what Sonic is for me... and exactly what kind of gameplay Sonic CD brings to the iOS... and I really could not be happier with it.
I just hope they will add widescreen support someday, playing the game with black borders on the screen right now is really uncomfortable. Nevertheless - a steal for a buck if you don't have it yet.

Favorites: The Quest Gold + expansions, Mission Europa Collectors Edition, Ascension, Jet Car Stunts 2, Junk Jack X, King of Dragon Pass, Kingturn series, Mecho Wars HD, Mini Dash, Mos Speedrun, Ravenmark, Sonic series, Fall of Angels, Highborn, Solomonís Keep / Boneyard, pixel art games, remakes and ports of classic games.
03-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy110 View Post
Get it now..plain and simply
QFT, really its a no brainer at this and the original price.

Favorite games: LittleWing Crystal Caliburn, Legends of Yore, Hook Worlds, Phoenix HD, DoDonPachi Resurrection, Spectral Souls, Bastion, Avadon, Dariusburst SP, Aquaria, King of Dragon Pass & Starbase Orion